• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 premio53 OFFLINE  

premio53
  • Member No: 69814
  • 2 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted April 25, 2015 - 08:05 PM

Hi everone.  I would like to enquire as to whether anyone knows of any lawn and garden tractors under $2500 with a k57 or better transmission other than the Husqvarna Fast Tractor.  In another thread I was talking about brand names and lack of transparency with tractors sold at some stores.  I hope no one misunderstands and thinks I believe Husqvarna doesn't make a good product.  On the contrary the Fast Tractor I bought is the best cutting tractor I have had so far.  I'm just hoping it holds out longer than the previous tractor I had which only lasted 3 years before the transmission went south.

My son in law is about to buy a home where he will be cutting maybe 3 or 4 acres of land.  He is trying to find something in the $2500 range with a 48" cut and I was trying to help him find something.  It if difficult sometimes to find out a lot details when it comes to the exact transmission and other things one might be concerned with.

Is there something better than the Fast Tractor under $3000?

#2 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,492 Thanks
  • 3,380 posts

Posted April 25, 2015 - 08:17 PM

For mowing only, a zero turn is near impossible to beat. Several in the 44-50" are available for near that money.

#3 premio53 OFFLINE  

premio53
  • Member No: 69814
  • 2 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted April 25, 2015 - 08:44 PM

For mowing only, a zero turn is near impossible to beat. Several in the 44-50" are available for near that money.

Yes.  I am going to recommend he look at them.  I am still paranoid when it comes to the transmissions though.  I have heard that some of the zero turns have only light duty transmissions and aren't much better with cutting than a regulare tractor unless there are a lot of trees and other obstacles to mow around.  Also I've read unless you go up to close to $4000 they are not good for any kind of hilly terrain and certainly any kind of cart pulling is out of the question.

• toppop52 said thank you

#4 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted April 25, 2015 - 09:35 PM

don't buy new.  that $2500 will go a lot farther!

• Cat385B said thank you

#5 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,492 Thanks
  • 3,380 posts

Posted April 25, 2015 - 09:45 PM

Well, my Simplicity built Craftsman ZTR with 20 h.p. Kohler and 44" cut, has around 350 hours and 10 years, mows 1.5 acres including around some trees and buildings, in a shade over an hour and 15 minutes. That includes a very steep septic mound. They don't need real heavy transmissions, they either have two, or use wheel motors. I have other tractors but have pulled a pair of jet skis, a utility trailer, a lawn roller with 50 gallons of water, etc... Now I wouldn't pull the roller up the mound with it, but for light towing it's fine. No matter how fast or tight turning a tractor mower is, a zero turn is still better at maneuvering, therefore will almost always be faster finishing. Nothing makes a prettier cut than my Deutz Allis 1920 with the 48" deck (Simplicity built), looks like a barber did it, has super tight turn and takes about 40 minutes longer to mow the same area. It will do a lot of jobs way better than the ZTR, but not mowing. If he really needs a tractor for other work, that's one thing, but if all he's gonna do is mow and maybe pull a spreader or small cart, a ZTR will do it fine.

#6 pTrevor OFFLINE  

pTrevor
  • Member No: 69215
  • 1 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 12, 2015 - 06:50 AM

Try looking for some sellers in you area on http://trantr.com business directory website. I always look for such thing there