4 replies to this topic

#1 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 09:29 PM

Ok guys, I could use some help with the center pto on my Agco Allis 918H tractor.

Last fall I was using the tractor mow my yard when the pto drive belt broke. At that time everything worked fine and the tractor mowed good too. So I finally bought a new pto belt but couldn't get the deck to engage very well. It turns out the pto clutch drum was worn out. After a fast trip to the local Simplicity dealer I bought a new one and this is where more of my problems started.

I did my best to try to adjust everything correctly but I don't think I did. Right after everything went back together I had decent clearance between the tire and pto clutch, the clearance was also good with the old one too. So I proceed to make a few short passed with the deck engaged. I made it maybe 150-200 ft overall and the deck belt came off a pulley. After quick fix I was back in business until the belt came off the pto pulley. The deck might have been engaged for a total of 45 seconds at this point. That's when I noticed the pto clutch came into contact with the tire and wore some of the tire down.

Has anyone had a similar issue before or does anyone know the proper procedure to adjust one of these pto setups?

• hamman and RolandNaw have said thanks

#2 M.Cain OFFLINE  

M.Cain
  • Member No: 68107
  • 185 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted April 25, 2015 - 10:01 AM

I wondering if you don't have a bad bearing in the bevel gear box or a bad idler pulley.

Edited by M.Cain, April 25, 2015 - 10:01 AM.

#3 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted April 25, 2015 - 07:00 PM

something isn't quite right you should even beable to install chains on the tire's without the clutch rubbing. If I remember  correctly there is a collar that goes on the shaft that comes out of the bevel gear box. I'am pretty certain that collar only goes onto that shaft one way,because it has a step in one end.I'am pretty certain that has to go into the gear box because the oil seal some how uses that to seal against.It's almost like your clutch drum isn't seating properly and not dropping down far enough or onto the shaft far enough. Something isn't quite right.Your going to need to have to pull it off and see why it's not seating properly. Like I mentioned you can even run chains and you'll have room.

#4 Sdhdcouple OFFLINE  

Sdhdcouple
  • Member No: 44143
  • 143 Thanks
  • 153 posts

Posted April 25, 2015 - 09:36 PM

if you want me too, tomorrow I can go take pictures of my 918 so you can compare them to your tractor, maybe looking at another one you might see something not right.

#5 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted April 30, 2015 - 11:42 PM

What size tires are you running on that beast? I trust you're running a 48" deck. What size belt are you using? I also assume you preloaded the PTO using the lever under the left rear axle.

Edited by skunkhome, April 30, 2015 - 11:45 PM.