3 replies to this topic

#1 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 10:38 PM

Tonight registered around 50 here in VA, so that put a stopper on any dream of throwing paint on my main projects.  I spent far too long tonight fussing with my Simplicity 7116H that I traded in a week or so ago.

For the record, these large frame Simplicity rigs are excellent machines.  I have had them before, but this is the first time I have really been able to study the design.  They are simple, and they keep the ol' mechanic in mind.  I like that combination. 

The engine runs great, and the deck cuts grass, but the tractor moves very slow forwards and the hydraulic lift does not work. 

I was not going to trade it at first since I was afraid the pump was toast, but then I realized that the linkages were the issue for the speed.  The hydraulic lift issue seemed to have been a dirty filter and a bad relief cartridge. 

I can buzz around in reverse all day long, but I can barely get a crawl out of fowards unless I pull up the fender pan and jam down the bracket with my hand.  I studied the service manual, and it stresses that I have to have the pivot points free to move.  I soaked everything in my favorite lubricant, Fluid Film, and that seemed to help, but not enough.

The speed control lever just doesn't pull the control bracket forward enough.   The pump has plenty of power.  With wheel weights and chains, that little guy can pull a barn down.  But only at .005 miles per hour. 

Looking at the pump, there is a helper spring pulling your swash plate in reverse, but nothing pulling it forwards.  From comparing other pictures, that seems to be the norm. 

Is there an adjustment I am too blind to see?  Or am I missing something?

Ben W. 

• Talntedmrgreen said thank you

#2 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 10:26 AM

If you have gone through the service manual and adjusted per the instructions, you should be flyin'.  My Sunstrand driven Simplicity machines are among the fastest I've owned.  Pull the wheels off the ground response and near road-worthy speed.  I actually gps'd my 7790 last summer, as it seems to rev a bit higher than my 917 and spins the pump faster.  I got 8.7mph.  I think the literature claims 7mph.

Somethin's not right...got pics?

• superaben said thank you

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 10:46 PM

If you have gone through the service manual and adjusted per the instructions, you should be flyin'.  My Sunstrand driven Simplicity machines are among the fastest I've owned.  Pull the wheels off the ground response and near road-worthy speed.  I actually gps'd my 7790 last summer, as it seems to rev a bit higher than my 917 and spins the pump faster.  I got 8.7mph.  I think the literature claims 7mph.

Somethin's not right...got pics?

That speed is my memory of Simplicity, too.

I'm suspecting my pump is what is not right.  I stopped and looked at another tractor in my inventory that does work like it should.  It also does not get to go the full range on that control unit, but that little sucker can scoot down the road.

I'll pull the relief valves tomorrow and check them.  I suspect that the charge side is leaking down somewhere.

Ben W. 

#4 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted April 29, 2015 - 07:54 AM

Did you check to make sure both poppet relief check valves are completely up. The valves that are pushed in so that you can push the tractor around when its not running. When I bought a Allis 716 H mine were stuck down. I figured out away to free them up so that a person doesn't have to buy new ones' Look at # 8 post in this link .http://gardentractor...oject-underway/

• Cvans said thank you