Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,570 Thanks
  • 3,895 posts

Posted May 01, 2015 - 10:50 PM

Been talkin about tellin' AT&T what they can do with my land line for some time now.  The MRS always has a fit when I bring it up. 

Work pays for a cell for me and the MRS has her own cell so I kept asking why I was paying $47.37 per month just so Rachel from Cardholder Services could wake me up and harrass me whenever I didn't want to be bothered. 

Last week the debt consolidation calls were in high gear, also Arbitron Ratings seemed to think I was in dire need of taking some sort of survey.  When I'd tell the bill consolidation people I have no debt they'd get mad at me!  They were the ones that called me!

Tonight I called AT&T and told them to unplug me.  The gal who seemed American, to my surprise, asked if there was a problem.  I told her I sometimes sleep daytimes and I only get spam calls.  I could see no need to continue the service.  She offered a new number free of charge.  :wallbanging:

I told her I never gave the old number to any telemarketing "services" and that would only slow them for the short term. 

I was on every "no-call" list I could find and it did no good.  People that know me email or message through Facebook. People I work with use my company cell so BOOM!  $50 more per month in my pocket. 

Another bonus in not having a land line is when my mother calls and gives me the details of her brothers bowell movements, I'll have an "out".  I can say that "I'm not supposed to tie up this company cell phone". 

Mom takes care of her disabled brother so I get a gobb and a bunch of details that no one would want......   

On a related note I called Dish Network earlier in the week and told them what they could do with their services.  We went to one of those new digital antennas and it has 27 totally free channels. Might get more channels if I rotate the antenna.  I see no need.

Dish did their standard offer to knock $30 per month off the bill for the next 6 months if I'd stay.  I had to get a lil nasty to get my point across to this barely-could-speak-english fellow,  but he eventually got my point.  :smilewink:

Tractor fund is going up exponentially!

• MH81, Alc, wvbuzzmaster and 9 others have said thanks

#2 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,834 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 01:06 AM

Both of my sons have gotten rid of their land lines for the same reasons. When I get a "spam" call from someone whose mother tongue is obviously other than English I sometimes reply in pig latin---throws them every time, lol.
  • Gtractor, MH81, IamSherwood and 3 others have said thanks

#3 1oldbuzz OFFLINE  

1oldbuzz
  • Member No: 61298
  • 257 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 04:06 AM

What a racket you pay $47.37 for a land line.

In Wisconsin my land line is $69 and that doesn't include the internet.

Not looking for the answer but just how can there be just a difference in phone rates?

I sure to miss the old days of Wisconsin bell when a phone bill/service was under $20

• Gtractor, IamSherwood, tinbender7 and 1 other said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,515 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 05:00 AM

I got rid of my Frontier landline and got MajicJack at Walmart. Its $70 per year and works through the internet. Still get the scam and spam calls but I just laugh at them and say "I'm not stupid enough to fall for that". Good Luck, Rick

• Gtractor and tinbender7 have said thanks

#5 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,863 Thanks
  • 2,786 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 05:27 AM

I only wish I could get my wife to quit the hard line it is a pain in my ass all day long robo calls she has a cell what's the problem I ask? ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

#6 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 06:04 AM

I'll be doing the same, as soon as I can, but for now I have to keep it live

for business purposes. I can't wait to shut them down.

But, I keep getting marketing texts on my cell, from Bell. I might throw that thing in the lake soon, and

learn how to send smoke signals.

• Gtractor, MH81 and tinbender7 have said thanks

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 06:08 AM

I'll be doing the same, as soon as I can, but for now I have to keep it live
for business purposes. I can't wait to shut them down.

But, I keep getting marketing texts on my cell, from Bell. I might throw that thing in the lake soon, and
learn how to send smoke signals.

Make sure you get the smoky fire with text...
  • IamSherwood, tinbender7 and superaben have said thanks

#8 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 06:10 AM

Make sure you get the smoky fire with text...

Still searching for that App

• tinbender7 said thank you

#9 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,101 Thanks
  • 3,194 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 06:34 AM

We got rid of our land line too. 70.00 bucks a month for nothing. Noel

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 06:38 AM

I've got to look into that as well. The bill fro phone and internet is probably more than the power bill! I remember when telephone service was cheap. 

• Gtractor, Alc, tinbender7 and 2 others have said thanks

#11 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 07:18 AM

No land lines for me
  • Gtractor said thank you

#12 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 07:37 AM

I would love to dump our phone service too but one big problem. No cell service where we live. Have to go out across the road on the other side of the power lines and face SE just right to get 2 bars. If you turn while talking - back up and try again. Our phone and Dish bill runs about $120 a month. We are big NASCAR fans and have an extra package to get all the races. We are on REC so electric bill is high, like about $125 on a good month. Winter is over $200. Those digital antennas only work with a short distance of the transmission station. Been there done that. Usually the "free" channels are crap channels I wouldn't watch to start with. I guess that is the price I have to pay to live in a nice quiet, private, secluded area where we see one vehicle a day, the mail man. Lot of times will go a week with no other vehicles going buy, not even the neighbors.
  • Gtractor, Alc, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#13 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 962 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 08:00 AM

We use the land line to provide internet access. At the moment it is the best option although I'm sure that will change.

It's a DSL type system as near as I can figure so it doesn't work without a phone line,

Fairly slow so large pictures and videos are not really an option unless you like to watch the little wheel spin around a lot. 3 G on a good day with a cell phone and if 4 G becomes available then the phone line will be unhooked along with the line based internet.

We use an antenna for tv got tired of paying ever increasing rates to the dish providers, really don't miss the dish network we get good reception as we are on a hill top and most channels are within 60 miles.

• Gtractor and propane1 have said thanks

#14 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,433 Thanks
  • 947 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 08:34 AM

No land line or cable tv here. 

When you put your phone # on a no call list do you really think that list is not for sale? 

• Gtractor, boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks