• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Curtis1480 OFFLINE  

Curtis1480
  • Member No: 69912
  • 19 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted April 25, 2015 - 08:37 AM

Hi guys, new to the forum. I bought a GT20 a few years ago, super happy with this machine. The previous owner attempted to rebuild the power steering unit and he failed miserably, ruining the valve ring assy (didn't get the little springs lined up properly which cracked the valve ring when he torqued it down). He then converted it to manual steering and sold the tractor to me. As a tool and die maker I have decided to make a new ring as the replacement part is over $300. Here is my problem, I have all but one hydraulic line required accept for the one that runs from the hydraulic control valve (on the fender) to the steering unit. Jacks want over $100 for this line so I figure ill just have a line made up, only problem is I don't know how long it should be or if the fittings should be straight or angled. does anyone have a spare line that they could measure up for me? maby take a few pic? my other problem is not being able to figure out the routing on these lines, they run very close to the tranny fan and rock shafts. if someone could take some detailed pic of the hose routing I would really appreciate it!!!!!                         Thanks in advance      -Curtis

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted April 25, 2015 - 08:55 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum. Give the folks a bit to find this. Hopefully some one can get you an answer. In the meantime, show us your tractor. Pic uploading is fairly pain free, just click on the link in my signature below for a video.

#3 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,559 Thanks
  • 3,940 posts

Posted April 25, 2015 - 10:45 AM

Welcome to the forums! I will see if I can get any pics of mine. It might be a day or so until I get them and some measurements.

• Curtis1480 said thank you

#4 djordje33 OFFLINE  

djordje33
  • Member No: 62653
  • 20 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 09:43 AM

Check on JD's parts for steering column. They are more prevalent and thus better prices. Ross manufactured most of the columns for these garden tractors. http://jdpc.deere.co...PageServlet_Alt 

I'm currently upgrading my GT18's to 5-port steering, but I have some extra internal steering valve parts from other builds. 

• Curtis1480 said thank you

#5 Curtis1480 OFFLINE  

Curtis1480
  • 19 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 05:28 PM

#18 is the part I need, I have already finished reverse engineering the part but I am waiting for machine time at work to machine the part. we are so busy at work that it could be weeks before I can fit it in so if anyone has this component id like to buy it if possible. 

http://www.jackssmal...ariens/3725/324

djordje33   Thanks for the link to the JD site but all the steering units I found had a slightly different valve ring assy than our ariens use, half the price but I don't want to risk it not working properly as I wont be able to return it after installing.

Edited by Curtis1480, April 28, 2015 - 05:32 PM.

#6 Curtis1480 OFFLINE  

Curtis1480
  • 19 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted April 29, 2015 - 09:37 PM

I now have the lengths and fitting types of all the hydro hoses for the gt series tractors if anyone else needs them. Still hoping for some pics of the routing under the inspection cover.

Edited by Curtis1480, April 29, 2015 - 09:38 PM.

#7 Curtis1480 OFFLINE  

Curtis1480
  • 19 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 11:49 AM

Update.

If anyone is looking for replacement parts for their steering unit I have found a MUCH cheaper source for the parts! The valve ring assy i needed was $318 + shipping from jacks small engines. I aquired the part directly from Parker Hydraulics for $125. Your local Parker Store is your best bet! 

• shorty and Billy M have said thanks

#8 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted May 13, 2015 - 01:02 PM

Update.

If anyone is looking for replacement parts for their steering unit I have found a MUCH cheaper source for the parts! The valve ring assy i needed was $318 + shipping from jacks small engines. I aquired the part directly from Parker Hydraulics for $125. Your local Parker Store is your best bet! 

Nice!  There is a Parker Store right down the road from where I work.  I had them make all new hydraulic lines for my tractors.  Much cheaper!  Is there any specific model number for the steering unit you needed to give them, or did you just take the steering assembly in with you?  I just added a Grand Sierra to my fleet, so I have two power steering Ariens, including the GT18.

#9 Curtis1480 OFFLINE  

Curtis1480
  • 19 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 11:28 AM

yea you need to go on the parker website and submit an inqury first with the model number stamped into your steering unit (mine was HSK10001A5) and tell them what parts you need. Someone from Parker will email you back with part numbers which you can bring to your local Parker store.

• shorty and Billy M have said thanks

#10 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 01:56 PM

Sounds good.  Thanks for the info.  All is well for now, but it's nice to have solutions before problems.

#11 Curtis1480 OFFLINE  

Curtis1480
  • 19 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted June 19, 2015 - 11:28 AM

UPDATE:

I was told that special order parts from Parker would have a 20 day lead time. It took 40 days for me to recieve the parts, however the wait was well worth it considering i saved over $200 on the parts i needed. Now i just have reassemble with all the new parts and seals.