• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OldAllis52 OFFLINE  

OldAllis52
  • Member No: 41205
  • 270 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 04:41 PM

I while back I mentioned in another thread I was trying to buy a Red E from a local guy. This has been going on for a couple of years now and since the tractor is two hours away I still have not seen it. Today he brought me a pic to copy with his dad on the tractor circa 1954. A few of you contacted me with doubts it was tiller steer so here is the pic.

http://IMG_20150428_160715_zps6x2csydj.jpg

I still have not got the tractor yet but it seems to be getting closer. Now the guy is trying to convince his brother it is better I buy it than it continue to rot away in the weeds. Wish me luck!

• Alc, hamman, tractorgarden and 6 others have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 05:09 PM

I've seen that picture before on the web or forums.  Pretty sure.  Looks nice THEN, wonder what it looks like NOW?  If not sunk in ground too far, most of the heavy iron on these should be fixable or cleanable. Water in trans and rear and things is a worry maybe. I'm sure orig engine would be froze up good and might need another.  Must be buying the ID label here mostly? :smilewink:

• Columbia236 said thank you

#3 Columbia236 ONLINE  

Columbia236
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 23802
  • 294 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 05:40 PM

Looks like a speedex M23 from this picture to me

• Username said thank you

#4 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 05:54 PM

Looks like a speedex M23 from this picture to me

I think you are correct.I didn't think it looked like a Red E but I didn't know what it was.

Probably still a worthy tractor to have.

#5 OldAllis52 OFFLINE  

OldAllis52
  • Member No: 41205
  • 270 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 06:01 PM

It was bought new in 1952 by the man in the pic which is one of the owners dad. It shipped from a hardware distributor in Ohio to their home in Tennessee. They assembled it in the front yard when the co owner was eight years old. He took this picture of his dad off his wall today and I took this pic of it with my phone. When he went home two weeks ago he found the original engine disassembled in boxes in a shed. The frame and implements are outside in the weather with the tires rotted off.  The ID plate according to him says it is a Red E and I am not going to argue with him because he carries a badge and a big gun ;)

• hamman, superaben and Columbia236 have said thanks

#6 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,566 Thanks
  • 915 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 06:26 PM

I while back I mentioned in another thread I was trying to buy a Red E from a local guy. This has been going on for a couple of years now and since the tractor is two hours away I still have not seen it. Today he brought me a pic to copy with his dad on the tractor circa 1954. A few of you contacted me with doubts it was tiller steer so here is the pic.

http://IMG_20150428_160715_zps6x2csydj.jpg

I still have not got the tractor yet but it seems to be getting closer. Now the guy is trying to convince his brother it is better I buy it than it continue to rot away in the weeds. Wish me luck!

I have over the years run into many people who were not willing to sell something because it belonged to a deceased relative so it sits in the weeds until it has rotted away. I have watched this happen year by year to a 1948 Chevy Pickup. Sad. I had a Dad and a Stepdad. Both were great guys and I can't see letting something of there's rot away because it was there's. Just my opinion.

Edited by Traill95, April 28, 2015 - 06:27 PM.

#7 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 07:40 PM

It does look like the one tractor pictured on this site:

http://www.speedextr...dexHistory.html

• tractorgarden and Columbia236 have said thanks

#8 Columbia236 ONLINE  

Columbia236
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 23802
  • 294 Thanks
  • 108 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 07:42 PM

I would make every effort to see It . If it is tagged Red-E there may have been a connection between them and Speedex also Good luck and keep us updated

#9 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 08:26 PM

I don't know the Speedex that old, BUT, they were made in Ohio!!  Maybe that is where I've seen this pix before, on web, in Speedex forums?