Jump to content

Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Gas tank mounting strips?

  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  


    Getting Out!

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,617 Thanks
  • 7,923 posts
  • Location: Huntington, IN 46750 North East in State

Posted May 01, 2015 - 07:12 AM

My speedex has 1" wide rubber strips on the strap metal for the gas tank to set on. They were glued on I guess and not too well. Kinda rotted out. I would like to put back about same thing or some other cloth like tape and not sure what to get. My local Ace didn't have any rubber in strips, didn't look at tape yet. I don't want Foam, which is easy to find in weatherstrip aisle, want it to be heavier. What have you guys found for such a use?  The tank has two big straps to hold it on the mounting area, just need some kind of padding there. Prefer 1" wide and self-stick.

  • hamman said thank you

#2 hamman OFFLINE  


    Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 6,436 Thanks
  • 2,860 posts
  • Location: Michigan

Posted May 01, 2015 - 07:41 AM

I got some rubber in a 24" x 24" from TSC (used to be Quality farm and fleet) quite a few years ago. I haven't seen it in any stored in a long time. I have seen a rubber matting on a roll at a couple of places that might be what you need.   Good luck                                                                                                   Roger

#3 tater195 OFFLINE  


    I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 62468
  • 2,200 Thanks
  • 1,413 posts

Posted May 01, 2015 - 08:19 AM

Hit up the local electrician for  "3M™ Scotch 130C Linerless Rubber Splicing Tape"

They will probably have a short roll that they will give you. New price is in the $25-40 range

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  


    GT Lunatic

  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 26142
  • 4,204 Thanks
  • 5,802 posts
  • Location: Newport, N.C.

Posted May 01, 2015 - 08:44 AM

Bicycle inner tube.

#5 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  


    Squeaky Wheel

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,716 Thanks
  • 7,423 posts
  • Location: West Virginia

Posted May 01, 2015 - 09:57 AM

Bicycle inner tube.

Any innertube will work. I never throw away old tire innertubes if the rubber looks decent, just cut it up for padding on all sorts of things. I use it on the manual tire changer when mounting tires on freshly painted rims. It really cuts down on how much touch up painting is required.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#6 twostacks OFFLINE  



  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 6470
  • 479 Thanks
  • 438 posts
  • Location: Gettysburg/New Oxford, Pa

Posted May 01, 2015 - 11:07 AM

Oliver tractors use a heavy woven fabric strip between the fuel tank and the mount. I've gotten them from Steiner Tractor in the past. I'd be surprised if you couldn't pick it up at your local farm store.