Awesome tractor Andrew

• Bolens800uk said thank you

#18 Bolens800uk ONLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,164 Thanks
  • 918 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 09:26 AM

I am bit late to this post as I have been away for a few days.

Dave, thanks for picking up the 600; your photos of the 600 look superb. I would like to thanks Dave, aka Old Buzzard, for his help in this. I have been very lucky that Dave live near the seller and could pick it up and take it to the port once it's all crated up. Furthermore he got contacts with a local Cub Cadet dealership who will let him/me have a free crate thus saving me money. Last but not least Dave will be using his Bolens fork lift to load it on his trailer or pickup. His help in this matter cannot be underestimated and I really appreciate his time.

Thanks to everyone's positive comments.

Cheers

Andrew
  • Bruce Dorsi, MailmAn, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#19 Bolens800uk ONLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,164 Thanks
  • 918 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 09:28 AM

First, That is very kind of you, Dave, to help Andrew out !!!     :worshippy1:    :beer: .....Great pics, also! :thumbs:

Andrew:  You've got a GREAT tractor headed your way :thumbs: , if the ship doesn't sink.  :(   :wallbanging:

That blade is one of those #18531 attachments that is not easily found.  :dancingbanana:

When is crating to be done?  .....I may have the gearbox parts for the mower deck, if I haven't already given them away. ...I'll know tomorrow.  ...Is that an # 18440 mower deck? ....Does it have the rear hanger bracket (that attaches to the rear axle) for the deck?

Dave:  Would you mind posting the B&S engine numbers, as well as the tractor's numbers?  ....This info will be helpful, as I believe there is a mistake in some Bolens paperwork.

Bruce, if it's still available I will be very interested, thanks Andrew

#20 Bolens800uk ONLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,164 Thanks
  • 918 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 04:55 PM

Walmart really. You couldn't fine a old barn or something?

When it get to the UK, I will photograph the 600 at the front of Buckingham Palace and the Houses of Parliment (Big Ben). Most likely take a photo of it outside my local pub.
  • Macgyver, MailmAn and MichaelBeck have said thanks

#21 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 07:43 PM

When it get to the UK, I will photograph the 600 at the front of Buckingham Palace and the Houses of Parliment (Big Ben). Most likely take a photo of it outside my local pub.

Now those are "iconic" buildings :thumbs:

Nice looking tractor, especially for that price, Good luck with everything :rocker2:

#22 Bolens800uk ONLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,164 Thanks
  • 918 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 03:11 AM

I am looking out for a 600 hood ornament for mine. If anyone got one please let me know. Thanks

#23 Bolens800uk ONLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,164 Thanks
  • 918 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 06:30 AM

At long last the 600 is now in it new home in the UK along side fellow Bolens and a rogue Ford. It was meant to be delivered on Friday but they couldn't do it then so re arranged it for Monday morning. Whilst waiting for the delivery, I connected up the 1050 air filter unit plus a new air filter element. I turned the fuel tap on and it fired into life after several attempts. It was a wee bit smokey though. I also had a good look through it too. I am always amazed at how well built these little tractors are.

The 600 is just as good in the metal as it were and I wiped off accumulated grease and dirt to reveal gleaming paintwork! There was some subtle differences to Chris's 600. The three differences I noticed to date were that mine got a white steering wheel whereas Chris got a black one, the throttle lever was mounted at the front of the steering column not on the side like the other one and the foot pedal on mine is just a simple bar whereas Chris one is a more elborate pedal. I will be interested to see my other 600 to compare the differences. I think someone mentioned that this one from the US is an early example.

My thanks to Dave (Old Buzzard) for his time to check it out and collect it and storing it. Also to my consultant, Iain (slk-uk), for his encouragement and knowledge. I contacted several shippers but in the end I went with Chris Sutton's (The Showman) recommendations using DLR Shipping. Is it worth it? Was it worth the angst? To me, yes, as I have picked up a really early example and an original one as well of the 600 with a belly deck and a front plow plus a Brinly sleeve hitch for roughly £150 plus shipping. It was also saved from the scrapie too...... Would I buy another garden tractor again? Yes I would but it got to be in it original paint job with some attachments too and also one that you can't get over here. A Bolens Deluxe Ride a Matic from the late 50s would be an example or a Copar Panzer.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

Attached Files

Edited by Bolens800uk, August 01, 2016 - 07:49 AM.

• Bolens 1000, Bruce Dorsi, blackjackjakexxix and 3 others have said thanks

#24 Bolens800uk ONLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,164 Thanks
  • 918 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 07:09 AM

Also another video.

Attached Files

• MailmAn said thank you

#25 slf-uk ONLINE  

slf-uk
  • Member No: 62999
  • 183 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 07:16 AM

Looks absolutely fantastic Andrew :thumbs: The video walk around is a good idea. 

Iain

#26 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,169 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 07:54 AM

The 600 is just as good in the metal as it were and I wiped off accumulated grease and dirt to reveal gleaming paintwork! There was some subtle differences to Chris's 600. The three differences I noticed to date were that mine got a white steering wheel whereas Chris got a black one, the throttle lever was mounted at the front of the steering column not on the side like the other one and the foot pedal on mine is just a simple bar whereas Chris one is a more elborate pedal. I will be interested to see my other 600 to compare the differences. I think someone mentioned that this one from the US is an early example.

The 1962 Bolens 600 had the throttle control, white steering wheel, and clutch pedal as you describe.

The 1963 Bolens 600 was also gold in color with a white steering wheel, but had the large clutch pedal, and the controls mounted on the side of the column.

The 1964 and 1965 Bolens 600's were cordovan and beige in color, and also had white steering wheels.  ...The controls and clutch pedal were the same as 1963.

• Bolens 1000, slf-uk and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#27 Bolens800uk ONLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,164 Thanks
  • 918 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 08:21 AM

Thanks for the info Bruce. I will have to see if the steering wheel off the 600 owned by Chris is white underneath all the grime! Also my other 600 might have a black steering wheel too!

#28 Bolens800uk ONLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • 1,164 Thanks
  • 918 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 08:24 AM

The 600 as seen in Ohio by the seller.

Hope my driving is a bit more sympathetic :)
  • slf-uk said thank you

#29 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,169 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 08:54 AM

Thanks for the info Bruce. I will have to see if the steering wheel off the 600 owned by Chris is white underneath all the grime! Also my other 600 might have a black steering wheel too!

If my memory is to be trusted, I believe the composite under the white was black.  ...It may be possible the white has been worn away.

#30 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted August 01, 2016 - 09:11 AM

If my memory is to be trusted, I believe the composite under the white was black.  ...It may be possible the white has been worn away.

:ditto:  Black was the composite color of the wheel under the white, very common for them to be worn down to the base color after all the years in the elements

• Bruce Dorsi, slf-uk and Bolens800uk have said thanks