FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 09:33 PM

So after a great crop and success with my tomato plants last year that I started from seed, I am raising the bar so to speak.

I have two paste tomato seeds. (LaRoma II, and Opaka)
These will be started 8 weeks prior to last frost (May 17th) I plan to plant on May 31st.

Now, I am curious about the best way to start the rest, for example... I have some pepper seeds (Tangerine Dream from Burpee) They list 8 week prior to planting. I plan to do these also on the 31st, and start them 2 weeks after the tomato seeds.

The purple tomatillo seeds say 6 weeks prior. (again, plant 2 weeks after last frost? Or maybe earlier?)

My lettuce will be in a very large planter (like 36" diameter) I am thinking that I will start these pretty soon in my garage? Or how early could I put them outside in a black pot?

My butternut say to ground seed, but I could of used some more growing time last year. How soon could I start these?
I have some pumpkin that say's you can start them 4-6 weeks, would this work well for the butternut?

Now for something new, I am putting in a good size herb bed. For now, I have these:

Rosemary (8 weeks prior)
Chives (6 weeks prior)
Parsley (thin @ 1" - 2")
Oregano (emerge 10-21 days)
Basil (three types) (emerge 5- 10 & 7-14 days)
Cilantro (emerge 14-21 days)

So there we have it.... This is what I want to start from seed, but I am curious as to any hints for how much to stagger them. I should also mention, the peppers are going in one of those 36" black planter pots too. I "may" use my third one for the herbs if my extra raised bed's are not done in tyme. :smilewink:

In addition to this stuff, I have some ornamental corn that I may place a little patch around the squash, and bush beans... LOT'S of beans! Somewhere around 600 feet or so.

IF I get my 24" raised bed placed along one 50' fence row, I would love to transplant my rhubarb to it, maybe some okra, carrots, a better lettuce bed, cukes... and who knows what. With these beds, I plan to make some full cage boxes to sit over them. That will protect things like the lettuce. Anyway, any input would be great!

#2 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 08:37 AM

A nice big list and a couple things I have never grown(tomatillos). The lettuce, I used to plant lettuce and radishes around my aple trees by sprinkling the seed on top of the snow. They will germinate when the grond is warm enough.
You seem to have a handle on the tomatoes.
The bush beans I plant as soon as the ground is workable.
Your ornamental corn, squash and beans(pole I think) makes me think of an ancient Native American practice you might want to try.
I never have, but think if it has worked for centuries it would be worth a try.
Do a google search for "Three Sisters Garden" and see what you think.

#3 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 03:14 PM

I know very well of the three sister planting. I am not quite going that route, just letting the butternut grow around them. The pumpkin may not go in the garden it self. I did find a ton last night, I will post it tonight for everyone. Those herbs are early starters!!

#4 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 05:04 PM

Well, now that I am home... and not mobile, here is my finding. To make it easy on me, I plotted the charts and set up dates to sow and dates to plant. I am in zone 5 (5b really) with a last frost date set for May 15th. On line, you can find the set-out date (how many weeks after or before your last frost. With that info, you set planting date (say 2 weeks after last frost) and use the sow date counting back from the date you want to plant. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Tomato's = 1-2 weeks after last frost. My plant date is 5-29-11, and seed start is 4-3-11.

Pepper = 4-3 weeks after (plant date 5-29, sow 4-3)

Squash = 2 weeks after (plant date 5-29, sow 5-1)

Lettuce = 3-4 weeks before (plant date 4-14, sow 3-20)

Corn = 0-2 weeks after (plant date 5-15 , direct seed)

Pumpkin = 2 after (plant 5-29, sow 5-1)

Beans = 2 weeks after (plant 5-29, direct seed)

Tomatillo = 1 after (plant 5-22, sow 4-3)

Carrots = 4 week after (plant 4-17, sow 3-13)

Cucumber = 2 after (plant 5-29, sow 5-1)

HERBS

Rosemary = 1 after (plant 5-22, sow 3-27)

Chives = 1 after (plant 5-22, sow 3-27)

Parsley = 2-3 before (plant 4-17, sow 2-27) <=WOW!

Oregano = 1 after (plant 5-22, sow 3-27)

Basil = 1 after (plant 5-22, sow 4-10)

Cilantro = 0-2 after (plant 5-22, direct seed)

Tyme = 2 before (plant 5-1, sow 3-6)

Sage = 1 before (plant 5-8, sow 3-13)

So there is a nice list, more so if you are in zone 5 with me! I was very shocked at how long the herbs tend to need to grow indoors! Some were 9-10 weeks even! My parsley should of been started a month ago!

Sorry I did not keep how many weeks the sow date was, but a search on google will bring the info up.