#1 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1918
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 12:54 PM

Need Help!!!!! Like to get some input from you guys to help me solve this Puzzle I have. I am trying to fabricate a rear Scoop & Dump Loader Bucket for my '53 Farmall Super A. It's all coming togeather well, as you can see if care to watch my first two videos on You Tube....But I am Now in the Final Stage and My Last Problem is Dumping the Bucket. I am leaning towards some type of Trip Bucket Mechanism but I am Concerned about the "Big Bang" that will happen every time it's triggered, thus sending shock waves through the entire rig & possible having collateral damage over time. FYI : I can NOT use a Electric Winch because the Tractor is 6 Volt. Here is the latest video of it all working, just taken this weekend. Any ideas , advice etc. are Gladly welcomed.
Thanks for your input, Dan O'
YouTube - Farmall Super A Spring Update

Attached Thumbnails

• Bucket up2.jpg

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 01:05 PM

Dan, Does the A have a ear hydraulic outlet? If so, put a cylinder on it. The other thing is, unless you have something in the travel for it to hit, there shouldn't be a big bang, just a swinging motion back and forth..

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 01:12 PM

That Super A is really a good tractor. Nice job on the dump bucket.
  • DanO said thank you

#4 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 01:38 PM

That Super A is really a good tractor. Nice job on the dump bucket.

There's no way of taking off the Existing Hydraulics......That would of been waaaaaaaay too easy!
I'd like to have some kinda control over the bucket movement if possible.....Just to be safe...
I Can't Believe I can't find any Close up Pics or Videos of a Good Trip Bucket Mecanism to copy...I know how they work, kinda like a self locking gate Latch but would like to find one to actually see up close and copy.
I'm Actually thinking about using a Truck Latch From a old car as the release Trigger.

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 02:16 PM

You can't tee off ahead of valve body to run another circut? Just asking to see if I can help.

#6 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 02:23 PM

Dan ,Take a look at these old plans, maybe they will help you

http://www.vintagepr...orscoopplan.pdf
  • ducky and MH81 have said thanks

#7 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 05:51 PM

Hey Brian, That Plan was really interesting...don't know if I can use it but I like it a lot anyway!
I am NOT 100% Sure But I have been Told by some guys who have Farmall Super A's that you can NOT tee off this type of system, I haven't totally given up the idea but I Really don't think it's possible. I Really Do Appreciate you trying to come up with a Plan, all suggestions are Gladly welcomed.
I also thought of using a seperate Power steering pump but that would involve changing the Gen. Pulley and don't know if there is room.

#8 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 08:14 PM

Dano, Here are 2 ideas for you. First is something like on my trip bucket loader. The bucket has the latch that holds it in place and when you pull back to release the latch the bucket swings to dump of course but lots of these loaders had a pretty good size return spring to help return and relatch the bucket when you dumped it. With just a manure bucket it didn't take a lot to swing it backup and get it to latch again. I have a snow bucket added to my loader and that is way more weight than the spring can relatch the bucket but it might help take some of the bang out of the bucket when it hits the stops during dumping.
Here are some pictures of my loader setup.

hhc hydraulics 010.JPG

The other option would be to tap into the hydraulic system and add a 2 way valve and a cylinder to dump the bucket. My Super C has the same hydraulic system as your super A does and mine had a block added between where the hydraulic lines bolt to the lift unit. My C had a loader on it when I bought it and this block was where the hydraulic valve was plumbed into to run the loader. The loader had live hydraulic action and the rockshafts still worked the same. I took the loader off of this tractor and removed the 2 way valve but left the block in place. I had to loop the in and out lines from the 2 way valve back together into the block when I removed the valve.. For now here are a couple of pictures of the block on my C.

hhc hydraulics 002.JPG

Check out ebay item #290547696764. That should be the block you need to add another hydraulic valve to your Super A

Attached Thumbnails

• hhc hydraulics 015.JPG
  • hhc hydraulics 012.JPG
  • hhc hydraulics 011.JPG
  • hhc hydraulics 014.JPG
  • hhc hydraulics 007.JPG
  • hhc hydraulics 005.JPG
  • hhc hydraulics 004.JPG
  • hhc hydraulics 008.JPG

Edited by tractormike, March 21, 2011 - 10:08 PM.
added info

• MH81 and DanO have said thanks

#9 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 10:14 PM

Mike, Those are two Great Ideas and Very Good Pictures. Regarding the Hydraulics, I'll definitely have to look into that some more, have to admit, I am NOT very familiar with the workings of hydraulics at all, but regarding the trip bucket, I was actually just thinking about a Spring return system using HD garage door Springs, some are rated at 200 lbs each or more. I kinda hate to mess with the Hydraulics if I can solve the problem with a trip bucket system, so I'm gonna keep going in that direction for now I think. I Really Do Appreciate all Your Help Very Much. Like to see Pics & Video of that Whole Tractor!

#10 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 05:33 AM

Glad to be able to help Dano. Here is a video of my farmall H with the loader on it. This loader is the one that was on my C when I bought it. I redrilled the front mounts and installed it on the H. The H is bigger thatn the C and handles the loader well.

YouTube - 1952 Farmall H with farmhand loader

#11 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 06:15 AM

That's Funny Mike....I've seen your video before and commented on it 2 Months Ago!!! Never knew it was you! My User name is MrDanoconnor....I'm subscribed to your YouTube channel.!!!!!!!!
That Farmall Tractor of Your is Beautiful.

Edited by DanO, March 22, 2011 - 07:15 AM.

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 06:48 AM

I would put those garage door springs inside a pipe or something in case they broke. Then you wouldn't have them flying all over or possibly at you. Those things can be dangerous. Could run a cable through them.

KennyP

Edited by KennyP, March 22, 2011 - 06:49 AM.
Added comment

• DanO said thank you

#13 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 07:12 AM

Absolutely Right Kenny, either that or Run a Cable through them, fastened at both points so if they do snap it's Controled...I've done this with all garage Door Springs I have Installed for people over the years, a customer had one snap and bust right through her car windshield once....those things are under tremendous tension.

#14 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 153 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 07:25 AM

Hey Tractor Mike, Does This Look Familiar!!!!!!!!!! I'll Be Damned, the Block is on my Super A and I never even knew what it was!! It's not as Big as yours but it has 3 Allen Nut that I'm assuming will come out & I can tap off ??? Like I admited before, when it comes to working Hydraulics, "I don't know 'Nuttin, I'm a Dummy"....Now I have to figure out exactly what componants I need to make this work, I have a Long ram From a old Snow Plow , it's the Valves, controls and other fittings I'll need some help figuring out what to buy & the exact layout. I'm excited about the possibility that this may work out.....

Attached Thumbnails

• Super a Hy 1.JPG
  • Super A Hy 3.JPG

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 07:51 AM

That would be a much better solution if it will work. Glad you know what damage those springs can/will do. Some others may not, that's why I said something.
KennyP