#1 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 08:55 PM

You guys know I have packed garage. Still buying more stuff, but really need place to put finished tractors and items out of weather. I was telling Mama need to build big lawn shed, or maybe small garage. Have thought about those metal pipe frame car-ports that you can put a door and sides onto, but by the time you get higher sides and doors and stuff, costs as much as better wood built garage. And garage more valuable. NOW, got dumb idea of building onto garage I have with lean-to type place. I've hated most lean-to's, think they look lame and most are made of junky siding and stuff. I would build pole barn or wooden type, probly have a foundation around outside at least. could be gravel floor for now. Garage door on front. My garage is either 9 or 10 foot walls and think might be high enough to make it look OK. Not sure how low the side wall would have to be then to get roof slant right. I've seen some under eave of garage to start, but think that makes it  too low. I could even go big time and run rafters clear up to the peak of present garage and slant down from there. That way would also allow taller wall on outside. This seems like best choice. I would leave the trusses alone in garage, could even leave most of roof right on it and just cut thru top section to add the rafters for addition. Could brace up off the present wall of garage, wouldn't need more support in lean-to don't think? Any thoughts? Not sure what builder permits and allowances are for such a thing, but gonna check. Wiring and other things could be added anytime. Would have to put in a few windows tho, those long but short on height windows up high is what I like and have on other garage. Lots of light, yet up out of way.

• tinbender7, oldedeeres, Sawdust and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 09:44 PM

Have you ever considered getting out of the hobby?

• tractorgarden, Cat385B, KC9KAS and 2 others have said thanks

#3 larrybl ONLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,941 Thanks
  • 3,322 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 09:55 PM

I built a lean-too once against a metal shed. Both ended up in the next door farmer field after a F-1 hit. I am thinking along the same line of a pre-fab shed to store the running machines in (with other stuff) to free up room in the Man cave for current projects.

At $500.00 or so the Lowes pre-fab metal buildings last about 10 years barring a F-1

At $1.500.00 or so a Morgan wood shed lasts 20 years or so.

I am also thinking about one of those $800.00 car ports. 

Not sure what I want to do here.

• Alc, tinbender7 and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#4 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,438 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 05:22 AM

An alternative may be a sea can depending on what they are worth in your area.  They are portable, stackable (for those who don't know when to quit) and can be resold

• oldedeeres and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#5 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,836 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 11:38 AM

Have you ever considered getting out of the hobby?

Now THAT'S funny,    :rolling:  :rolling:  :rolling:

#6 greenb69 OFFLINE  

greenb69
  • Member No: 65681
  • 268 Thanks
  • 210 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 12:17 PM

Rather than a lean to on the side how about adding on to the end of the garage . Much easier and looks good. 10 foot on the back can store a lot of gt's.
  • holdenboy1960 said thank you

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 04:55 PM

I was thinking of just adding on in back also. BUT, would cut off most of veiw from Sunroom at back and Mama says NO, not looking at garage all the time. Would be 24' wide and whatever length I made it, and easy/better. Maybe I could paint a scenery on it's side that faces house? A copy of what is really behind it, ha!  Oops. No artist here to make that right.

• Sawdust and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#8 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,141 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 08:38 PM

I was in the same position a few years ago with a place to store some haying machinery, like the square bailer, windrower and rake.  I finally went with a post type but used wood pallets for the walls.  Run a 4 x 4 between the 4x4 post set at 8' OC.  Set the pallets on the side on the stringer and nailed everyhting together.  Dismantled several pallets to come up with enough boards to cover the cracks on the outside.  Building was 16 X 32 with an 8' front and 6' back height.  With 2X6 joist, 2x4 perlings and new left over steel purchased from another project I came up with a good solid building for less than $500.  The pallets left natural have a rustic look, or they cam be stained any color you want.  I also use pallets to keep things off the dirt.

This type of construction is used a lot in Canada for about any thing you can think of.  Check it out on the net.  Your DOT usually has pallets they want to get rid of.

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 09:03 PM

I was in the same position a few years ago with a place to store some haying machinery, like the square bailer, windrower and rake. I finally went with a post type but used wood pallets for the walls. Run a 4 x 4 between the 4x4 post set at 8' OC. Set the pallets on the side on the stringer and nailed everyhting together. Dismantled several pallets to come up with enough boards to cover the cracks on the outside. Building was 16 X 32 with an 8' front and 6' back height. With 2X6 joist, 2x4 perlings and new left over steel purchased from another project I came up with a good solid building for less than $500. The pallets left natural have a rustic look, or they cam be stained any color you want. I also use pallets to keep things off the dirt.

This type of construction is used a lot in Canada for about any thing you can think of. Check it out on the net. Your DOT usually has pallets they want to get rid of.

Glad you can find pallets! Here in Newton there is an outfit that gets all they pallets in the county. The good ones are resold
And the broken ones are ground up for mulch. They have the market cornered.

Edited by JD DANNELS, May 13, 2015 - 09:04 PM.

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 08:39 PM

Don't think pallet garage would pass codes here. Need permit For building. Or, won't pass neighbors "rules" for sub.

#11 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 09:35 PM

A shed roof off of existing gabled roof would be a good choice because of costs per sq ft & ease of construction. A #2 2x8 in most areas will span around 16ft. 16" on center with a typical snow load for your area. You could cut in to the existing roof far enough up to give you a good wall height at the end wall. Cut off your existing soffit or rafter tails of your existing garage & add a knee wall straight up to support your new rafters. Most building departments will have a typical construction drawing of what they allow or recommend.