• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Chiefbobber OFFLINE  

Chiefbobber
  • Member No: 69959
  • 9 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted April 26, 2015 - 06:09 PM

I joined here today because it became nesassary. I had a local couple buy my 128 cub cadet the other day and when I delivered it I saw an old tractor sitting in the woods. After inquiring about it I was told a sad story. The tractor had belonged to this womans prior husband (deceased). Her new guy was going to restore it until it was run over by a skidder. Luckly for me I can pound metal. So now I'm the proud owner of a 1632 #6675. I felt pretty good about the until today when I dicovered that the axle is missing. The folks I bought it from are out of town till next week. Hopefully it's in the barn or something. If not what are the chances of getting a replacement?DSCN6210.JPG DSCN6212.JPG DSCN6233.jpg

• MH81, wvbuzzmaster and superaben have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted April 26, 2015 - 06:38 PM

OK, help me out here. I see the axles both in tractor. There is a long one going from that bullgear area over to the right side that is inside. Zat gone? Can't tell from pix. I see the cover off the chain from trans to gear there, easy find. Most sellers or owners of Speedex are in NE Ohio or parts of PA whenever I have seen for sale or parts. I have name of parts guy, would have to look up later. Go to www.speedextractorinformationl.org  Note the Org, not com and find manuals and download one for diagrams. Not much in them, only a few pages to print easy. You might have to use 1630 manual if not the exact one you have on the site. Most of the big iron axles/housings are the same. I have 1622 and it has hydro axle and is completely diff, but same front hood as yours. Might be just as easy to buy another tractor with same axle to get the parts or swap out on this one. Is there still the big Briggs engine in it? The engines slide back/forth a little with pedal push to tighten the belt and be the clutch. Kinda odd, but they work.

• Alc and Chiefbobber have said thanks

#3 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted April 26, 2015 - 06:46 PM

Welcome to GTTalk. 

#4 Chiefbobber OFFLINE  

Chiefbobber
  • 9 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted April 26, 2015 - 07:58 PM

OK, help me out here. I see the axles both in tractor. There is a long one going from that bullgear area over to the right side that is inside. Zat gone? Can't tell from pix. I see the cover off the chain from trans to gear there, easy find. Most sellers or owners of Speedex are in NE Ohio or parts of PA whenever I have seen for sale or parts. I have name of parts guy, would have to look up later. Go to www.speedextractorinformationl.org  Note the Org, not com and find manuals and download one for diagrams. Not much in them, only a few pages to print easy. You might have to use 1630 manual if not the exact one you have on the site. Most of the big iron axles/housings are the same. I have 1622 and it has hydro axle and is completely diff, but same front hood as yours. Might be just as easy to buy another tractor with same axle to get the parts or swap out on this one. Is there still the big Briggs engine in it? The engines slide back/forth a little with pedal push to tighten the belt and be the clutch. Kinda odd, but they work.

It has a iron water pipe running thru both wheels so I'd have to assume both axle sections are missing. I did download several manuals off the suggested site yesterday. The original 16 HP is still under the hood however the skidder guy hit the carb intake assembly and broke it off at the block. I believe that I have another intake on a Farm King the I'm going to repower. I've been trying to figure out where/how the clutch works. Humm... slideing engine, sounds simple enough. I believe it's a 3 speed.

DSCN6213.JPG DSCN6234.JPG

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 03:30 AM

The axle is about the size of a pipe, I guess, but solid.  Right side has big nut on it and washer, not even sure a seal there. Seems like a bushing you grease and if kept full, keeps dirt out with washer over it. Then on left side is a shorter axle that slips over the long one and has a differential gear built into it, with teeth on sides? NO wait. That gear is NOT the diff gear, but teeth on it's side to push up to the differental gears held into the big bull gear center. Some have two gears there and some only one. They are on short shaft, usually just welded in to hold gear. At times these can wear bad or break out. This whole left gear just fits thru the thin metal housing area on side of bull case, usually two halves that overlap. Again, no seal, closed up should keep some of oil in gear tray below in place, ha!  Look at your manual blow-ups and see if you can tell how it goes together.  I think awhile ago, I had pix of my tear-down on here for one. Don't recall the name of posting, but you might look on older pages in this section and try to find. Seems it was a 1430 model? Might be in title. The gears on all this rear are real rough, not gear smooth cut at all. If they are smooth, it is just from wear. The teeth look like rough castings when new, kinda weird.

