7 replies to this topic

#1 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted April 29, 2015 - 09:31 PM

I picked up a 1999 Craftsman 14.5 42 rider that my wife found on the local Face book " for sale" site for $30. I have picked up freebees before that were $50 too high, so I dont get too excited about these. This one is as close to NOS / only driven  by a little old lady on sunday as you can find. I bought it from the ex wife so I didnt do any tire kicking or ask any questions. It was setting in the side yard and the squirrels were using it for a jungle gym, so I wasnt expecting much. It had 3 flat tires, missing the battery and the seat was cracked and ugly. The plastic steering bushing is sloppy and jumped gears when trying to turn with flat tires. 

I loaded it up and headed home. I put a new battery in it, put a quart of gas in the tank, a shot in the carb and hit the key. It cranked slow and the solenoid was hit and miss, but fired right up with no smoke after sitting since atleast last fall. It will need the carb cleaned and maybe rebuilt.

This was a "towny" from a 1/4 acre lot, garage kept, original tires, original belts and blades (never sharpened), paint looks like new and not a scratch on the deck.

I ordered $75 worth of parts from sears.. deck chute, bushing for steering and solenoid. It needs both belts and 3 idlers ($60) For a total of $165 and 6 hours labor invested. If I pimp it right I actually think I can get $650 out of it. It probably doesnt have more than 10 hours on the engine. The closest thing you can get from walmart right now will cost $1100 after you pay sales tax. I will turn this over to my son and let him do the wrenching and keep the profit, he needs it more than I do and it will give him a taste of what he can make outside of the $9/hr he is making at the mower shop

Edited by tater195, April 29, 2015 - 09:33 PM.

• olcowhand, daytime dave, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 07:11 AM

You know......Pictures?

• KennyP, pigsitter and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#3 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted May 30, 2015 - 05:07 PM

Update.... Son doesnt seem to be too motivated on the project, so I took it over. New battery, belts, swapped carb off of a junker engine because the bowl was rusty and stuck float needle, replaced the bushing on the steering rack. LR, RF tire has slow leak in side wall, ordered new blades due to one twisted blade. $200 invested. Cant clean it because I havent got the pressure washer back that my wife loaned out 3 weeks ago. 

My son decided to get new sights for his bow. While getting it sighted in, he moved the sights the wrong way and under shot the target, 'cabobbed the rear tire that was leaking. I hate to plug tires about as much as I dislike replacing them one at a time . Dont want to spend another $200 on tires , so I will sell it with a plug in it

#4 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted June 16, 2015 - 07:49 PM

Finally got time to do some wrenching on this one. New blades and belts are on. Runs like a top, fires up with no choke and no smoke. The deck is real quiet, but needs to be leveled.  I took off through the knee high stuff in 4th gear. It didnt even bog down and cut better than I expected it would going that fast. Had some high lines where the tires were, but other than that, it cut great.

If it wasnt for the crappy LT front end wobble, I would have thought it was a new one. 

• KennyP, Cvans and pigsitter have said thanks

#5 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted June 17, 2015 - 07:04 PM

I got the deck leveled and did a little polishing. Still need to change the oil and its ready to go. My wife posted it on FB at $450 and have had 6 hits.They all sound interested.  She must want me to get rid of it, I was going to put it on CL for $550 and have a little wiggle room so they feel like they got a deal. This will save me time with tire kickers and low ballers. First one here with the cash gets it.

20150617 184520

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,495 Thanks
  • 39,727 posts

Posted June 18, 2015 - 04:29 AM

That's real similar to the LT4000 I mow the front with.

#7 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

• 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted June 18, 2015 - 10:36 PM

Got the oil changed 5 minutes before the new owners showed up. They test drove it and while he was on it she asked if I would take less. I told her my wife jumped the gun putting it on FB and I was gonna put it on CL for $550. they didnt bltch and payed $450.  :dancingbanana:

$250 profit on a $250 LT....... I win  :thumbs:

Averaged out at $41/hr, half of that time was mowing my own yard for the shake down.

Edited by tater195, June 18, 2015 - 11:06 PM.

• daytime dave said thank you

#8 jhn9840 ONLINE  

jhn9840

• Member No: 10
  • 127 Thanks
  • 186 posts

Posted June 19, 2015 - 03:51 PM

That's a deal you wish that you could make everyday. Looked like someone at least tried to take care of it before you found it.

jhn9840
John

Edited by jhn9840, June 19, 2015 - 05:08 PM.

• tater195 said thank you