Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

anyone else miss renting movies at a store?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 06:18 PM

Just me at the camp tonight and its quiet and raining. Some how my brain ended up thinking about when I was a kid going to the video store and renting movies. Browsing the new release wall getting excited when you were there first getting the movie. Convincing dad to buy the over priced pop corn in the bucket at the counter.

I always remember my dad wouldn't rent movies on Friday night. He would only rent them Saturday because the movie store was closed Sunday so you got them for 2 nights instead of 1.

My kids won't even know what block buster or Hollywood video is. Probably won't know what a vhs is either. Honestly we don't even have a VCR in the house.

Anyone else miss that?
  • hamman, Dieselcubmike and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 06:25 PM

NO !

• Gtractor, boyscout862, toomanytoys84 and 1 other said thanks

#3 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 06:43 PM

When I was a kid we had 3 channels on a Black and white TV that you needed two people to change the channel on..One to turn the TV and the other to turn the antenna..

• Gtractor, Alc, jms180 and 5 others have said thanks

#4 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 06:44 PM

But I ran a TV  VCR repair shop for years and when they phased out I closed..so yea..I do miss those days.

• boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,657 Thanks
  • 7,682 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 06:54 PM

I think finding something to watch on Netflix is a pain. A lot of crap movies.

• Alc, toomanytoys84 and Bill 76 have said thanks

#6 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,748 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 06:59 PM

When I was a kid we had 3 channels on a Black and white TV that you needed two people to change the channel on..One to turn the TV and the other to turn the antenna..

CBS, PBS, and ?????????????????   ABC?

• toomanytoys84 and Auburn David have said thanks

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,917 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 07:22 PM

ABC,  NBC,  CBS

• DougT, boyscout862, toomanytoys84 and 1 other said thanks

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 07:30 PM

I don't think PBS came into exisistance until the late 60s.

I just pick up old vhs cassettes and dvds at the towns transfer station. We have a swap shed with free stuff. Shop lifting is encouraged. Satisfaction guaranteed or double your money back. Good Luck, Rick
  • toomanytoys84 and propane1 have said thanks

#9 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 08:07 PM

Just think one day kids wont even know what it means to "roll the window down"

• Alc, boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#10 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 08:38 PM

Down here when our local hollywood video went out of business i just happened to be in the neighborhood and seen they had a closing sale so me and my brother decided to stop in. Many years ago when i was younger i used to rent a lot of the games from there. Mainly for the PlayStation 1. Had a lot of good times there. I told my brother to go ahead and search the store and grab whatever he wanted and i would pay for it. So he went about on his own and i went about on my own. I think they were selling dvds for about 5$-10$ a piece depending on how old the movie was. Ended buying a tv off the wall for 25$ was an older one but heavy! i believe it was a 48 inch. So after everything was said and done i ended up spending 200$ for everything. Sure do miss that place but its nice to look at my shelf and see those reminders of what that place once was. Never did make it to block buster when they closed down im sure they had some good deals there.

• boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#11 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 08:54 PM

Those CD's in the red box are the hottest things now days and very little late fees or nothing.  I miss the VCR some, ares went bad and I never replaced. I don't even own a Blue Ray or whatever is lastest and my CD player is now messing up some. I DO miss times with BIG stereo's and speakers on floors, bigger the better and buying each component seperate and such. Can't even find good stereo''s  like that anymore, just those tiny boxed speaker surround sounds is the new range, all plastic, no wood cabinets or class at all.  Problem is, the DO sound as good as old, wrecks my Pschyce (sic) on it.  I have tons of Cassette tapes and lots of CD's. Tapes can't find good player anymore, mine all broke and now CD's seem to be making the OUT move and being just another way to have music in the past.  Never have gotten into the digital way now used, I avoid it, but some young people that that THAT music is their Lifeblood and wouldn't be w/out it. Never understood the big importance of music running my life.  I live in a CAVE!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#12 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 09:19 PM

I don't think movies are even rented around here any more. Last store I remember closed up two years ago. I never rented movies, but we did for the kids when they were young. Noel.

#13 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 09:50 PM

I think we're already there now.  You'd have been hard pressed to find a car with manual windows for quite a few years now.  Just think, it's been 30-35  years since carburetors were common on new cars.  Most 40 year olds probably never drove a car that wasn't fuel injected...

...and now CD's seem to be making the OUT move and being just another way to have music in the past....

You are so correct on that and I was thinking the same thing as I read the first post.  I recently put a new stereo in the wife's car and while shopping, I noticed they're now making some head units without cd players.  CDs are on their death bed and it won't be too long till they're extinct.

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#14 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,645 Thanks
  • 1,059 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 11:34 PM

I quit renting movies a long time ago                                                PS   anyone looking for a Beta player  :(

Like I said it's been a long time since I rented a movie.

Edited by Bill 76, April 30, 2015 - 11:39 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#15 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted May 01, 2015 - 05:38 AM

My car is carbed, my 445 deere is injected ........But I m like 21 years old.......Thats what I keep saying......My body says Im 

lying. Shawn

• HDWildBill and Dieselcubmike have said thanks