greese gun

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sodisr OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9153
  • 648 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 10:19 AM

I have an almost new grease gun from my local hardware.. Iv'e run a few tubes thru it and it worked fine..

I just replaced a new tube and I can't get it to prime..  It's got the air-out valve on top that don't seem to help,,,Iv'e taken it apart and see the grease is full all the way to the lever and hose... Iv'e pumped very slow waiting for it to catch and start pumping..

I'm kinda at my witts end,,, This wasn't a cheap gun either... any tips or tricks I should be trying..????

Thanks     Sodi...

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,275 Thanks
  • 4,031 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 10:55 AM

They all have there own little tricks, Have you tried pulling the rod back and locking it so you can force the cup forward a bit?

If not pull the rod back and lock it in place in cup, then set end of rod on a bench or hard surface, now hold the air- out valve while pushing down on on gun to force air out. While pumping the gun also.

Another trick is to loosen the top a few turns while pumping, you can do this with the above trick also.

Being I am constantly doing PM's on Industrial Equipment, I have had plenty of experiences with stubborn grease guns lol. :wallbanging:

Good luck! :thumbs:

• tinbender7, Cvans, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#3 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 11:03 AM

I have to burp mine too sometimes by loosening the top while pumping. I think the air pocket in some tubes are more than others causes this.
  • boyscout862 and sodisr have said thanks

#4 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 221 Thanks
  • 211 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 11:20 AM

I have pulled the rod out the whole way and hold on to it tight and use centrifugal force (spinning it around at arms length)to get the grease into the pump. It works!
  • chris m, sodisr, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#5 Oldford OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 570 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 11:47 AM

Sometimes i have to remove the screw top, you have to pull the rod back first.  With the top off i let the rod in a little at a time until the cartridge moves off the barrel.  Then i push the cartridge into the barrel to force up a small mound of grease.

I smear some grease around the inside of the cap to cover the exit hole, then screw it back on over the grease mound. 

You may have to move the rod & cartridge back and forth a couple times to get the mound just the right size to eliminate air and still go back together, good luck

• sodisr said thank you

#6 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,533 Thanks
  • 6,384 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 12:59 PM

Chinese guns the worst. I finally went out and bought "Professional" one for almost $50 and like it better, but still have to bleed. Was wondering what air ones are like, same issues, or cheap ones no good, etc.?  Turning upside down  and let set and then bleed screw out a bit and pumping many times. YOu have REAL mess if the grease comes out plug after you drop it, or if you release the piston rod when it is apart. Just heard those things..........Hee!  I have best luck with one of those little small cartridge ones. Still put on a hose for it, but it hardly fails, just have to change more often cause it is out before you know it. I also have the trigger type guns now, no big lever anymore that needs 3 hands to run it while trying to get tip on the zerk and hold and pump all at once! But, hand gets tired quick if doing many fittings!  Kind of like other things in life, you have to switch hands sometimes. :smilewink:

• sodisr, Sawdust and Bill 76 have said thanks

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,405 Thanks
  • 3,817 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 01:26 PM

Sometimes I have to turn mine upside down and give it a little love tap on the tractor tire.  :deadhorse:

• sodisr and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,264 Thanks
  • 949 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 03:23 PM

Take the hose loose from the pump and try pumping to see if that will the airlock out.
  • sodisr said thank you

#9 sodisr OFFLINE  

• 648 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted May 15, 2015 - 09:45 AM

Still no luck getting the gun primed...    This can get very frustrating , and very messy... NEVER had this much trouble before... 

#10 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,689 Thanks
  • 39,064 posts

Posted May 15, 2015 - 09:58 AM

Still no luck getting the gun primed...    This can get very frustrating , and very messy... NEVER had this much trouble before... 

Usually loosening the top will let the air escape. Is there grease trying to come out the air release when you open it? If not, sounds like the plunger isn't pushing on the grease inside the tube.

• sodisr said thank you

#11 sodisr OFFLINE  

• 648 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted May 16, 2015 - 09:36 AM

I got it...........   Most people would have given up on this long ago...   But I figured,, this isn't rocket science,,and it has minimal moving pieces..

I put another gun tube on the pump side,, it didn't  work...  I took the  other pump on the defective gun tube,,it worked... SO I know it's the def. pump..   

I degreased the bad pump and was about to dismantle it when I saw degreaser being pushed out a small hole on the tube side ( underneath )....I pushed a small piece of wire into the hole ,,,and with the flex hose removed,, I pushed up a small spring and ball bearing.. I proceeded to clean that and found a little strip of what looks like cellophane..

It appears the cellophane was holding the little ball bearing off it's seat and when I would pump it ,, it would just pump it right back into the tube, with no back pressure,,acting like it wasn't getting primed..   The little ball is the size of this letter  (  o  )  and the cone shaped spring against it.. I assume it is also a small bleeder or air out...   Anyway My new grease gun works like new again.... :dancingbanana:

Thanks to all who help resolve this frustrating issue and their tips and tricks to a must have tool we all use every day..

• KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks