#16 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 08:05 AM

Dano, The pictures you posted of your Super A are where the add on block would go. If you notice the difference between your pics and mine the add on block is the rectangle shaped block bolted between the rockshaft unit and the casting part with the 2 hydraulic lines and the three bolts. What the block does is block off the in coming hydraulic oil from the pump and reroute it back to the rockshaft lift. You tap into the pressure at the allen screw, route that to your open center add on hydraulic valve and the return line from the add on valve goes into the rear of the block and then into the rockshaft unit. Doing it this way both the rockshaft and your hydraulic valve will work with the live hydraulics.
I looked at some of your other videos you posted. You have a very nice old Farmall and have some neat attachments to go with it. These are great old tractors and are easy to work on and fun to use.
The wife had set up the you tube handle and I just added my videos under that. That's why it isn't under tractormike.
  • DanO said thank you

#17 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 11:02 AM

Dan,

You are not a dummy, you just don't have that kind of experience yet. We all have had to learn this stuff at some point in time. Don't be so hard on yourself, just learn and enjoy what you are doing. Isn't that what life is all about?
  • DanO said thank you

#18 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1918
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 07:38 PM

Thanks Again Mike...I'm gonna order that piece you sent me the link for on ebay and try to make this come togeather....I'm a little intimidated by it all but like Brian said, I gotta learn this stuff...Other than my 1988 Dump truck & my 1959 lickity Split Log Splitter, I never even owned anything with Hydraulics and those two have never failed me so my hands on experience has been Zip!!!!!! I've done every other kind of mechanical repairs on everything you can imagine but other than Brake & Clutch Systems, hydraulics has Not been part of my Life until Now....Time To Go Back To School I Guess!!!!!!!!!!!!
Brian, thanks for the vote of confidence....I have 3 Kids who are Teachers and whenever they ask me a Question about anything they don't understand, that is my set answer " I Don't Know 'Nuttin I'm a Dummy"

Edited by DanO, March 22, 2011 - 08:31 PM.

#19 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 08:30 AM

I think you will like the control of the bucket when you go with the hydraulic setup. It will not be to bad to hook up what you want to do. You will need the block you are ordering, an open center hydraulic valve, a hydraulic cylinder and hoses to connect everything. The valve will have 4 ports on it. One will be hydraulic oil in from the tractor hydraulic system, one will be hydraulic oil out back to the block on the tractor. The other two ports will connect to your hydraulic cylinder to make that move in and out. That is it in a nutshell. Depending on the size/number of cylinders you are going to use the tractors hydraulic reservior may have enough oil in it to work fine. If not, adding a small oil tank isn't that much work. Good luck on your project and keep us posted. Mike

#20 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 09:18 AM

Well I Priced everything out all that I need to make it work off the Hydraulics and it comes to well over $200
That's more than i have in my 'Toy Expense Account" right now. I am NOT giving up on the idea of the Hydraulics in the near Future but for now it's on Hold..... as you can see in the video I just posted the amount of work I need the Hydraulics to do just dosen't quite justify all that extra money right now, so I'm back to the Drawing board of trying to come up with a manual operated Dump and Return for the bucket.
Any suggestions would be greatly Appreciated. ..... thanks again , DanO'

YouTube - Farmall Super A Rear Bucket Loader Update

#21 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 04:11 PM

It's funny that Tractor Mike posted those pictures. When I read this thread I was thinking, that I had just watched the neighbor on his 601 Ford with a trip bucket with the spring return put some gravel on his driveway. You could use the spring return until you could finance the hydralics.
Wait a minute I have an Idea(maybe) I recently was watching a video on the Johnny Bucket site of a Farmall Cub with a Johnny Bucket.
They made no mention of the tractor being switched to 12 volt.
Can the electric actuators be bought in 6 volt?

#22 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 06:43 PM

No, I checked that out...Those Actuators are only 12 Volt as are all Auto Winches.....I seen that video of the Cub with the Johnny Bucket, very cool but those Johnny Buckets are much small and MUCH Lighter in weight than my Loader Bucket which off a Termite Excavator....I'm spending the whole weekend working on this Puzzle and one way or another I'm gonna solve it. Springs are definitely in the works!!!!! (I Think?)

