• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • Member No: 61353
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 02:08 PM

so I took out the test light and started searching for the missing link  . cleaned the key switch with contact cleaner and got power everywhere but the run mode  and the wire to the safety switch  . well I decided to get cute and jump a wire in the ignition reached for my light and saw smoke come from under the engine cover :flamethrower:

so I fried the mag right ? I was so close. it was turning over .not to fast , not to slow

what would be a proper way to get power in the run position or am I missing something ? safety switch maybe ? thank you

simplicity 3415H unreadable model number

engine number 325431-0126-01

it does not have coil ......yet lol

Edited by alec, April 30, 2015 - 10:39 PM.

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 04:59 PM

How do you fry a mag? The only way I can figure that, is, if it is the wrong ignition switch. A switch for a magneto should ground to shut off and do nothing when running.  A switch putting out power would be a switch for a coil system. Check that before going any further. Good Luck, Rick

• alec said thank you

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 07:46 PM

How do you fry a mag? The only way I can figure that, is, if it is the wrong ignition switch. A switch for a magneto should ground to shut off and do nothing when running.  A switch putting out power would be a switch for a coil system. Check that before going any further. Good Luck, Rick

Rick. this might be the answer to your question. 

." well I decided to get cute and jump a wire in the ignition reached for my light and saw smoke come from under the engine cover" :flamethrower:

If he jumpered voltage into the mag, I'd say he fried it if its electronic.

• HDWildBill, boyscout862 and alec have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 08:01 PM

DougT you are probably right. I missed the importance of that statement. I plead distraction. I had a tooth pulled yesterday. He should do a full diagnosis with an ohm meter with the battery disconnected. Good Luck, Rick
  • DougT, HDWildBill and alec have said thanks

#5 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 10:17 PM

If you touched a hot wire to the "M" terminal on the ignition switch you will definitely Burn up the mag. The m terminal is only supposed to be grounded with the switch off and should never have power on it.

If one of the terminals on your switch is marked "I" them you have the wrong switch for a magneto ignition. These switches look a lot alike and will plug into the wiring harness interchangeably but with devastating results.

null_zps3279f367.jpg

Switch on left is for magneto ignition while the one on right is for a battery powered ignition.

Edited by skunkhome, April 30, 2015 - 10:48 PM.

• KennyP, boyscout862 and alec have said thanks

#6 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 10:27 PM

yep ! thats me :toilethead:  . well a wise man once told me " if you aint makin mistakes you aint gettin nuthin done "

it was bound to happen I have had to much good luck . so for now I will hook up a coil using phils beautiful wiring diagram and see if the engine runs before I yank it out to put a new mag on it :beer:

• skunkhome said thank you

#7 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 10:32 PM

Alec, I added more info above after you posted.

Over a period of thirty to 50 years a lot can Change on these tractors. My favorite tractor started life with a magneto powered engine with a starter generator, then I converted to battery ignition. Changing the wiring and ignition switch. Then I repowered with another Briggs but with a geared starter and stator charging, eliminating the mechanical regulator and totally rewiring, changing switch back to magneto ignition.

Edited by skunkhome, April 30, 2015 - 10:44 PM.

• alec said thank you

#8 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 10:51 PM

Btw I would not bother cleaning ignition switches as they are available for $10-12 at most auto parts stores. Or you can pay $25-30 from your local simplicity dealer for the same Sten switch.
  • HDWildBill and alec have said thanks

#9 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 10:51 PM

Alec, I added more info above after you posted.

Over a period of thirty to 50 years a lot can Change on these tractors. My favorite tractor started life with a magneto powered engine with a starter generator, then I converted to battery ignition. Changing the wiring and ignition switch. Then I repowered with another Briggs but with a geared starter and stator charging, eliminating the mechanical regulator and totally rewiring, changing switch back to magneto ignition.

you should just send me that nice clean switch and a new mag . mine looks like the one one the right COSMETICALLY but I will find out tomorrow which one it is .kinda strange they would let it plug in like that bein that every thing is different .

#10 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 10:53 PM

well that figures phil . :wallbanging: I thought that they were gold plated inset with diamonds .

#11 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted May 01, 2015 - 10:33 PM

update... hooked up a coil and put my B212 carb on my 3415 and it fired right up . TO BAD I KILLED THE MAG . but at least I know it runs now . needed that after breaking my tiller... cable... and electric lift all in one day . I have decided that I dont like electric lifts for tilling and manuals are no fun . hydro for me

#12 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted May 05, 2015 - 08:36 AM

Glad you got her running.
  • alec said thank you

#13 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted May 06, 2015 - 12:35 AM

Glad you got her running.

yea I have power on the start part of the ignition and power coming out to the safety switch ( switches ) but no pwer at the switches .  so I took a break from my back and was fine tuning the carb and started feelinhg burning speckles on my face . :mad2:  thought it was gas spray and then I see water leaking out the tractor and Im like WHAT THE HELL???? this thing dont have water ??? my belt had rubbed a hole in the battery ! and it was sprayin me with acid so I washed my face and moved on to the loader ( and the bucket wont come off but thats another story )