#1 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 07:50 PM

icon_evil.gif I had my ECM (out of a 93 mazda B2600i pickup) sent off to AVPROECM to have it rebuilt. I payed them the $190 (about all my money) and they had it back quite quick. I stuck it in my pickup and it would not work then it went up in smoke. I have tested (or replaced) everything (wires, sensors, fuel pump, main relay and checked every wire).
I contacted AVPROECM and they will not warranty it (although they told me it has a lifetime warranty when I first shipped it off to them). Although they said they would rebuild it for me for a $190 :mad2:

I took the case off of the ECM and there is a 3.9 ohm 1W (3R9J) resister that burned up. I'm ordering one and I'm going to solder it in my self. I should have done this to start with, I didn't know AVPROECM would just take my money and not fix it.

To fix this your self it will cost under $45.00, OR buy one from some other company because Avpro will only rip you off.

Here is what you need to do it your self
Spray sealant $10
Acetone $10
Capacitors $0.20
Solder (roll) $5
Soldering iron (adjustable temp) $18

Good luck and avoid AVPROECM

I am posting this on every mazda and vehicle forum I can.
Pass on the info to everyone you know!

• MH81, hamman, trowel and 1 other said thanks

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 07:56 PM

I will.

• tinbender7 and BTS have said thanks

#3 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 08:24 PM

Those electric doodads go bad for a reason.... the same reason they dont have a return on them

Edited by tater195, April 27, 2015 - 08:28 PM.

• BTS said thank you

#4 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 08:34 PM

Get one from junkyard, must be plenty of MAZDA's there! :smilewink:   You sure something else isn't gonna just blow your repairs? Has to be a reason for the problem, would think.  Just like a new fuse just blows on a problem, unless you fix the problem. I hate modern electronics in the newer verhicles, but there is plent more each new year.

• BTS said thank you

#5 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 08:41 PM

I agree with above. The smoke doesn't come out for no reason.
  • BTS said thank you

#6 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 10:28 PM

They only replaced 1 wire and 1 capacitor, the resister that burned out is original to the ECM. From what I have read, it is very common for the ECM's to go up in smoke, they say that that's how you tell when they go out. Once the resister is replaced then they are fine, these ECM's burn out easy because Mitsubishi (is who made these) used really cheap electronics so the components just go out for no reason. The pickup was running great before the ECM started having problems and then AVPROEMC just made things worse.

When I talked to the guy at AVPROECM I asked him how they test them, he said they just put it in a pickup and go for a 3 mile test drive.

I thought they would of had a better way of testing, I have heard of people getting their ECM's rebuilt just so they get a little better millage, but without hooking the ECM up to a computer or something how do they no they are working perfectly??? they could be flawed a little and it may not be noticeable in only 3 miles. When I first got this ECM back the little pickup ran great for about 10 minutes and would then shut it's self off. After it would sit and then it would restart. But then it wouldn't run quite as long, after a couple weeks of working on it and starting it. It would then no longer start. I then started testing every wire (which is what avproecm told me to do) and then I went to try to restart the pickup (after finding out every wire is good) and that's when the ECM burned up.

Edited by BTS, April 27, 2015 - 10:35 PM.

#7 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 01:51 AM

Did you test the Mass Air Flow Sensor?They are a real pain in the arse.

Some times when they go they will take out the Computer.It fries the part that tells the injectors to fire.

My brothers little 4x4 Toyota pickup had that problem.Replaced the computer and it lasted for a whole week then just shut off one day.It would restart after it sat for a while then shut back off again.He replaced everything he could think of.Fuel pump,Injectors,fuel pressure switch,TPS and the injector wiring harness.

After all that and it still wasn't running.He met someone at Autozone driving a jacked up Toyota 4x4 PU while he was picking up oil one day and and got to talking with him and he suggested changing the Mass Air Flow Sensor with a known good one.

He found someone that rebuilds them online somewhere and sent his in and got a rebuilt one for I think like $80 which is pretty cheap considering they cost over $300 new.

He put it in and went and got another computer from the junk yard and it fired up and ran good.He's put around 150k on it since then and not a single problem other than Rust.It's almost to the point of being parked because of extensive rust.But the little 22RE still runs like a top.  

• JDBrian and BTS have said thanks

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 04:44 AM

Sorry to hear about this frustrating problem. You may find that the resistor goes up in smoke again. It's dissipating way too much power. Something else must be causing that.  I would check all the solid state components to make sure nothing is shorted. Also any Electrolytic capacitors. If you have access to all the parts it's not that hard to verify that they are all OK. Make sure the capacitors they replaced were installed with the correct polarity. I'm assuming they are polarized Electrolytic types. If they put one in backwards it would probably fester for a while and then short out. That could explain why it worked for their brief test then failed when you installed it. also make sure your VR is working properly. If it's not regulating it will allow voltages up to 60v peak to reach the ECM.

• BTS said thank you

#9 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 06:35 AM

Sounds like they are begging for a chance to try to repair it or at least diagnose it again,any important details you are leaving out?

Warranty Policy

All products sold or remanufactured by AvPro Company carry a Lifetime - same owner warranty.

The warranty covers the amount charged for services (remanufacturing) and products (eg: core charges) as well as $10 applied to the original freight costs. AvPro  cannot be responsible for any additional costs incurred by a customer for diagnosis of a vehicle, etc.. If a customers' vehicle does not operate properly after an AvPro sold or remanufactured ecm is installed or during the warranty period, the customer is encouraged to call our office or return the ecm immediately for warranty repair. Money spent for diagnostics is a decision made by the customer, not by AvPro Company.

All warranty repairs or refunds will be handled as they come in and sequenced with new business. AvPro makes every effort to maintain our same day service but cannot guarantee such service.

AvPro Company reserves the right for a second attempt to repair any ecm in the timely fashion stated above or an immediate refund will be issued.

Any damage to an ecm repaired by AvPro by defective equipment or parts in the vehicle that the unit is installed in has a limited warranty. An honest attempt will be made by AvPro to repair such damage free of charge. If the ecm has been rendered not repairable however, no refund will be made. An example would be a second failure of an idle-air speed control motor that short circuits and causes damage to the ecm a second time. Generally a second failure of this type will render the ecm not repairable.

Any engine or transmission controller arriving at AvPro partially disassembled with the metal case missing will have a limited warranty. Any damage done by the customer re-assembling the final assembly will NOT be covered under warranty. Additionally, any ECMs that are returned with heat damage due to a customer sending a bare circuit board instead of the entire unit and then when re-assembling, not properly tightening heat sink surfaces, etc. will NOT be covered under warranty. 

Ninety five percent of all warranty returns used to end up with the product NOT being defective. As a result we initiated a policy of asking warranty returns to be accompanied with $30. If a defect is found, it is repaired and the $30 is returned with the repaired unit. Since starting that policy, the number of good units being returned dropped by 75%. If no problem is found we use the $30 for testing and return shipping.

• BTS said thank you

#10 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,736 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 07:30 AM

Thanks for the info,

When I read their warranty I thought they would cover it until I talked to them on the phone.

I'm not leaving out anything.

• MH81 said thank you

#11 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 07:28 PM

I know its sounds frustrating but if you have discovered which resistor is bad you may want to call them up and ask what part of the circuit it is in. Something let the smoke out and if you do have a part shorted out somewhere else you will have to replace it before the next ECM goes up in smoke. If AVPRO can identify what that resistor goes to, it may help you find the problem sooner.

• JDBrian, BTS and toomanytoys84 have said thanks