9 replies to this topic

#1 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 12:02 PM

Well, I started work on restoring my MF 10 this weekend and part of that process will require a way to remove rust and paint without sandblasting. Electrolosis looks like the way to go for me. I built this tak out of a 32 gallon trash can using rebar for my annodes. I planned to actually try this out this weekend, but spring apparently was just a tease as we have freezing temps and snow again today so I'll probably hold off a week or so. Any suggestions/comments on my tank is appreciated as this is the first time I've tried this. If I'm successful with this attempt I plan to build a bigger tank later this spring/early summer out of an IBC container to strip my larger parts.

Picture 018.jpg

I know my welding sucks so you don't need to point that detail out to me....

I will also fess up on a little mishap I had while constructing this. I'm always careful about fire when I'm welding but apprently I need to be more careful when cutting. I cut the rebar using an angle grinder and a cut-off wheel. Being in a hurry, I was holding the rebar off the floor with my boot and cutting, in a sense, sort of between my legs. Well, the shower of sparks somehow managed to ignite the leg to my jeans! I burned a nice 2" diameter hole and escaped with only some slight reddening of my calf. Extremely lucky for such a dumb move....

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 01:00 PM

I have burnt lots of clothing over the years between grinding and welding. Glad you didn't get burnt worse then what you did.

My only comment I can make is regarding using rebar as the electrodes. I learned from when we did the 250 gallon tank that the rebar proved to be a pain in the arse to clean. With your tank being smaller it wouldn't take too long to clean them. I plan on using flat stock when I build our next electrode cage. I also learned that the whole electrolysis process doesn't work the best in cold weather so I think you are on a good plan with waiting a week or two till the weather warms up some more.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 01:02 PM

I haven't tried this yet, but was wondering if you could run 2 pieces across the bottom to help out on line of sight. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come along shortly.
KennyP

#4 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 01:20 PM

Nice set up. Good thing about the minor injury only. Certainly could have been much worse.

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 02:22 PM

I haven't tried this yet, but was wondering if you could run 2 pieces across the bottom to help out on line of sight. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come along shortly.
KennyP

It would definitely help especially on a smaller tank where line of sight is a factor.

#6 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 02:53 PM

So...connect a couple of my verticle rods together along the bottom? Parrellel to each other or should/could they cross?

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 06:38 PM

I would just put two rods parallel with each other across the bottom. Doesn't need to be fancy as it will still give coverage for the bottom area of the parts you are cooking.

#8 lowrider OFFLINE  

lowrider

• Member No: 5529
  • 1 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted August 24, 2011 - 12:44 AM

It looks good tractorholic. Hope to hear more about your MF10 as the project goes along. I'm working on an MF12.

Lowrider

#9 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 24, 2011 - 04:28 AM

That looks good DMF.

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted August 24, 2011 - 04:53 AM

Here's a pic of mine. You can see 8 rods sticking out. These go across the bottom, also.

Image006 (Small).jpg
  • lowrider said thank you