#1 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6989
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 09:04 AM

Well I have had this Horse for 30 years and bought it used for $400 because they guy said it won't start. I put new points in it and it took right off. It had a little knock so I filled the bearing cap a little and it has worked great all this time. It never had a bumper or carb guard as most people called them. No problem I always looked out for the carb and never had a problem. Well my son used it for the first time last night and ran it into my garage breaking off the carb. Go figure! 

Well I bought a new carb for it years ago at a sale so that was covered but I would like to find a bumper/guard for it. Are they around? Not sure what to look for as I don't have a parts book for it.

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 09:30 AM

Check in our Manuals Section. I'm sure that I have seen the manuals for Troybilt Horse Tillers in there including the good shop manual. As far as the guard, they are hit or miss at shows. I picked up the front plow for $10 years ago and the Hiller/Furrower for $5 last summer. I find the prices are better at the swap meets than on EPAY or CL.

How old is your son? I've gotten alot of damaged mowers for free because young guys figured breaking them would mean that they wouldn't have to do the yardwork. One guy had his kid using the old hand reel mower to teach him a lesson. Turning a garden with a shovel will make a person appreciate a tiller. Good Luck, Rick

#3 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 10:59 AM

Tell your son don't feel too bad. My dad bought his horse brand new in 1976. Unloaded the crate, put her together and off he went into garden (what operators manual? LOL). He proceeded to ram it into a fence post after first past as he shifted to high instead in nuetral, snapped carb right off. After replacing carb, he read manual then ordered a brush guard.

You will have to search CL, evilbay or the likes sometimes they pop up. I use the dozer blade on dad's to plow snow.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#4 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 11:58 AM

My son is 21 and it was his garden and his choice to do the work. Guess I better get a manual and make him read it. I have always worried about that carb sticking out there that is why I was so careful. At 21 he still doesn't think all the time!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 12:31 PM

My son is 21 and it was his garden and his choice to do the work. Guess I better get a manual and make him read it. I have always worried about that carb sticking out there that is why I was so careful. At 21 he still doesn't think all the time!

My 21 year old is the same. We probably were too. Although, fear of the punishment from the old man made me very carefull. Good Luck, Rick

Bottom of this page and on the next are some of the manuals  http://gardentractor...r_key=all&st=15   . There are others somewhere.

#6 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 07:21 PM

There was a grill / brush guard offered, I see it pop on the tillers for sale all the time, maybe you might think about one or fab'in up one to save the front and carb.

Edited by trowel, April 24, 2015 - 07:21 PM.

#7 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,304 Thanks
  • 973 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 10:43 PM

My used Horse didn't have one so I fabbed one up from some small chrome display rack sq tube I had on hand.

Mike

#8 saxman ONLINE  

saxman
  • Member No: 63302
  • 3 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted April 25, 2015 - 05:18 AM

When I bought my Horse new in 1992 it came with a bumper. I was talking with one of the mechanics at the dealership, he said a customer had purchased a Horse and didn't have a bumper, while tilling his spot behind a outbuilding he hit a root and the tiller lunged forward right into the building. It hit hard enough it tried to push the crankshaft out the back of the engine block

#9 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 08:30 AM

So I had time to put the new carb on and started it up. It ran fine almost like it had never ran before. Then when I shut it off the fuel was running out of the carb so I took it back off and checked the float. It was sticking a little so I replaced the little rubber seat on the float valve as it was sticking. Put it back together and started it. It would not run worth a crap. it sounded like it was flooded all the time. So I took the carb back off and checked everything even the float level. All was good so I put it back on and it still would not run. I pulled the plug and it was a little wet and it was a Champion so I replaced it with an AC plug. Started it up and it ran like a champ. I think I will gather all my Champion spark plugs up and throw them as far as I can. This is about the 3rd time Champion plugs have caused me frustration.

#10 Racinbob OFFLINE  

Racinbob
  • Member No: 55951
  • 69 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 11:04 AM

I just did a quick search on Ebay and there quite a few listed. I search 'troy bilt bumper'.

#11 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 08:28 AM

So I had time to put the new carb on and started it up. It ran fine almost like it had never ran before. Then when I shut it off the fuel was running out of the carb so I took it back off and checked the float. It was sticking a little so I replaced the little rubber seat on the float valve as it was sticking. Put it back together and started it. It would not run worth a crap. it sounded like it was flooded all the time. So I took the carb back off and checked everything even the float level. All was good so I put it back on and it still would not run. I pulled the plug and it was a little wet and it was a Champion so I replaced it with an AC plug. Started it up and it ran like a champ. I think I will gather all my Champion spark plugs up and throw them as far as I can. This is about the 3rd time Champion plugs have caused me frustration.

how long had that Champion plug been in there? Plugs are cheap, and none last "forever". 

#12 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 08:59 AM

2 years maybe 3

#13 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 01:44 PM

Replace it, gap the new one to .030. Tech carbs are a pain, one of the worst.

#14 DanP OFFLINE  

DanP

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 276 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 03:12 PM

Hope this video works.

I installed the new carb and it would not run right. I took the carb off and checked for dirt and checked the float level, put it back on and it still did not run. I cleaned the points and checked the flywheel key. Still did not run right, I took the Champion plug out and replaced it with a new AC plug, started it and it ran fine. Yesterday I was going to move it from the shop to the storage shed and started it up and it would not run right. I have adjusted and readjusted the carb with no luck. I wonder if anyone can give me any ideas what to do as I am at a loss.

https://youtu.be/wGGw3bIyyhg

Attached Files

Edited by DanP, May 04, 2015 - 03:44 PM.