• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Trump OFFLINE  

Trump

• Member No: 2082
  • 1 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 06:52 PM

well got some bad news today while i was at work i took my massey over to my fathers for some tech support he retired from caterpillar and likes prodjects to stay busy it was severly under powered for some reason here it turns out that now i realize why the guy was selling it he told me it ran good needed carb work it turns out that the rod on the starter side broke and it still runs you just cant kill an onan so now do i part it out ?:rolleyes:

#2 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 07:04 PM

Depends on what you want and how much money you can spend. A full reduild of the onan is expensive but you will get another 20+ years if done right. You could always repower ether with a new engine or find a used one. Then there is the deisal option ( your dad may like that one). The 1655 is a great tractor but there are others great ones out there.
  • Trump said thank you

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 07:04 PM

Most of the time, the rod journal on the crank can be cleaned up using muriatic acid to eat the aluminum off it. Taking care, you can do this with engine "in block", pulling engine, then oil pan... placing plastic under journal to keep acid from hitting aluminum block below. Do only outside as fumes are NASTY. Keep brushing on the acid until foaming action stops. Then using fine emery cloth, polish up the crank, then check to see if it is still within spec with dial caliper or micrometer. If within, find a new or good used rod & replace. Check those rings on piston while in there. Piston may have been whacked & needs replaced anyway. I have re-rodded a many Onan with tossed rods & NEVER had to replace the crankshaft. Always bought used rods off ebay too on the cheap. If you go to replace both rods, then buy the beefier later style rods like in the 20hp. MUCH stronger rod, without the "window" in the rod beam & beefier cross section too.

16hp rod: John-Deere-318-onan-P218-P220-engine-std-piston-%26-rod.jpg

20hp rod: 140.jpg
  • Trump said thank you

#4 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 09:06 PM

Rods break from no oil, lugging high load low engine speeds, or over revving

Might as well pull the engine and inspect because whether you part it out or fix it you have to do that.

A rod is $80x2=$160. Youll need some gaskets, might as well replace the seals. Dont think it would be more than $250 if youre going new.

Old & New Style Rods : Onanparts.com, Your Onan Parts Solution

I think its well worth fixing.
  • Trump said thank you

#5 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 07:14 AM

Or if nothing else someone on here will be nice and remove that hunk of junk from your property, free of charge. We must remain vigilant in helping our friends. nieghbors, and fellow board mates in keeping there property cleaned of broken tractors that have no real value. So just tell us where it is at and I am sure someone will figure out a way to help you out! :D