#23 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted March 26, 2011 - 07:04 PM

Dano, on my loader the snow bucket is to heavy for it to swing back and latch by the spring. All I have to do is lower the bucket to the ground and the latch catches. If you follow the video of my loader when I lower the loader all the way down after dumping the bucket you can hear it click when the latch catches. When I am dumping snow I just let the loader down as I am backing up from the pile, let the bucket catch, and start to raise the loader a bit before I shift and go forward again. Your super A has the advantage of live hydraulics. The pump runs all the time the engine is running. My H hydraulic pump only runs when the clutch is out. I can lower the loader anytime as it uses one way cylinders and gravity lowers it but to raise it the clutch has to be out.
You could add a couple of springs to the bucket to take most of the "bang" out of when the bucket hit the stops at the end of it's travel as well as relatching the bucket after dumping it.

Edited by tractormike, March 26, 2011 - 07:12 PM.
added info

• DanO said thank you

#24 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted March 27, 2011 - 05:24 PM

Thanks Mike, I have been thinking about using Springs since I started this Project and Your Input has helped a Lot. I've been working on it all weekend and have Made great Progress. I'm Using 2 Garage Door Springs, rated at 120 lbs each for the Bucket Return (Bucket weighs approx. 200 lbs) and I mounted 2 old 4 inch GT Seat Springs with Rubber Tops, right where the bucket would hit the Stops and it works Great, the Bucket swings, Hits the small Springs which cushions the BANG to near ZERO, then gives the Empty Bucket Just enough Bounce Back to reach the point where the Bigger Springs take over and pull it back to the Upright Position!
It's So Simple it's Funny....and It's Amazing it took me So darn Long to come up with it!!!
All that's left is fabricating the Trigger lock / release latch, which I plan on making from a Car Hood latch with cable release. Once again ...."Necessity Is The Mother of Invention."
Soon as I have it all working well I will make another Video and Post It. Thanks again for all the advice.

#25 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted April 15, 2011 - 06:48 PM

Well Guys I Finally Got the Farmall Super A Rear Mounted Bucket to Dump and Return WITHOUT the use of Hydraulics....It May Look & Sound Simple But Believe Me , This Took A Lot of Blood, Sweat & Tears...& a Few BandAids....But She Works Great!!!!!!!!

YouTube - Farmall Super A Rear Loader Finished & Working!

#26 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted April 15, 2011 - 07:00 PM

Pretty cool Dano! That is using your noodle. Have you tried it digging in the dirt yet?

#27 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 15, 2011 - 07:15 PM

Good Job DanO, Looks like it will work just fine.

#28 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1978
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted April 16, 2011 - 09:33 AM

Could you just use a 12 volt actuator and mount a separate 12 volt deep cycle battery and make a separate system with switch. The draw from an actuator is not very much. The battery should last for a few days before needing charging again or you could buy a cheap solar trickle charger and stick it somewhere to charge it. I just finished reading the thread and it looks great so I guess no need for the actuator.

Edited by JoshBrown, April 16, 2011 - 09:40 AM.

#29 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted April 16, 2011 - 12:07 PM

Believe Me, I was very tempted to use a 12 volt back up power source, just charge it as needed but I was Soooooooooo Hell Bent on making this darn thing work manually that I resisted the temptation to give up and give in to a back up power source of any kind. I'm Glad I kept my Nose to the Grindstone and came up with this solution that works Great.
The Garage Door Springs and grade 8 Bolts are all that I bought, everything else is recycled from my "Inventory of Precious Metals" So the total final cost was about $25

#30 JoshBrown OFFLINE  

JoshBrown

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1978
  • 20 Thanks
  • 277 posts

Posted April 16, 2011 - 04:25 PM

Yeah the trip bucket looks sweet!! I like how you added those shock absorbers. I personally would rather have the trip mechanism as the actuator but was just throwing it out there.