After updating the carb on my SS18 it made two trips around the yard before I hit some tall thick grass going too fast and not enough throttle...it bogged down of course with a clogged deck and stalled. Cleared the deck but discovered it was stuck in 2nd gear.
Was just going to pull the stick but lots of gunk, dirt etc. around the shifter area and did not want to get any crud inside the diff so I decided to drop it out. Good thing as I found the top two upper diff to frame bolts loose and one of the lower bolts snapped off when I tried to remove it. The other three were not loose but also not tight.
Upper mount threads cleaned up OK, amazing by the condition of the bolts!
Once on the bench I removed the shifter and was able to get it back in neutral with a small prybar. The shift gate was bent in a few places but a drift and BFH got it back in perfect shape along with a little light touch up with Mr. Dremel to clean up some rough edges.
Drained the gear oil and it looked like new! Always nice to see that. Now for that dang broken bolt. Opted not to go the drill and not so easy out method. 50/50 odds it will be a bad day going that way!
Fired up the MIG and welded up a nice big blob on the busted bolt, grabbed it with the Vise grips and took my time working it back and forth until it was out. Threads also OK here so new bolts and tomorrow back in it goes. When I do the P224G repower later this year I'll split the diff cases and make sure all is good inside but since the gear oil looked so clean it should be in good shape.