• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 hardinge OFFLINE  

hardinge

• Member No: 8289
  • 7 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 12:03 PM

A local metal shop is being cleaned out and I saw a pic with a tractor in it. Any kind or agricultural equeptment is pretty rare where I live and was hoping someone might have an idea what it was. I have contacted the owners to see if it is still available but no answer yet.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3744cbro.jpg

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 01:17 PM

Look through our Galleries. I don't recognize it. Good Luck, Rick

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 01:20 PM

I would need better pictures to have a chance to ID it. Looks like its missing quite a bit whatever it was. Maybe the owners will know.

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 04:40 PM

Tractor? Looks like just a cart as was used, pretty stripped. The other carts look more interesting and heavy duty, bigger size, get those!

#5 hardinge OFFLINE  

hardinge

• 7 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 11:12 PM

Yeah, there is not much left of it but in southern California it is slim pickings for walk behinds.  The present owners are the adult grandchildren of the shops original owner and do not know much about it. I may have a chance to see it on Saturday.

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 29, 2015 - 05:07 AM

I maybe a Pond/Wheel Horse RJ25, but not really enough to tell. Would love to have the tire and really  the whole thing. Great looking torch cart on the right of it, well built and heavy duty.

#7 hardinge OFFLINE  

hardinge

• 7 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted May 02, 2015 - 11:10 PM

I went and picked it up today, it was a real adventure as it was in a hundred year old blacksmith shop that has lain unused for about the last fifteen years. It has been a place I often wanted to see inside and finally got my chance. Dust and rust everywhere, Interior wood walls marked with the many branding irons made there and piles of tools mostly in a relic state. The folks doing the selling were the grandchildren of the founder who had worked there as kids and now are all doctors and other professionals and really nice people.

As for this tractor it has Mabry inc cast on one side of the "gearbox" and on the handlebar crosspiece it has a much eroded decal saying "Mabry  5-1  Montebello California" which I cannot find at all on the web.

The gearbox is not connected to the frame but is welded to a tube that covers the axle so it can be rotated forward and back, I think this is a sort of simple clutch but I do not have enough experience to know if that is a common setup.  I have not checked to see if it is belt, gear or chain drive but I think chain.

It has a fifties or sixties feel to it, if anyone has any info I would appreciate it  DSC00946.JPG DSC00945.JPG DSC00948.JPG

Edited by hardinge, May 03, 2015 - 11:51 PM.

• Gtractor, LPBolens and holdenboy1960 have said thanks