• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 T-TOP TOM OFFLINE  

T-TOP TOM
  • Member No: 69954
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 26, 2015 - 04:30 PM

When I go to turn on the power take off for the deck blades it keeps blowing the 20amp fuse. Where and how do I find what is causing this to happen.  Thanks for any feedback.   Tom

#2 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 26, 2015 - 04:58 PM

Welcome to GTtalk. If you could give us some more information like the brand name and model so someone familiar with that brand and model can possibly help would be good.  Sounds like you have a direct short, can you read a volt/OHM meter?

• MH81 said thank you

#3 T-TOP TOM OFFLINE  

T-TOP TOM
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 26, 2015 - 10:10 PM

Welcome to GTtalk. If you could give us some more information like the brand name and model so someone familiar with that brand and model can possibly help would be good.  Sounds like you have a direct short, can you read a volt/OHM meter?

Sorry it is a Cub Cadet FMZ50 mower.  I can read a volt/OHM meter but don't know how tell if I have a short or a bad PTO unit. 

#4 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 09:23 AM

I would start off by disconnecting the electrical connector of the PTO from the tractor.  Put you meter on the OHM scale then put your red lead from the meter on the hot wire to the PTO and the black wire to ground.  You should read infinity.  If it zeros out then that is your problem.  Could be either a bare wire or a bad PTO. If that checks out then do the same to the tractor wiring coming down to the PTO.

• MH81 said thank you

#5 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 09:31 AM

Check around where the wires go through the "frame" (engine pan). MTD likes to save a nickle on production every place they can, so they dont use grommets. That is where they usually short out

• MH81 said thank you

#6 T-TOP TOM OFFLINE  

T-TOP TOM
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 05:53 PM

Check around where the wires go through the "frame" (engine pan). MTD likes to save a nickle on production every place they can, so they dont use grommets. That is where they usually short out

I bypassed the PTO switch and ran hot wire and ground wire to PTO pigtail and everything was ok so the problem is in the PTO switch.  The Cub Cadet dealer wanted $40 plus tax for the switch I ordered one off ebay for $12.99 shipped will be delivered in three working days.  Thanks of your suggestions on this problem.  Tom

• Gtractor and HDWildBill have said thanks

#7 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 06:03 PM

I took a blind swing at it being a CC. I looked up the model number to verify what you had...ne'er seen that'un afor.

It could be a shorted relay too