• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DougN OFFLINE  

DougN
  • Member No: 35275
  • 10 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 06:41 PM

I have a 1956 or 57 david bradley walk behind and replaced the carburetor with a Chinese made one. I think that was a mistake because I can't get it adjusted to run right at all. Acts like its too rich or slightly flooding all the time. It also at times revs to full throttle when just sitting still idling. The needle valve in the old carb was letting gas keep coming in after the bowl was full and leaking out the bottom of the carb and also flooded the engine. I should have ordered the repair kit but I thought the body might be corroded some and the needle valve wouldn't seat right. 

The Chinese carb was $29 compared to ninety something for a Briggs. Probably a disgrace putting the Chinese carb on an American made machine like that. 

Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong I could fix to get it running better?

Thanks,

Doug

• tinbender7 said thank you

#2 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 07:07 PM

sounds like the jets are too big, or, airflow through the system is inadequate. Check float levels, make sure the air filter is clean and there are no obstructions to the airflow.

Are smaller jets available for the carb?

I can't explain the sudden high speed revs, Usually that means an extreme rich condition. Which could point to fuel starvation, or something completely different, like a faulty fuel pump (if it has one).

Check to make sure your fuel lines and filter can handle the flow to feed the carb.

• tinbender7 and DougN have said thanks

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 07:32 PM

Doug,

Total junk, will never run right, chuck it and rebuild the original carb, worth every penny.

Contact our sponsor Old Paths Equipment, Ben carries a range of parts at reasonable prices.

• tinbender7, HDWildBill, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#4 DougN OFFLINE  

DougN
  • 10 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 07:39 PM

It uses the old wire mesh and oil bath air filter. It does the same thing though with it removed. No fuel pump just gravity feed with the fuel tank higher than the carb. I bought the carb on ebay and its manufactured in Hong Kong. The outside looks identical to the old Briggs except the manifold mounting screws are metric threads. Not sure about the inside, have not taken it apart. No problem with fuel flow to the carb, getting plenty to it. Not sure if smaller jets are available, I can check on that.

A lot of vibration to the engine now with this carb compared to the old one also.

#5 DougN OFFLINE  

DougN
  • 10 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 07:44 PM

Thanks Trowel for the reply. That is what I was afraid of...Chinese junk. I should have known better. 

Edited by DougN, April 27, 2015 - 07:44 PM.

• trowel and tinbender7 have said thanks

#6 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 07:53 PM

We all did it at one point or another.

#7 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 07:58 PM

Hang on, let me call Ben,...

HEY ! TRACTOR GUY !!!!!! YEAH YOU WITH THE FARMALL !!!

#8 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 09:54 AM

Every once in a while I get one of those Chinese go karts or 4 wheelers in for repair and just cringe at having to deal with them.  I have a 4 wheeler I got when a customer just said keep it.  I replaced the carburetor on it and it runs but I'm constantly having to do one repair or another on it.

A couple of years ago the starter clutch went out on my Harley.  I decided it would be better to just replace the starter then replace the starter clutch on the old starter.  So I got a Chinese one off Ebay.  It didn't last 4 months.  I ended up rebuilding the old starter with an AllBalls starter clutch and haven't had an issue since.  By the way replacing a starter on a Heritage is no easy matter the oil tank has to come out and 3/4 of the electrics to even get at the starter.  Lesson learned.

I agree with Trowel, save your self a lot of head ache and rebuild the old carburetor and if you don't know how there is plenty of expertise here that can walk you through it. 

• trowel and DougN have said thanks

#9 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 10:03 AM

This is now the 3rd person in the last few weeks that has had problems with these carbs

Your talking about this one correct?

They are totally different than the OEM carbs and nothing is interchangeable, As the old adage goes you pay for what you get (Not trying to be a smart A$$ but its true)

I sell aftermarkets for this style but they are to OEM spec and take OEM parts, Priced around $90, I cant imagine where guys are getting these things, must be straight from china.

When in doubt check with the sponsors :thumbs:

$_57.JPG

• Alc, Lauber1, trowel and 1 other said thanks

#10 DougN OFFLINE  

DougN
  • 10 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 08:39 AM

I ordered the repair kit. Thanks to all of you for the help here.

#11 DougN OFFLINE  

DougN
  • 10 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted May 01, 2015 - 12:28 PM

I asked for a refund on the Chinese carburetor I bought on ebay and this was the response...

"Many thanks for your message, We received many such feedback, It's not the carby problem. Pls check following:

Removing the fuel adjustment valve needle and the nozzle tube, The smallest pin hole on the nozzle tub Must be completely blocked. If so, It will result such problem. Check pls

Best Regards
Mr Wang

- x-motors"

So I buy a new carburetor and I have to take it apart and work on it before it works? Buyer beware I guess. I hope others see the posts here and don't fall for the cheap Chinese stuff.

Doug

#12 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted May 01, 2015 - 12:36 PM

As I read their reply I thought the same thing.  Have to take a brand new carb apart????  You know what you need to do next give them some bad feed back on Ebay not just a message to them.  You may get your money back.

• DougN said thank you