19 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted April 29, 2015 - 05:19 PM

My old cell phone was great. Worked perfect except the non replaceable battery was bad. Last maybe 4 hours before going dead. I'm a heavy user. Emails phone calls etc all day. Decided let's call up Verizon and get a new phone. They had a heck of a deal going on got the latest Motorola for free and lowered my bill 20 a month.

Got the phone great battery lasted 22 hours on the first charge. But the reception is terrible. Same route that I always drive I usually use that time to call my mom every day. Same route phone in the same spot in my truck I drop calls constantly. Then my WiFi reception is terrible. Same routers same setups. I drop wifi all the time.

Called Verizon. Hey this new phone does this this and this. Well sir maybe your wireless router is messed up. Well ma'am explain to me why my old phone is sitting beside this one and has full bars of WiFi and my new phone is sitting there with 1 bar?

Very aggravated. Going to try playing with some settings and see what happens if it doesn't work I have to pay a restocking fee and pick out another phone.

Edited by toomanytoys84, April 29, 2015 - 05:20 PM.

• tinbender7 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted April 29, 2015 - 05:39 PM

"New and Improved" is usually neither. Good Luck, Rick

• tinbender7, superaben, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#3 DennyIN ONLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 290 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted April 29, 2015 - 09:18 PM

Had a Verizon, Motorola Droid Bionic, now have a Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo, battery lasts up to 48 hours between charges and works better than my old phone, except battery can't be replaced in the Turbo. The battery life is what sold it for me.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,303 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted April 29, 2015 - 10:48 PM

Found this with Motorola. I bet if you do a little research, there are others with same issues.
There is a reason they are free.

#5 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 01:05 AM

"New and Improved" is usually neither. Good Luck, Rick

You're preachin' to the choir, Brother!!!
  • KennyP, boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#6 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 02:27 AM

my kids talked me into a new phone, I had an old flip phone, you know the one, its a phone, only a phone, not a camera, game, texter, why fi whatever, I hate it and never carry it around, while im driving or walking around I don't need to know what star is doing what, the current weather, hey im outside I know! and I definetly don't do selfies, whats up with that. all I want is a phone to call for help when I break down or ask wheather I need to pick up milk or not. from what I understand is that a "phone" does no exist anymore, oh well I will just stay in the dark. oh and get a load of this my daughter just got a phone bill of $730 for 1 month, she started watching movies on the school bus, thankfully she has a job and will be paying it off herself, just venting john
  • KennyP, boyscout862, LilysDad and 3 others have said thanks

#7 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 06:51 AM

My exp with Motorola is opposite. We have 3 phones on our plan, My 1st couple way back when we 1st got them were unknowns like Nokia and Kyrocera, they were my 1st so I didnt know the difference. Over the years I think someone in the house has had at least 1 of most brands out there (I know no one here has had an HTC)  and once I got my 1st Motorola that is all I have had since. Myself, my wife and son can be standing close enough to touch each other and want to call somebody. Wife's phone? no signal indicated. Son's phone? might have a bar or 2, where the Motorola I had would be most likely to have signal. I too like a basic flip phone, but the kind of phone I want no longer exisits. I last had a Motorola Tundra "rugged phone"  (went thru a couple, not rugged enough) that was a decent phone  but being in my pocket while crawling under machines, I tend to be hard on them. My last one came from Ebay. 

I went looking a couple times but didn't want to pay for a mandatory "data plan" just to have the phone that I thought I wanted in my pocket. 

Now that they have the "share" data plans, I got a Motorola Moto X.My wife and me don't use as much data in 3 months put together as the kid does in a couple weeks.

I hate it. the buttons are too close together and I have to back space and pretty much hit the button next to what I want to get the button I want to activate.

The 3 known local "dead spots" that I was guaranteed to drop calls when I go thru is gone, that is good. I still never text, may never do so, I hate it. my son texts enough for an army. drives me nuts. Phones were meant to CALL and recieve calls, not act as a camera or a computer or anything like that. I have cameras plus a computer tower and a laptop why do I need that on my phone too?

• oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#8 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 06:52 AM

probably the best phone I had, 3 or 4 phones ago, was a Motorola Razr.

#9 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 07:22 AM

Had a Verizon, Motorola Droid Bionic, now have a Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo, battery lasts up to 48 hours between charges and works better than my old phone, except battery can't be replaced in the Turbo. The battery life is what sold it for me.

Thats what I have now.  48 hour claimed battery life is a joke.  End up 14 hours in with about 40% left.  But like I said I'm a heavy user since work emails, phone calls, ect keep me using my phone quite often throughout the day. 

I'd say it would last 48 hours if you made a few calls, and left it in your pocket and only used it as a watch and occasional phone.

The wifi issue is better.  Unchecked the "avoid poor connections" and now it stays synced with the wifi, but doesn't explain my call dropping. 

I'm still not happy with it.

#10 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 07:24 AM

Samsung is the NEW best phone in my house.  I now have Note 4, way big, but I wanted puter time on it and I can see it then. My old one was a flip-phone that was durable and I liked it alot, but no good for web. I text alot more than actually calling. One feature is I can write or draw on it with diff colors and line sizes and lots of things. Sometimes I come up with an idea and I can sketch it out or leave notes to me to look into again later. Still learning that, but have tinkered with some drawings. A girl was playing with it one time and she was pretty good artist, and made some real neat things. I'm no artist!

