• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted April 29, 2015 - 08:16 PM

I havent been on the board very often lately but I pop in from time to time to look around.  Just thought that I would drop in and say HI and share some good news.  I have been looking for land to buy for about the last 8 months wanting to get back out in the country and OUT of the damn city.  Well after looking all those months and weeding out potential properties, I found 47 acres and got final loan approval from the bank today! The bad part is that my kids are in a VERY GOOD city school system and I am NOT going to pull them out and put them in a county school system, SO, it will be at least a couple of years before I actually move to the property unless I can figure out how to make it all work.  The property is currently being leased out to a local farmer and it will remain that way for at least a couple of years until I get to the point that I am ready to build. I am planning to fence off part of it that is not being farmed and put the goats and horses on it until then.  They can clean up the wooded area and the pasture part around it.  There is a 5 acre field in the very back corner that is where I will do all of my building so I will probably pull that 5 from the lease next year and build a pole barn to store all of my tractors, trailers and misc stuff in.  Once my son is old enough to drive I can move down there and let him drive himself and my daughter to school as long as I keep my current house as a "primary residence" At that point, I will start planning on building the house.

Another part of the good news is the fact that we will have a PERMANENT home for the Fall Alabama Plow Day.  I spoke to Drew and Stewart this afternoon and we have agreed for them to keep hosting the Spring Plow Day and I will host the Fall Plow Day.  The property is only 7 miles from several local motels and plenty of restaurants for those that are coming in from out of town.  Just to give you an idea where the property is located (so you can make your plans to join us this fall) it is off of exit 205 on I 65 about 50 miles south of Birmingham, AL.  I will coordinate with Daniel on the dates so that we wont interferre with each other and hopefully he can come down and plow with us......lol

• olcowhand, Gtractor, MH81 and 9 others have said thanks

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted April 29, 2015 - 08:34 PM

Congrats Robert!  That is great!  I'm not able just yet to set a date for mine, and it may be a while yet.  I am still hoping for the 1st or second weekend of October though.  

So glad you got the land.  You & I both are making changes for the better!

• KennyP, tinbender7 and superaben have said thanks

#3 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted April 29, 2015 - 09:13 PM

Daniel, I probably wont be able to set a firm date until sometime in the fall..........it will depend on when the farmer harvest what ever he plants this year.  He had wheat on the land last fall.  So I will play it by ear and go from there.  I will try to post pictures here if I dont forget my camera when I go down there this weekend.....lol

• olcowhand said thank you

#4 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,898 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 06:37 AM

IDK about your area but around here the rural "county" schools are 10X better than anything in the city, I live just outside a 3 "city" urban area with a combined 50-60K residents and 2 high schools, with alot of rural farming area surrounding these 3 big towns.

There is a huge difference between kids that went through one of the "country" school district vs the ones that grew up and went to either of the 2 high schools that serve the 3 large towns.

Among the differences is kids that aren't afraid to work vs those that are.

BTW  What is the difference between a "city" a "village" and a "town"? 

here in Illinois most municipalities are either a "city" or a "Village" while in Indiana most signs say "Town of________". 

#5 cootertom ONLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 718 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 08:17 AM

Congrats on the land purchase. That is some beautiful land in the area and great fishing and hunting right out your back door. I take it you are around the Jemison area and it's about a hour and 15 minutes from me. Peaches abound all around you there. Count me in for the plow days this fall as long as it's not the third weekend of the month.

#6 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted May 10, 2015 - 02:26 PM

Cooter, if you are familiar with the "Peach Park" in Clanton (exit 205), the property is 7 miles from the interstate in Verbena and only 2 miles from exit 200.

There are probably 100 peach trees in one little spot on the property. The only thing that I can figure is that the owner fed them to the cows at one time and they came up from the seeds.  They will be transplanted into my very own little peach orchard probably this fall.

Right now, I am waiting on the current owner's attorney to draw up the land contract so that the bank can finish their paperwork and get the closing scheduled. 

As far as the school systems go............I know for a FACT that my kids are attending one of the best systems in the tri-county area.  So, they will stay in this system until they graduate.  As a kid, I attended 7 different schools before I graduated and I HATED moving from one school to another and vowed that I wouldnt do that to my kids.  THAT is about the ONLY reason that they have against moving right now.  That and being further from their friends but when I told them that their friends could come down and spend the weekends riding horses, or 4 wheelers or whatever else they could find to get into, they seemed to be OK with it..........lol

• olcowhand, MH81 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 08:02 AM

Well I talked to the current land owner Friday night and they were supposed to do the survey yesterday and I pick up the land contract Tuesday...........looks like this is going to finally happen :dancingbanana: .  I am picking up a Great Pyraneese female puppy next weekend so that we can get her trained and accustomed to the livestock before I start moving them to the new property.  The horses and goats will be the first to be moved, the hogs and chickens will stay at Dana's place for a while until I get things set up for them.

• olcowhand, KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 08:30 AM

Glad things are going well for you, Robert! We've missed your posts!

#9 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 09:39 PM

I figured that I better come update everyone since I havent posted on here for a while.  I sneak around and read posts from time to time but life has been WIDE OPEN for the last year or so.  I FINALLY signed the closing papers on the new property today!  I am now officially the owner of a 46.3 acre farm!  SO...........that means that the "Fall Plow Day at Rodan Farms" WILL HAPPEN this fall. Due to the land currently being planted in Cotton, it will probably be sometime in November.  I talked to the farmer that currently rents the property and even though he has started a "NO TILL" operation this year, he is still fine with us having a plow day.  I talked to him and explained what we would be doing and how it would affect him and he said that it would be "NO problem" and that it would not interfere with his farming practices.  Once he picks the cotton, he will plant wheat as a cover crop for the winter.  And just in case you cant tell...............I AM SUPER EXCITED!    :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

• MH81, wvbuzzmaster, KennyP and 4 others have said thanks

#10 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted August 05, 2015 - 11:23 PM

Congratulations!!! It's pretty obvious how happy you are,---- that's a lot of excited bananas!
  • MH81 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 04:22 AM

That's great news, Robert!

#12 camdigger OFFLINE  

camdigger
  • Member No: 70250
  • 678 Thanks
  • 234 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 01:08 PM

The right property can change your life. Congratulations!

#13 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 01:42 PM

You guys have to live in the school district the kids attend?

I know in my area in ohio I can send the kids to any school I wish I am just responsible for getting them to a bus stop or transport them to school.

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 01:49 PM

Great to hear! Now you will always have work to do.