Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Tearing into the Gard'n Mast'r Jr. project.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted July 13, 2015 - 06:13 PM

Here's a couple of pics of Gardenall tractors from the Portland, IN show of several years ago.

Gardenall%20at%20Portland%20show.jpg

I think this one is called the Pup model.

195_%20Gardenall.jpg

• Alc and classic have said thanks

#17 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted July 13, 2015 - 06:42 PM

Thanks for posting the pics from the show. I see a lot of modificatations and alterations on the Jr. There are differences between the two that I have. At some point I'll take pics and list the differences. There are two different clutches, clutch engagement levers, implement lift levers, hoods, seat mounting brackets, rear end housings, etc. The engines I've seen on them are Wisconsin AKN and the Briggs 23 R6D. The hood is taller on the Jr. with the Briggs engine. The larger clutch made by Dodge Manufacturing Corp. uses the beefier engagement lever and was used on the Briggs, but I'm not sure if this clutch was used on the Wisconsin engines. It gets interesting when you get deep into these restorations. I've heard people call the tractor in the other pic the "mailbox model". I'd like to find one of those!
  • Alc said thank you

#18 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted July 13, 2015 - 07:08 PM

Thanks for posting the pics from the show. I see a lot of modificatations and alterations on the Jr. There are differences between the two that I have. At some point I'll take pics and list the differences. There are two different clutches, clutch engagement levers, implement lift levers, hoods, seat mounting brackets, rear end housings, etc. The engines I've seen on them are Wisconsin AKN and the Briggs 23 R6D. The hood is taller on the Jr. with the Briggs engine. The larger clutch made by Dodge Manufacturing Corp. uses the beefier engagement lever and was used on the Briggs, but I'm not sure if this clutch was used on the Wisconsin engines. It gets interesting when you get deep into these restorations. I've heard people call the tractor in the other pic the "mailbox model". I'd like to find one of those!

According to the sales sheet I have ( year unknown) the small green tractor is called the Pup. I have seen mailbox models and they look just like rural mailboxes. Spec's sheets for the bigger tractors show a model G with a B&S 23 engine and a model JR with a Wisconsin model AKN. Another newer sales sheet shows a model J with a B&S 23 engine. Most of the tractors I see have the B&S engines, I may have seen one using a Wisconsin engine. I'll have to look up a fellow that lives north of me. I have seen his collection several years ago and I think he had 8-10 Gmastr tractors then.

• Alc and classic have said thanks

#19 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted July 13, 2015 - 09:59 PM

I like researching these old tractors and any info out there about them. The Gard'n Mast'r I'm restoring is a JS model with the 23 R6D engine, large clutch engagement lever, and Dodge Manufacturing clutch. The second tractor had no I'D tag, so I'm not sure of the model, but it has the Wisconsin AKN engine, the smaller clutch engagement lever, and the Carlyle Johnson clutch. Both tractor frame crossmembers are drilled for either the Briggs or Wisconsin. I'll keep posting info as I come across it.
  • DougT said thank you

#20 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 08:51 AM

Here's a link to another GMster topic, on page 2 there is some ad paper on the Pup model.

http://gardentractor...mastr-jr/page-2

• classic said thank you

#21 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted July 26, 2015 - 08:06 PM

I did look over that thread a while back and posted a pic of the tag on my frame. I've never seen one of the Pup models up close. I got those General Jumbo Jr. tires of of ebay, and I don't think that they are common anywhere. I wonder when they stopped making them? I removed the tires from the rims and the tubes are made by General, also. The seller said that they were good used tires, but they turned out to be new! I'm looking for Goodyear Super Sure grip size 7-16 or the BF Goodrich Super Hi-cleat in size 7-16 for the rear. I haven't had any luck in finding either of these.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150718_144405.jpg
  • 20150718_144311.jpg

#22 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted July 27, 2015 - 05:03 PM

I did look over that thread a while back and posted a pic of the tag on my frame. I've never seen one of the Pup models up close. I got those General Jumbo Jr. tires of of ebay, and I don't think that they are common anywhere. I wonder when they stopped making them? I removed the tires from the rims and the tubes are made by General, also. The seller said that they were good used tires, but they turned out to be new! I'm looking for Goodyear Super Sure grip size 7-16 or the BF Goodrich Super Hi-cleat in size 7-16 for the rear. I haven't had any luck in finding either of these.

Wow! You really lucked out there getting new ones, tires suffer a lot from age unlike cast iron and steel.

• classic said thank you

#23 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted July 27, 2015 - 05:31 PM

The hardest part of any old tractor restoration is finding original tires. These tires are really odd looking and they are actually reproducing them. They don't make them in this size, though. These tires must have been kept in a cool, dry, dark place to have survived so well. They will look much better than the ones that came on the tractor.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150404_145931-1.jpg

#24 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted July 29, 2015 - 02:48 PM

The hardest part of any old tractor restoration is finding original tires. These tires are really odd looking and they are actually reproducing them. They don't make them in this size, though. These tires must have been kept in a cool, dry, dark place to have survived so well. They will look much better than the ones that came on the tractor.

I think the one one the left front may be worn out. :smilewink: