76 replies to this topic

#1 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 08:33 PM

I am about to buy an MF7 with some known and unknown issues. I am new the the Massey's and would appreciate any knowledge that would be helpful. It does not have a deck and am wondering if anyone knows where I can get one or at least how much I should spend that would be great. Also, I have hear there is a Honda 8 hp that is pretty much a bolt in, anyone know what model that is or if that is bs? I am pretty sure it needs a new engine and maybe a new rearend. Thanks guys!
Adam

#2 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 09:38 PM

Hey Adam, I redid a MF7, but the the motor was good. I did have to rebuild the carb, other than that it was all working so I don't know about the Honda fitting but I also have heard something about them being used. I have seen the mower decks on ebay but I don't know what they went for, I don't think they were too much. I still have to rebuild my mower deck. I sure like using the MF7 with a cart for cleanup etc. I even use the front blade on it a lot. Good luck and keep us posted on your work.
  • middleageddeere said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 09:56 PM

The MF 7's were more along the Lawn Tractor line. They did have a blower available, & I think a blade, but they were never designed with ground engaging equipment in mind. Unless these are exceptionally rare in your area, I'd say this sounds like a parts tractor.

As for price, it's probably best if you can work it so it's pretty low. The original engine is an aluminum block with no cast liner. I don't know what else used that tranny, but with all the parts you are looking at buying, you may want to take stock of what the best case scenario could be and see how much you want to invest in it ( at this point a realist would double his estimated cost outlay)

I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, and if you can get it reasonable, it'll be a nice smaller addition to the herd.
Wish you the best of luck on saving the critter.

As for the deck, someone else may be able to tell you if there is another deck that will work... Maybe the 8's?

#4 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 04:43 AM

Looks like I can get it for $50 and the only known issue is that it doesn't have a key, but it seems that the engine and tranny might both be locked...They don't seem to know much about it, so I am going in a little blind. We will see how if goes after work today.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 10:50 AM

You may be pleasantly surprised &find a stuck valve or something. As for the tranny, is it still below freezing up there? If so, there may be water in the tranny and the ice is locking it up. It doesn't seem to take much to get enough to get up into the gears and stop up the whole shooting match.

#6 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted March 23, 2011 - 08:33 AM

Got it, turns out neither the engine nor the rear are locked up. Was stuck in gear and they assumed it was locked up. Rear end spins when we picked up one tire though. I will probably take some pics today. I am thinking with a gas system clean out and charge the battery I might get lucky and start this thing up. Oh any ideas on a temporary key?

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted March 23, 2011 - 10:51 AM

The OEM key was probably one of the generics. You should be able to pick one up at TSC... assuming the switch still works. May want to shoot some PB Blaster in & let it soak a while.

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 23, 2011 - 11:32 AM

The MF7 and MF8 are identical other then one having a 7hp and the other a 8 hp. The 7hp engines in the MF7's are know to be weak or troublesome. A lot of them were switched to 8hp by the dealers when they blew.

I am sure there is a Honda that will bolt right in.

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 23, 2011 - 11:33 AM

I should add that they are great little tractors to mow with, mainly for trimming if you have a larger yard. Their turning radius is incredibly short.

#10 Stoneman OFFLINE  

Stoneman

Masseyholic

• Member No: 1763
  • 26 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted March 23, 2011 - 12:23 PM

I just got done blowing snow with my 7. Our new husqvarna 2 stage snowblower's augar kept getting clogged so my 7 had to do the whole driveway. It worked really well! I admit it could have used a couple extra horses but am very pleased with it. Good luck with yours :thumbs:

#11 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted March 23, 2011 - 01:34 PM

massey front.jpg
Paints faded, but not terrible. Turns over but I didn't have gas in it yet, seems to shift but the rear end still seems locked...That is my current mystery. It appears to have compression but I haven't put the tester on it yet. Will update. Anyone have any ideas on a starter that won't disengage?

Attached Thumbnails

• massey back.jpg
  • massey side.jpg

#12 Stoneman OFFLINE  

Stoneman

Masseyholic

• 26 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted March 23, 2011 - 01:44 PM

I've had a lot of briggs starters do that sometimes when they don't start. the engine has to start for for the starter to disengage. When you turn it over with the starter the engine has to be going faster than the starter for it to disengage. Somtime when they don't start they just ''get stuck''. Hope this helps.

#13 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted March 23, 2011 - 03:21 PM

I am sure you all have seen this before. Never understood what little rodents love about these engine.
massey engine.jpg
It's got spark and compression but will only fire if I dump gas in it. Must have to clean the carb yet. Anyone know if I can get a rebuild kit for this carb? Starter problem fixed itself and still wondering about the rear end.

#14 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

middleageddeere

Tacos!

• 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted March 23, 2011 - 03:25 PM

Also, can anyone give me the model number for this engine? So, I can get the right parts if I do find em? Thanks again.

#15 Stoneman OFFLINE  

Stoneman

Masseyholic

• 26 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted March 23, 2011 - 05:39 PM

I had the same problem right after i rebuilt mine, try uncrewing the jet on the bottom of the carb and hpefully it pops off. i cranked and cranked on mine and all i got were little ''pops'' but it took right of once i unscrewed the jet, the model number should be h70-130076