DIY Bolens TubeFrame Sleeve Hitch

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted April 25, 2015 - 10:33 AM

I know we have had several of these made recently & being inspired by this I thought of making one myself. This will be for my H16.

Mine started out as some scrap that had been used to make road barriers a friend gave me years ago. I cut it down to workable material & flattened out the long piece that was bent.

Hitch1.jpg Hitch2.jpg Hitch3.jpg

I laid out the marks for cutting 2/3rds through the flat stock for bending later. The drawing that I used had ID of the long legs of the hitch tight against the insides of the axle flanges of my tractor. This measurement was 10 7/8ths. The nose of the hitch was 5" so I added another 1/4" to this making it 5 1/4" wide. This will spread the legs apart to give me 11 1/8th wide. Doing this will allow the long legs of the hitch to lay exactly in the middle of each axle flange area to work up & without rubbing against the flange. 

Hitch4.jpg Hitch5.jpg

I first made a cut 2/3rds through the flat stock with an angle grinder using a metal cutting disc. I then took a metal grinding disc & made a V cut along this line. When the grinding disc cuts for a few minutes it develops a nice V shape that cuts a perfect angle for bending.

Hitch6.jpg Hitch8.jpg Hitch7.jpg Hitch9.jpg

Its raining today so next I will weld up all the cuts then cut the other pieces. Thanks for looking!

• pharmer, boyscout862, KC9KAS and 2 others have said thanks

#2 pharmer OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted April 25, 2015 - 03:19 PM

Wow...it's like you're in my head. I'm actually in the process of doing that same exact thing.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#3 sodisr OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9153
  • 648 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted April 26, 2015 - 11:49 AM

Looking good....   That's how I did mine...

• Sawdust said thank you

#4 Little Irish Men OFFLINE  

Little Irish Men
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 61934
  • 659 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 07:23 PM

Is there any way that your pic and info can be pinn or save for a down load on the manuals ?  . . I think that is a darn good way to make a sleeve hitch. 

• Sawdust said thank you