5 replies to this topic

#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,519 Thanks
  • 6,381 posts

Posted May 01, 2015 - 07:12 AM

My speedex has 1" wide rubber strips on the strap metal for the gas tank to set on. They were glued on I guess and not too well. Kinda rotted out. I would like to put back about same thing or some other cloth like tape and not sure what to get. My local Ace didn't have any rubber in strips, didn't look at tape yet. I don't want Foam, which is easy to find in weatherstrip aisle, want it to be heavier. What have you guys found for such a use?  The tank has two big straps to hold it on the mounting area, just need some kind of padding there. Prefer 1" wide and self-stick.

• hamman said thank you

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,528 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted May 01, 2015 - 07:41 AM

I got some rubber in a 24" x 24" from TSC (used to be Quality farm and fleet) quite a few years ago. I haven't seen it in any stored in a long time. I have seen a rubber matting on a roll at a couple of places that might be what you need.   Good luck                                                                                                   Roger

#3 tater195 OFFLINE  

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,261 Thanks
  • 897 posts

Posted May 01, 2015 - 08:19 AM

Hit up the local electrician for  "3M™ Scotch 130C Linerless Rubber Splicing Tape"

They will probably have a short roll that they will give you. New price is in the $25-40 range

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,119 Thanks
  • 5,669 posts

Posted May 01, 2015 - 08:44 AM

Bicycle inner tube.

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 01, 2015 - 09:57 AM

Bicycle inner tube.

Any innertube will work. I never throw away old tire innertubes if the rubber looks decent, just cut it up for padding on all sorts of things. I use it on the manual tire changer when mounting tires on freshly painted rims. It really cuts down on how much touch up painting is required.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#6 twostacks OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted May 01, 2015 - 11:07 AM

Oliver tractors use a heavy woven fabric strip between the fuel tank and the mount. I've gotten them from Steiner Tractor in the past. I'd be surprised if you couldn't pick it up at your local farm store.