Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 10:06 PM

Went to an estate auction today of a guy I knew that collected a little bit of everything.  He was known at local shows for his Speedex's.  He had an S-14 and an S-24 painted up pretty nice, and a 1430 that he didn't get to before he passed.  He was only 52 and left a wife and little girl.

We actually met because of his Speedex tractors.  He was looking for a genuine Speedex cart to pull his little girl around on in parades and such with his tractors.  I had the correct cart but until today no Speedex's.

I went intending to get the S-24 as it was my favorite.  I should have bid more but a young neighbor of his wanted one of the Speedex's so I backed out on the S-24, way sooner than I should have.  It was still well worth the money.

I bought the other two, the S-14 and the 1430.  Both have decks and the S-14 runs.  The 1430 has a bad coil or other ignition problem.   The tractors were horrible dirty as they had sat in a shed beside a gravel road for some time.   At least the rain cleaned them some...

S-14.jpg ,S-14 Speedex.jpg ,Speedex 1430.jpg

I like the S-14 because it fits in my tiny lil pickup.  I was also able to get the 1430's deck in this load.  The tractor itself is at a friends just about a mile from where the sale was.  My friend bought the Oliver 66 seen in the background of the pictures and I drove it home for him as payment for storing my 1430 until I can get back up there to retrieve it.  The weather was bad with rain off and on all day.  Weatherman said no chance of rain until about 5 minutes after it started  :wallbanging:  then they started to change their tune.

My old Speedex cart was sitting in the corner of the shed.  He had painted it up to match the tractors.  The widow kept it for their little girl, which I think was a good idea. 

OH!!!  and as we were headed home on a two-lane hwy with no shoulder some dickhead was passing on a solid yellow line right at the crest of the hill.  I was going my usual under-the-speed-limit slow or we'd have been DRT,   Dead Right There!   He was going like his tail was on fire - I suppose 80 plus in a 55.  I thought he was going to lose it whipping it back into his lane so hard his full size Chevy went into a skid but he saved it.  I was sure I'd at least get the back of his pickup.   I got over as far as I could without jumping the ditch.  My tires were really singing until they left the pavement. 

Edited by Gtractor, May 02, 2015 - 11:06 PM.

• hamman, wvbuzzmaster, chris m and 3 others have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 10:31 PM

Nice, suprised to hear of them in MO!  S-24 is like one I have not complete, love those fenders with lights in them.  I also have 1430 to build and  another for parts, still waiting. I think that will be nice, easy to run tractor. Never got into the S series ones, too crude for me, yet the 14 was real popular. I didn't care for the two-speed trans in many, IF you wanna call it a trans, heh! I like the barn style or flat-hoods the best, later models.

• Gtractor said thank you

#3 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,892 Thanks
  • 2,795 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 06:40 AM

Nice score on the speedex gts and even more exciting story on the road well written had my undivided attention. Hank

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted May 08, 2015 - 05:14 PM

Update:

The S14 runs but the carb is total crap.  needle and seat look new but when I put gas in her I'd have sworn it didn't even have a float. Gas was pouring out.  Took the carb off and apart.  The float - floats and appears to be OK even though it has a dent in it.  There was no sign of gas inside the float.  Did a little adjusting and now it won't get enough gas to run at all.  :wallbanging:   Some mechanic I am....

Been too busy this week to play with it any more.

Sunday evening after I went to bed  [I had to get up at 2am for a long work day] my friend text me that he was going to be in town Mon or Tues and he could bring the other Speedex as he was headed this way otherwise empty and going home with a load of lumber. 

I thought that sounded good!  :thumbs:

Monday when I got home the 1430 was sitting in the yard.  That saved me nearly 2 hours of driving.  :worshippy1:

The left front tire was flat and when I tried to increase the barametric pressure inside the tube I found it had blown out.  Tire was ruined and tube needs a big patch.  I had another wheel/tire assembly that is virtually identical so I just put it on.  Other than color you'd never know it wasn't the right one.  No idea where I got it but likely at an auction a decade ago.  They are pretty generac - not rare stuff.

Put a battery in,  robbed the Indek key out of the S14,  and it had wonderful fire at the plug.  :dancingbanana:  The shroud was off when I bought it and the auctioneer said maybe the coil was dead or something.  It was sold not to run.  Shroud came with it and all mounting bolts were there too.  I checked the oil,  fine,  and added some gas.  When I hit the key it was running!  I never even got the chance to hit the choke.  Engine sounds great and no smoke.  I was really glad I bought this one.

Then I tried to drive it........

Tranny has problems.  In looking on the net it is supposed to have 3 speeds forward and a reverse but I can only find one forward gear and a neutral.  Tranny sounds like shrapnel is flying everywhere inside the gearcase any time the belt is tightened.  I took the gear-oil fill plug out and it was rusty and dry.  Tranny has no doubt been run dry until who knows what damage there is.  

