Repower for 1542 Hydro Tractor

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tdoyle OFFLINE  

• Member No: 70046
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted April 29, 2015 - 11:58 AM

I was recently given an Ariens 1542 hydro tractor, dead motor...prior owner ran it out of oil until it died, then tried to restart it which resulted in a whole bunch of clanking of loose parts inside the motor when you crank the starter.  Since it burnt oil anyway I'm thinking a repower is a better option than attempting to repair/rebuild, but in all honesty I don't know whats loose inside without disassembling the thing.  

The original motor is a Briggs 15hp OHV single piston engine, model 311707, type 0138-E1.  Google seems to be telling me that this engine has been replaced by a 17hp version and I see the current model Ariens comes with a 17hp motor as well, which suggests that maybe a 15 was a little underpowered?  

So I'm looking for a replacement engine, a used direct replacement is thus far impossible to find, new plants are starting at $700 and got up from there, which is cost prohibitive for this project.

What I'm wondering is what are my options that I can consider?  Am I limited by the hood's clearance to a single cylinder briggs or can I look at twin engines?  Am I limited to Briggs or will a Kohler engine work just as well?  Are there hidden issues I'll have to address if I switch brands like output shaft size and motor mounting positions?

Thanks all, hope to be up and running for the summer grass cutting season and maybe locate a snowblower for it as well.

#2 DennyIN OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 290 Thanks
  • 181 posts

Posted April 29, 2015 - 02:56 PM

Googling turns up places like I've listed below, plus more. Shouldn't be too hard to find a lesser expensive replacement.