• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 68searssuburban OFFLINE  

68searssuburban
  • Member No: 67863
  • 6 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 04:09 PM

update on the overheating. was still doing it last night and was smoking a bit so i stopped mowing, opened the hood to see where smoke was coming from and noticed some bubbles coming from head gasket area. very slow persistent bubbles and i noticed some grass behinda cover on the back of the block. long story short i started by taking flywheel cover off and removing large mouse nest that didnt plug up all the cooling fins and a lot of mud wasp nests. with all that off i decided to take head off to see how bad head gasket was. wasnt bad but was all wet with oil and it appeared that exhaust fumes were getting into one head bolt from the residue left behind and the rest of them having oil on them or just a dry somewhat rusty bolt. anyway cleaned everything, changed fuel line fuel filter and reassembled and seemed to run better but couldnt tell 100% because i didnt have much lawn left to mow and it was rather chilly which may have helped it not over heat but i was trying to make it. i had it in 3rd high full throttle mowing high grass and it didnt even care. hopefully fixed but ill keep updated to hopefully be able to help others.  

Edited by 68searssuburban, May 21, 2015 - 04:10 PM.

• MH81 and Sawdust have said thanks

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 07:07 PM

I hope the head wasn't warped!

• 68searssuburban said thank you

#18 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,483 Thanks
  • 4,943 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 07:42 AM

Thanks for update, glad to hear you hopefully found the issue.

I bought my 16/6 because of one of those mouse nests. The PO said it quit running, ended up it overheated and cause the head to drop the exhaust valve seat out. I figured it out as soon as I took flywheel tin off and saw the yellow insulation, of all things, packed around the head.

• 68searssuburban said thank you

#19 68searssuburban OFFLINE  

68searssuburban
  • 6 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted May 22, 2015 - 01:07 PM

i didnt have a straight edge to see if it was warped but none of the bolts were super tight or loose and it didnt rock around when i put it back on so i think its ok. ill be using this weekend to mow lawn again in warm weather and fingers crossed all is good. not looking forward to trying to find a rebuild kit for that engine but if yall know where to get one off the top of your head it might wind up getting done anyway.

#20 68searssuburban OFFLINE  

68searssuburban
  • 6 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted June 06, 2015 - 03:07 PM

Feeling pretty confident that the cleaning i did to the engine and probably the modification to carb fixed my over heating problem. was able to mow my whole lawn with no issues other then the mower deck was coming apart. with the combination of bad bearings and good ole rust the vibration took its toll and now i have put a whole new piece of 1/8 plate over entire top side over mower deck and cut all new holes with plazma getting ready to be almost new again  but im in need of the bearing numbers converted to like some napa numbers or timken so if anyone watching this has the ability or knowledge to convert sears numbers to something useful would be greatly appreciated.