• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nevrdun OFFLINE  

Nevrdun

• Member No: 1742
  • 1 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 02:44 PM

I can't get the old tecumseh to come to life. One sputter and nothing since even with starting fluid. I have spark across the plug but it doesn't even attempt to fire. I'm hesitant to invest much in the old engine, has any one re-powered a MF5 with a new replacement engine? I've never attempted a engine replacement that wasn't with an identical engine. I have moderate mechanical and fabrication skills but not sure what I'm in for or what would be critical other than getting the same drive pulley diameters/configuration at the correct elevation.  I don't mind a challenge but don't want to throw money at a lost cause either.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,532 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 03:12 PM

I have no idea of the condition of your engine so, I have to speak generally. Go to our Manuals Section and look for the correct engine manual. Follow the troubleshooting guide to find the problem. Two that come to mind : stuck valve(no compression) or sheared flywheel key(timing off).

A complete disassembly and cleaning only costs time. You can probably rebuild it with a $100 kit and some machining. With the engine out you can match the bolt pattern, pto size, and linkages for a replacement. A lawn mower engine may fit. Good Luck, Rick

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 05:48 PM

Larry,

I would be cheaper in the short run to throw in a new engine, trouble is, few years later the engine will start spitting problems. We rebuild our old engines and tractors because of the new stuff is built to fail. I would advise you to continue to working on the Tech engine, you never know, it could only be a $ 5.00 part needed.

• boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 08:38 PM

Larry, I'm with Jesse.  I would try to save that old Tecumseh.  If I was you, I would start by replacing both the condenser and points.  You can have spark outside of an engine, but no spark under the stress of compression and fuel fouling.

Ben W. 

• boyscout862 said thank you