• Alc said thank you

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 03:37 AM

If  you take off that belt guard, you will see the belt and an idler and the pulley on trans front. Below that on frame, maybe where the hand lift goes thru to pivot is also same area that the pedal swivels on and has two rods to it. ONe rod goes to front to push the engine forward to go, and big spring below engine on axle pivot pushes it back. You can push pedal over hard ant it locks in place for longer uses w/out having to hold it. Push on bottom of pedal and it pops back and will push the second rod back to an arm that has V-belt chunk on it, and goes into the pulley on trans to make a brake. Not the greatest brake, but it does work. It helps mostly to stop trans, so you can shift easier. Moving gears in trans make grinding if not stopped. There are little rollers under frame under engine mounts  that are ecentric to set clearance and should be greased up in that area to slide easier. Top of frame same area for the engine mounts metal to slide on too.

• Alc said thank you

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,609 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 05:26 AM

Welcome to GTTalk !!   I see you already found out what a great group of members we have here .

#8 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 02:59 PM

Cheif, here is name of fella might have parts. I've bought parts and two tractors from him and seem to be exactly what he said they were. He's hard to get ahold of, leave phone messages.

Rod Morris   8one4-603-1781

Lives in PA

Goes by S24 speedex also on some fourms.  Maybe I need a  private message for phone numbers????????????

• Chiefbobber said thank you

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 05:46 PM

Cheif, here is name of fella might have parts. I've bought parts and two tractors from him and seem to be exactly what he said they were. He's hard to get ahold of, leave phone messages.

Rod Morris   814-603-1781

Lives in PA

Goes by S24 speedex also on some fourms.  Maybe I need a  private message for phone numbers????????????

Would be best!

• Chiefbobber said thank you

#10 Chiefbobber OFFLINE  

Chiefbobber
  • 9 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 09:44 PM

Wow thanks guys. Before I do anything I'm going to return to where I got it and see if I can find whats missing, then I'm going to strip the tractor down a bit and learn what I can from the exploded views and looking at the tractor. I'll update when I'm a bit smarter.

• MH81 said thank you

#11 Chiefbobber OFFLINE  

Chiefbobber
  • 9 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 09:09 AM

Well after spending way too much time mucking around where I pulled the tractor from I only managed to pull half the axle from the mud. I just contacted S24 Speedex (thanks glgrumpy) and he say he has one. Just so happens I need to head out to Pittsburgh this weekend so win win.

• olcowhand and MH81 have said thanks

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 11:59 AM

Glad you were able to find some of it and resource the rest.
Looking forward to seeing it move under its own power.

#13 Chiefbobber OFFLINE  

Chiefbobber
  • 9 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 03:04 PM

Met Rod out in PA yesterday. He supplied the axle for my 1632. He's a man after my own heart. SO now it's time to rip it down. Thanks Rod and glgrumpy.

• olcowhand said thank you

#14 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 04:32 PM

Glad he could help you out. He was a little less freindly at first on phone and such, but better to deal with after we talked. I've never met him, and wondered if he had a barn full of parts and tractors?  How was it at his place? No pictures, heh!  Seems he has a property away from house with barns of stuff. Saw my tractors I bought from him under tarps along a lean to in pictures. He is honest on what he has and condition too.

#15 Chiefbobber OFFLINE  

Chiefbobber
  • 9 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 18, 2015 - 07:14 PM

I'll say this about that, Rod is an avid collector of Speedex parts and tractors. He is very congenial and easy to work with. Anyone will benefit from dealing with him. However anyone dealing with him should be very patient on the time it takes. He is a very busy guy and he can and will help you but, he doesn't do this for a living and it can't be real high priority as meat on the table comes first. So be patient and be courteous. He has a wonderful treasure trove of parts that he is WILLING TO SHARE!!!

That being said I'll now move on.

I started to tear down the tractor today but didn't get very far. The right hand key-way is worn but a stepped key and a little magic will cure that.DSCN6340.JPG DSCN6341.JPG