#11 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 07:27 AM

I have cameras plus a computer tower and a laptop why do I need that on my phone too?

Because a good smart phone call do all those functions probably better than your computer in some ways?

I threw away my digital camera once getting a smart phone with a good camera.  This new phone has a 21 mp camera.  I don't own a  computer of my own.  We have a 2 tablets and 2 smart phones.  My work laptop is the only computer I use.  And I use a convertible tablet 90% of the time over my laptop.

#12 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 08:07 AM

i have a samsung droid charge and love it

i have found tho that if i use 4g i get maybe about 15 hour battery life

if i turn off 4g and use 3g i get almost 2 days battery life

#13 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 09:21 AM

I've got the Turbo and love it. Verizon's coverage is really good around here but I was also surprised at how well it's worked on two recent trips. I'll agree that the wifi reception is maybe just a bit worse than my last phone which was a Razr M.

I'm wondering if maybe your phone has Advanced Calling turned on? That option places voice calls over the LTE data network. Verizon is way too optimistic about their LTE coverage so they dropped the second antenna from all the newest phones (for battery life reasons.) The trouble with this new system is that with only the single antenna, when you lose LTE coverage, there's no way to hand the call off to their older CDMA system. The call drops. I got my Turbo before Advanced Calling was available so I'm not sure how they come stock anymore. It may very well be turned on right out of the box? Check settings under wireless & networks. Advanced Calling also has to be enabled in your account online (easy to check using the Verizon acct. app) before it can be enabled in settings.

After all that backstory, to summarize, you want Advanced Calling turned OFF if you're in a marginal LTE coverage area or you will drop calls. If you're dropping calls and it's turned off, there's something wrong with the phone. I follow a Droid Turbo forum and there have been almost no complaints about cell reception.

FYI, something to keep in the back of your mind, the Turbo allows for one free screen replacement if damaged. I believe for the first year?
  • toomanytoys84 and DennyIN have said thanks

#14 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 10:01 AM

Dodge Trucker and I are on the same page, I use a phone to make and receive calls. Period.  These other "toys" are wonderful examples of whatever they are, but it seems to this olde stone ager that a "phone" is the least of their functions. Even  cars/trucks have turned into "information stations" with wheels. Rant over, I'll just crawl quietly back into my cave and dream of the good old days; when communication meant talking to each other, face to face, and a "need to know" was pretty well restricted to "the contractions are three minutes apart, I'm heading to the hospital"

• dodge trucker said thank you

#15 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 10:21 AM

I've got the Turbo and love it. Verizon's coverage is really good around here but I was also surprised at how well it's worked on two recent trips. I'll agree that the wifi reception is maybe just a bit worse than my last phone which was a Razr M.

I'm wondering if maybe your phone has Advanced Calling turned on? That option places voice calls over the LTE data network. Verizon is way too optimistic about their LTE coverage so they dropped the second antenna from all the newest phones (for battery life reasons.) The trouble with this new system is that with only the single antenna, when you lose LTE coverage, there's no way to hand the call off to their older CDMA system. The call drops. I got my Turbo before Advanced Calling was available so I'm not sure how they come stock anymore. It may very well be turned on right out of the box? Check settings under wireless & networks. Advanced Calling also has to be enabled in your account online (easy to check using the Verizon acct. app) before it can be enabled in settings.

After all that backstory, to summarize, you want Advanced Calling turned OFF if you're in a marginal LTE coverage area or you will drop calls. If you're dropping calls and it's turned off, there's something wrong with the phone. I follow a Droid Turbo forum and there have been almost no complaints about cell reception.

FYI, something to keep in the back of your mind, the Turbo allows for one free screen replacement if damaged. I believe for the first year?

I will try that.  I turned it on because I want to be able to use my Data when on a call.  Useful when having someone on speaker phone and needing to read an email during the call.    This happens more often than you would think with work.  If its off it tells me data is not available when making a call.

I'll turn it off on the drive back to the camp tonight.  See if that kills the 3 dead spots I am encountering on the way home now.   With my last phone I could leave my office, drive through the WV country side and NEVER drop the call all the way till about 2 miles from the camp where signal completely dies off to nothing.

Dodge Trucker and I are on the same page, I use a phone to make and receive calls. Period.  These other "toys" are wonderful examples of whatever they are, but it seems to this olde stone ager that a "phone" is the least of their functions. Even  cars/trucks have turned into "information stations" with wheels. Rant over, I'll just crawl quietly back into my cave and dream of the good old days; when communication meant talking to each other, face to face, and a "need to know" was pretty well restricted to "the contractions are three minutes apart, I'm heading to the hospital"

I see your point.  I look at a cell phone as replacing my GPS, radio, camera, camcorder, the need to sit down at a computer to look something up, and just about any function a computer does except for editing or creating large documents in excel or other office programs(even that is able to be done but a lot harder).  My last digital camera was only a 10 megapixel, and my last camcorder took those little tapes and wouldn't record in HD.

The only family member I actually call is my parents because they don't have cell service at their house.  Even my wife we don't call each other when I am gone through the week, only text.  The only time we call is when we are driving and can't text.

• oldedeeres and dodge trucker have said thanks