In looking on the web some of the larger models had a Borg-Warner three speed like Crosley cars and Power King tractors used.  If all else fails I have an extra one of those trannys that has just been waiting for a project to use it on......

Hopefully I can fix the correct tranny - when I get time. 

Edited by Gtractor, May 08, 2015 - 05:23 PM.

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 11:57 AM

The BW's are not the same system at all. They mount sideways, run off engine with belt and sprocket and chain on other side to the totally diff bull gear rear-end they used. 1040 is just a one-piece Peerless or similar rear like many tractors used. I would look for another one of those and change out. Won't have to be just Speedex is what I'm trying to say here. If you look at the S model, you will see the axle needed for the BW. They had simple mount on each end of trans that dropped to frame. The S could maybe be made to install that?? not sure. The 1630's and that S-24 you didn't get, have that set-up. Many other models too. Still use the sliding engine for clutch on those. Your 1040 should have a belt tensioner under the cover and probly a Kohler engine then? Mine has the Kohler.

ON that Briggs carb, the ARE hard to fix all the bugs. I think most of them just Leak some, just the way it is. One of mine always had a pool of gas down in the intake tube after setting awhile. Had to run it to clean it out. Usually never needed choke on that one, and started in one turn most times. I've had others that you needed to "tweak" the main jet each time you ran it, it never stayed in same tune from one time to next. Even had to adjust idle mix once in awhile, but not always. There are aftermarket copies made, probly Chinese, that go for about $80 around me. Keep saying I'm gonna try one, never have yet. I suggest using the shut-off on the gas tank, yet it is hard to reach behind the tins, or put one in-line for when you are parking. I had many times of gas pools on floor with couple of mine.

#6 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 02:06 PM

Thanks for the info GL. 

This one is a 1430.  It has the belt-in, chain-out, cross mounted tranny setup.  Looks like the BW tranny will drop right in with slight changes in the tractors mounts.   My spare BW even has the belt pulley on the intake side and a sproket on the output side. 

I hope it doesn't come to that.  I really want to use that tranny on a custom project that I haven't even thought up yet. 

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 02:57 PM

OK, got wrong tractor in mind, you are correct.  I'll take a picture of my S-24 beater maybe and you can see the plate mounts on it. You would need those or make them. Making is PIA w/out some to copy I bet. Some of parts guys might have those to buy?

#8 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted May 09, 2015 - 10:16 PM

Late S-24 Trans pix. This trans is held on with a U-shaped mount and clamps underneath. My other 1430 had just two plates and they mounted on the frame sides with bolts. You can see in pix the pedal links. One goes forward to the engine mount to move, and other comes back to the pulley to push in a little arm with part of belt on it, for the brake to stop trans and or to shift easier?  Trying to shift these with the trans still rolling is NOT easy. Same as on Power Kings.  You can see the chain to rear axle gear, the cover is off a bit here. No belt in pix either yet.  I took close up of the link from pedal to the back engine mount and you can see the little platform the engine is bolted to and the little roller guide on bottom of the frame that keeps it all on and adjusts the play in it. Similar mount and rollers in front, but have big spring below to help push it all back when pedal is let off of. Pedal will over-cam and lock down when in forward to keep tractor moving w/out having to hold pressure on the pedal, a good thing. Don't take long to tire your foot and leg out otherwise.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150509_161616.jpg
  • 20150509_161541.jpg
  • 20150509_161521.jpg
  • 20150509_161512.jpg
  • 20150509_161505.jpg
  • 20150509_161453.jpg
  • 20150509_161439.jpg
  • 20150509_161432.jpg

Edited by glgrumpy, May 09, 2015 - 10:26 PM.

#9 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 03:21 PM

Thanx GL!

I think that tranny would make it a better tractor. 

#10 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted July 08, 2015 - 08:16 PM

UPDATE:   :deadhorse:

July 1st there was a consignment auction not 5 miles from where the estate auction was that had the Speedex's.  Remember this was one day short of two months later.

The sale bill had a Speedex 24 listed.  I figured it had to be the same tractor because there aren't any others in this neck of the woods.  I took vay-cay from work [need to burn some anyhow] so i could go, thinking here is my chance to put the trio back together. 

It was the same tractor allright.   I thought the neighbor actually wanted the tractor so I backed out early, although it brought significantly more than the two I did buy.

Interest was high all day and I didn't figure I had a chance because I wasn't going to give much more than I bid before.  Nothing had been done to the tractor - it still had the same flat tire and there hadn't been a battery installed. 

I bid $330 in the original auction and the tractor sold for $340.  It was well worth the money and a pretty decent tractor.

The consignment auction is a huge one with 7 auctioneers from all over the midwest calling simultaneously.   It draws people from all over the U.S.

After waiting in the heat for most of the day the darn thing sold for $850.  Over $500 profit, minus the commission!   I didn't intend to go over $375 so I never even got to bid. 

Maybe I should consign my S14 next year.......

:(