• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

• Member No: 61995
  • 887 Thanks
  • 545 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 06:21 PM

What's "wild comb" and why is it bad?

It's been a lot of years since my uncle taught me about bee keeping but if my recollection is correct, the foundation forces the bees to run the comb straight and stay on the frames, not running across frames. It makes for much easier robbing and keeps the 'bee space' between the combs just right. I don't know if you have read much on bee keeping, but there's a real science to bee gums and the frames. I was fortunate to go to an ag & mechanical college, so I read a good bit on them for my uncle. This was long before the Internet had everything a click away and you had to go to the library to get a book or periodical. At one point he had over fifty hives that I helped him with.

Occasionally he would have a swarm that cut the foundation out and did their own thing. When that happened, we cut the comb out and tied it in the frame with fine sewing thread. When we did that the bees did get really ticked off and made things a lot more exciting!!

We never wore bee suits. We used a head net but never a suit. My uncle taught me to use a smoker and to never blow on the bees. Apparently the carbon monoxide in our breath really ticks them off. If I got stung it was usually because I got a bee trapped between by fingers. I don't remember what kind of bees he had(Italians maybe?) but they were very gentle and docile.

I want to keep a hive now but I'm in a subdivision and I know anytime a neighbor gets stung by anything it will be because I have a bee gum.

You'll have a lot of fun with the bees and reap the rewards next year. Maybe yet this year if you are lucky. Your boys are learning skills they can carry with them for the rest of their days. Enjoy the good times.
  • coldone said thank you

#17 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,237 Thanks
  • 7,472 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 06:58 PM

I guess things have come a looong way from when hives were made of straw. . .  or whatever those dome shaped hives were.

Edited by LilysDad, August 05, 2015 - 06:59 PM.

#18 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

• Member No: 58852
  • 849 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 05:10 AM

Back when skeps were used they had to kill the bees to rob the honey out. Today with removable frames it is so much easier and you don't have to kill the bees to get the honey.

Frames go in a radial extractor and the honey comes out leavening the drawn comb to be refilled again.

Capping wax is drained of honey and then melted down to beautiful yellow blocks.

:D   Al

• coldone said thank you

#19 Team_Green OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted August 11, 2015 - 09:52 PM

All of this is very interesting to me.. What do you do with the yellow block now Al?  I have a friend in Sask that gives me more honey then i can eat.. But bees for the garden and the fruit trees i will be planting next year makes me want them..  

#20 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

• Member No: 58852
  • 849 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted August 12, 2015 - 05:12 AM

The block is 3 pounds. I sell it for 5.50 a pound plus the flat rate shipping. People buy it to make lip & skin balms, cast bullet lube and what ever. One fellow is a furniture maker and buys about 12 pounds a year. waxes his creations with it.

:D   Al