#16 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 08:14 PM

I see you have hydraulic brakes on that one. Never had those. Seems cylinder is big! Wonder if common sizes or brand to get kits or new? Linings most brake parts shops can relief your metal shoes. Behind that drum is center cover. Yours looks heavy, not just 2pc tin mine has. There was main drive gear just inside that which rode on spider in bull gear on mine. That whole axle was short and slid over big main axle that went to other side. Maybe this axle is diff? Big axle pulls out taking nut off right side. I had main case open at time, might need to do that to pull? Keep pix coming?

#17 Chiefbobber OFFLINE  

Chiefbobber
  • Member No: 69959
  • 9 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 08:06 PM

Dressed the damaged end on the axle and slid it in. I still have to hand machine the slot for the step key once I get it. glgrumpy my cover is cast iron and should take a gasket so I can run gear oil. Also I believe the Wheel cylinders may be the same as an early juice drum brake FLH Harley. DSCN6343.JPG Just making sure I have all the right parts before I do the cleanup labor.

#18 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 21, 2015 - 03:23 AM

Well, that does look a little beefier than ones  I've worked on. Mine only had one spider gear, but knew some had two. These parts look heavier also. My tin cover did not have a gasket and not too sealed up, nothing in middle where axle went thru. There was gear oil in bottom of the case. I had to make my own gasket for that and wondered if it would seal. Worked out very well. Guess the gears just kinda splashed the oil up on themselves and a little leaking here or there was going to be the norm. It did leak some at that cover center, but not bad while I owned it. Which wasn't real long, about a year. My gears weren't even machined! They were only smooth on bull and pinion from wearing. Those side bevel gears to drive axles were almost just like they were as cast, no machining. Pretty odd.