• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 02:18 PM

I know this is a common problem when things aren't right. What I want to know first before I remove the tranny for inspection is this. My Hydraulic lift control valve leaks bad especially when I shut it down it pours out both ends of the rod that the up & down lever is connected to. I'm sure since this system shares the same fluid this leak is allowing air in the system. Would this cause the tranny to loose power. It creeps good but when I increase the speed it squeals, & jerks with very little to no power. I checked the manuals but found no parts diagram on the tranny just the drive unit. I'm assuming this is an Eaton 10 ? If anyone has a diagram of this tranny & the control valve I would appreciate it. Rebuilding the control valve would be a quick fix hopefully.

Just for the record: The fins are clean, not running hot, fluid level is good, no water, changed the filter, belts aren't slipping, drive belt tension is good. One thing I don't like is the hose leaving the reservoir going into the top of the tranny has a loop that goes slightly up above the bottom of the reservoir then across into the top of the tranny...hose too long I think. I did notice air pockets in the hose. The fluid level fluctuates on the dip stick but not in the hot zone. I know its pulling fluid but I don't like the air pocket in the hose...is this ok. Really appreciate your help always as usual.

#2 LPBolens ONLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 02:24 PM

Your tranny should definitely be an Eaton 10.

Air in the system will make a hydro do all sorts of interesting things, including squealing and jerking. None of those are good for the hydro. The sooner you correct the leaks where the system is pulling in air and work the remaining air out, the better you will be.

Edited by LPBolens, April 28, 2015 - 02:25 PM.

• boyscout862, superaben and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 10:15 PM

To add on to what Bolens Doug is saying, I would also check that you have the right fluid in the tractor.   The wrong fluid can do all sorts of weird things in a hydro. 

Any air in the system is bad news. 

Keep in mind that with leaks, a hydro system will go to the path of least resistance before it will pressurize something else.  I'd fix that leak and see what miracles happen. 

Ben W. 

• Sawdust said thank you

#4 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 10:41 PM

I know it has ATF in it but don't know if it's type A, F, or Dextron. If fixing the control valve doesn't work I guess I could drain the best I can. Am I correct the only way of draining the unit is to take it apart? This is my first experience with an Eaton. I have done two Sunstrand's.

Edited by Sawdust, April 28, 2015 - 10:49 PM.

#5 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted April 29, 2015 - 05:09 AM

According to the Tube Frame Service Manual it uses Type A

http://gardentractor...ervice600-1155/

That will also show you where the drain plug is located.

• MH81 and Sawdust have said thanks

#6 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted April 29, 2015 - 07:33 AM

I seen that OB about the A & also have read that the newer Dextrons are backward compatible to the A fluid. Do the Eaton's react differently between the various fluids like A,F,& Dextrons. Looking at the fluid there's no way of knowing what's in there other than its red, clean & not burnt.

#7 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 10:23 PM

I found a place here in my home town that sells a lot of hydraulic seals. I took my lift control valve apart & replaced the seals. No more leaks & a little improvement in the tranny. My tension spring on my idler arm & pulley were weak. I could see the drive belts when running flopping outward more than they should...too loose. The cotter pin that holds one end of the spring was worn bad along with an old spring was not good. I relocated the end of the spring closer to the side frame to give me more tension. This has helped a lot. I am still confused about the fluid on these. Manual says type A, I know most replace with Dextron but some talk about type F & also using 30wt motor oil. I have the resoviour under the fender pan but I can't find a drain plug. I would really like to drain & replace the fluid so I'll know what I have in there. I read where some can't be drained without rebuilding, maybe this is the one I have. Thanks OB for Daniels download of the manual. This one is better than the one I had.