• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 68searssuburban OFFLINE  

68searssuburban
  • Member No: 67863
  • 6 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 09:39 AM

I bought a 68seras suburban over winter and was using it to plow driveway and now was trying to mowe my lawn. Unfortunately I had noticed an issue before but I thought I was just being rough pushing back snow banks. After working it for awhile the tone of the exhaust would change then it would loose some power and start throwing flames out of the muffler. Well now it's warm and I don't think I mowed with it for ten minutes and it started acting up.

I'm wondering if this is a tucumsa problem or if it is just getting tired. It does smoke a little but when running right has plenty of power. I've only played with brigs so I'm kinda lost with this tucumsa. Any bit of info would help. Thanks
  • tinbender7 said thank you

#2 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 11:12 AM

welcome to the forum. I have a techi engine and it does fine, somebody in here will be able to help when they see this. it helps to have the model number and pictures if possible. all I know about it is how to mow grass with it.

• 68searssuburban said thank you

#3 68searssuburban OFFLINE  

68searssuburban
  • 6 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 11:29 AM

I would post pics but I'm going off my phone and having issues uploading a photo. Ill look for some model numbers and such

#4 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 12:07 PM

Could have water in the bottom of the float bowl.Could have a blown head gasket or Loose Head bolts.

Big thing with older LME carbs on Tecumseh engines is the EMULSION TUBE.If it doesn't have the Serviceable EMULSION TUBE then you MUST either Modify it or Replace it with a Serviceable EMULSION TUBE once it is removed.

They used to install the EMULSION TUBE then drill the main atmospheric vent hole.Once you remove the EMULSION TUBE the hole will no longer be lined up.

Here lets see if my camera cooperates.lol

100_1344.JPG

The last one that I Modified I used a Hack saw and Carefully cut the slot.All you want to do it cut a slot that is a Tiny bit deeper than the threads.Any deeper and you'll cut through to the inside.

My old Sears starts and runs 100 times better now.To bad it was run like that for a long time by the PO.I had to end up replacing the Rings and Connecting rod.It was basically running Extremely Lean.Kept getting HOT and was beginning to burn out the baffle in the muffler.Thus it was throwing sparks and flame out of it.

Edited by EricFromPa, May 02, 2015 - 12:14 PM.

• Alc, boyscout862 and 68searssuburban have said thanks

#5 68searssuburban OFFLINE  

68searssuburban
  • 6 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 12:37 PM

That lean issue almost sounds dead on. It can't be head gasket because it starts with usually one rotation and has lots of power. Water in the carb? I guess I'll check that when I tear down the carb. Thanks.

#6 68searssuburban OFFLINE  

68searssuburban
  • 6 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 02:25 PM

So I have a model number of engine but can't find it online. Even cross referenced craftsman to tecumsuh and nothing.

Model # 143-s82022 yes it's an s and not a 5 because that model I couldn't find either.would like to find a manual of engine if one exists.

#7 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 04:00 PM

Welcome to GTT. Another possibility is the flywheel key being a little deformed. Check out our Manuals Section for 3 free downloads per day. Good Luck, Rick

#8 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 05:20 PM

I have to agree with the above that it sounds like you're getting a lean mix, but why is it changing?. Heat shouldnt affect mix that much (yes, i know, it can... carb to intake flange, etc) It may just be that you're dealing with a slow valve, my guess would be exhaust.
I would go buy some Marvel Mystery Oil and add some to both the oil and the gas. Heavy mix on the gas
If not MMO, possibly Seafoam?
Run it and you should be able to notice a difference in the time to when it has an issue as your first sign that it's a valve issue.

#9 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 07:38 PM

Welcome! 

Does it have the SSI ignition?betting it's getting hot and the electronics are breaking down and you are losing spark and timing. 

The module on my Tecumseh would lose power then just die. After 10 mins or so of cool down, it would fire back up and run for a bit. 

• MH81 and 68searssuburban have said thanks

#10 68searssuburban OFFLINE  

68searssuburban
  • 6 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 08:42 AM

It does have a solid state ignition but it doesn't just die. It starts getting really hot and then will start cutting out.

#11 68searssuburban OFFLINE  

68searssuburban
  • 6 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 08:43 AM

I modified the carb but need to know the proper belt size for mower before I can test it out. Anyone know the deck drive belt size or part number?

#12 68searssuburban OFFLINE  

68searssuburban
  • 6 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 10:30 AM

I failed to say it is a 68 Sears suburban 12.

#13 68searssuburban OFFLINE  

68searssuburban
  • 6 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 12:16 PM

got a picture up and belt size hopefully and also downloaded owners manual off this site and in the trouble shooting section it said overheating would be caused by dirty carb or misadjustment so havent run it much yet but pretty confident the emultion tube was the culprate.  I will keep updated. thank you all for the suggestions

#14 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 02:07 PM

Ya once you take the tube out (if it's not the Serviceable type) it will run like complete Crap.

My 10XL starts almost Instantly now that i cut the slot in the tube.I am now having overheating issues after about an hour of running.But that's due to the muffler being Under the hood and it has a hole rusted through the side of it and it's blowing hot exhaust almost directly on to the float bowl.I burnt myself when I grabbed the bowl screw to adjust it.The whole carb was to hot to touch.

I'm going to Extend the exhaust out from under the hood and put a new pepper shaker muffler on it.Just got a muffler today but gota go pick up a 4" piece of pipe yet.

It just has a 1 inch nipple then the muffler on it.4" should just clear the hood with the muffler on.I'll measure again before I go pick one up.I just completely rebuilt the HH100 in the Custom this spring.She's a really smooth and strong runner now.She Mows grass like no ones business.I bet it throws grass out the side 6-8 Feet.

Edited by EricFromPa, May 10, 2015 - 02:09 PM.

#15 68searssuburban OFFLINE  

68searssuburban
  • 6 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 02:24 PM

i just did the exhaust on my 12 and it took 6" to get out far enough for a 90 up and 3" stack so 4" might be close.

• MH81 said thank you