11 replies to this topic

#1 Dpregs OFFLINE  

Dpregs
  • Member No: 51663
  • 72 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 08:56 AM

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get my mower deck back in working order.  Deck itself is solid, needs some clean up and paint, but no structural problems on it.  The only problem I see is with the spindles.  I thought I could just take them off and refurb them, but it looks like you have to purchase it as a unit....and of course they are NLA.  I also need the rail that is under the left side of the deck and the deflector.

here is the pics of the spindles, is there any way to refurb these, or are there other parts that would work in place of the NLA parts?

spindle1.jpg spindle2.jpg

• Traill95 said thank you

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 01:17 PM

I don't know decks real well, but most have spindles you can unbolt, and seems if you find same bolt down type and numbers of bolts, most should be same. Say some MTD deck, many out there dead. If you go to swap-meets and such, there are usually piles of old decks at the sites. I was told little interest in old decks and hard to sell by those offering. You might find one just like yours even. there may be different blade mountings that need diff blade centers on some. If they are real bad, you might try to remove the pulleys and unbolt the whole thing and looke for snap rings or collars with pins or other things and see if you can get apart. Then try to find just bearings at an auto or bearing store. Biggest issue may be the tension you might need between them to hold in place, say a tube or such that is in the casing. And maybe shim washers for same. Did you try Parts Tree or similar places for them? Sometimes when there is demand, a company will make the spindles after-market if the call for them is great enough and they have solutions to stock ones.

• KennyP and tinbender7 have said thanks

#3 Dpregs OFFLINE  

Dpregs
  • 72 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted April 26, 2015 - 05:43 AM

Thanks grumpy.  I will have to find a swap meet in the area, never been to one, not sure how to even find one.

As for the spindle assembly, no visible way to take it apart, but there has got to be some way.  Just have to look harder I guess.  The deck itself is in fine shape, just getting the spindles in order and it is go time.

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted April 26, 2015 - 06:15 AM

Is this for the deck on the 1985 in your signature? What are the dimensions for the mounting holes? The sponsors may have some spindles for this. It would be nice if we could find the model # of the deck. I'll see if I can look at my GT18 deck today, it's about the same year.

What is the 917 # for your GT18? The two manuals I have for GT18's list 2 different mandrels (spindles) #'s.

Edited by KennyP, April 26, 2015 - 06:25 AM.

#5 Dpregs OFFLINE  

Dpregs
  • 72 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted April 26, 2015 - 06:10 PM

Yes, it is from the one in my sig.

Holes in mounting plate are:
3 1/2" on center
4 1/8" on center

Looked for tag on deck for model number, no luck.

uploadfromtaptalk1430089799657.jpg
  • KennyP said thank you

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted April 26, 2015 - 07:54 PM

On that tractor model, the two outer mandrels/spindles are part # 105194X. The center one is 106038X. That may help you cross them over somewhere.

#7 Dpregs OFFLINE  

Dpregs
  • 72 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 07:49 AM

Thanks Kenny!  If anyone knows off hand about a crossover.... :)

#8 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 08:11 AM

Check out this spindle. It is listed in the manual for a 917.255915 GT18. Might work.

• Dpregs said thank you

#9 Dpregs OFFLINE  

Dpregs
  • 72 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 08:18 AM

Thanks again!  I will do some more measuring when I get home.  Then might order one and see.  i just wish I could get the current one apart.  Wish I knew if that top "nut" is just a cover with a nut under it.    

Looking at it again, the round mounting plate might not line up.....yes...i know...more specs.  I will do that tonight.

Edited by Dpregs, April 27, 2015 - 08:21 AM.

#10 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 08:21 AM

If the above one will work, it's cheaper here.

#11 indslpwr04 OFFLINE  

indslpwr04
  • Member No: 71143
  • 26 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted May 28, 2015 - 02:28 PM

Throw the part number in an ebay search.  Most places on there that sell kits have the original number in the description

#12 Dpregs OFFLINE  

Dpregs
  • 72 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted June 27, 2015 - 06:02 AM

Not sure how I missed your replies, but thank you guys!  I tried to disassemble the originals, but that was all sorts of brutal.  Tried drilling out the broken off screws...no luck.  Broke multiple drill bits (the good ones even), tried to get pulley off, seems to be welded on.  I will look for replacements, might just be easier!