23 replies to this topic

#1 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 10:38 AM

Just installed 14.04 on an old Dell dimension M11130 Core2 Duo laptop with 4 gb of ram and a 64 GB SSD drive for the garage.  It has been running Win7 for about 4 years and I finaly got fed up with the endless updates.  When I shut it down to wipe the drive and install Ubuntu there were 113 updates to install after a week of not being used.  Add in that SP1 failed to install 4 or 5 times and enough is enough.  So far the machine is much more stable and works great.  Any other users out there?

Edited by Trav1s, May 02, 2015 - 12:00 PM.

• laurarg3 and georgepf11 have said thanks

#2 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 02:22 PM

youre talking Greek... I don't understand  what youre saying,  beyond having something to do with a computer....

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 02:37 PM

Install Radio Tray if it has access to the internet.  It's a small applet that will play music like a radio station but you don't have the reception problems you do with a radio.  You should find it in the repository.  I have it installed on all of my computers.

I have been using PCLinuxOS on both my office and shop computers.  I have found PCLOS very stable and as a Rolling release I don't have to worry about end of life.  You can request apps be added to repositories and you can discuss issues with the developers.  The best part is their forum is much like it is hear, friendly and helpful

I have used Ubuntu But I just never warmed up to the Unity desktop.  They say either you like it or don't.

• ducky and Trav1s have said thanks

#4 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 07:56 PM

I had Ubuntu a while back, but I like using Mint Linux.

Mint Linux is a spin off of Ubuntu

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 11:36 PM

What?? Thought this was gonna be some Foreign tractor from Europe or something. South African maybe. As posted above, Greek or any other language to me, I can barely run simple windows stuff, ha! :(

• dodge trucker said thank you

#6 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 06:29 AM

I think I am going to install Mint beside it and play with both.

As for Unity, I am OK with it most of the time.  It appeals to the Mac user in me.  Mint appeals to the PC user but in general is a bit easier to get around right now.

thanks for the suggestion on Radio Tray... I use it to stream music so that will be a nice addition.

#7 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 10:07 AM

What?? Thought this was gonna be some Foreign tractor from Europe or something. South African maybe. As posted above, Greek or any other language to me, I can barely run simple windows stuff, ha! :(

In a way you are right.

Development of Ubuntu is led by UK-based Canonical Ltd.,[13] a company owned by South African entrepreneur Mark Shuttleworth. Canonical generates revenue through the sale of technical support and other services related to Ubuntu

#8 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 09:05 AM

Installed Radio Tray but have not done the set up for my local favs.  After a bit more time on Unity I can see many similarities with OS X and like it.  That being said, there is a simplicity to Mint that I just really enjoy.  Guess I should have a half dozen old PCs running various distros in the garage.  LOL

#9 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 10:17 AM

Set up a virtual box and check out distros. Then the one(s) you really like install on the HDD.  Although just be aware that some distro's may not work as well in a virtual environment as on a HDD.  You do realize that you can make most of these desktop look and act like OS X?

• Trav1s said thank you

#10 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 02:41 PM

Set up a virtual box and check out distros. Then the one(s) you really like install on the HDD.  Although just be aware that some distro's may not work as well in a virtual environment as on a HDD.  You do realize that you can make most of these desktop look and act like OS X?

I do but the GUI is not as much of a deal for me.  My next challenge is the command line interface...   :watch_over_fence:

• HDWildBill said thank you

#11 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted May 08, 2015 - 07:13 AM

BTW - the laptop model I messed up in the initial post is a Dimension M1330 and it was originally shipped with Vista, then I had XPPro on it followed by Win7.  This machine was released in the spring of 2008 and has had some major use.

#12 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 08:30 AM

i have been using Ubuntu since 5.0

i havent installed 14.04 yet but will any day

i have used it on a USB stick and love it

• Trav1s said thank you

#13 LordSesshomaru OFFLINE  

LordSesshomaru
  • Member No: 71954
  • 9 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 14, 2015 - 07:13 PM

I love Ubuntu, I'm rocking it on my HP EliteBook, really works well on a Core i5.  I only use windows for games these days.

• Trav1s said thank you

#14 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted June 23, 2015 - 08:50 PM

As mentioned in another thread on Win10, I picked up a Dell Studio Core2Quad 2.2 machine with 4 gigs of ram and 250GB HD with NO OS from a local recycler.  Installed Mint and Ubuntu on it.  I find myself more comfortable on Ubuntu than Mint 17.1.

#15 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted July 14, 2015 - 07:24 AM

I am running Ubu 14.04, I have been using linux for several years.  I started using it only because it offers a lot of IT tools that windows either doesn't have or they want to charge you for.  Found out I prefer it a great deal and between using wine and some work arounds there isn't much I cant do.  I like that they are starting to adapt android apps for linux desktop.  I have also been anxiously awaiting the official release of the ubuntu phone as well.  I have never cared for apple products much, windows phones are getting better but still not a huge fan, I used to love android but its getting mainstreamed and commercialized like the rest.  So, I will be keeping an eye on the ubu phone to see where it goes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: linux, ubuntu