Posted April 29, 2015 - 09:35 PM

old tecumsehs are lookin pretty good about now

#32 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 988 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted September 22, 2015 - 11:40 PM

Well I would actually rather not let most young people I have met work on anything with moving parts and with the state of things here there is no money in servicing equipment anymore. This is not to say that I in any way think this is a good idea for any motor but when the quality of the personnel is so substandard it only makes sense to eliminate any chance that they may interfere with the substandard engine! Only my opinion!
  • Bill 76 said thank you

#33 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,417 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 05:15 AM

ROTFLMAO!! Really! Come on folks, look at the younger generation, it is a real shame honestly!! I will say I am not guilty of any part of it! I fix everything I can, and try to buy only repairable things! My wife loves how frugal I am, but hates that iI'm so danged picky LOL! Ah yes, come on tough times... I'm ready, are you!!

#34 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,387 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 06:20 AM

One problem with just adding oil is that when you burn oil, contaminants are being concentrated in the base, so adding new oil is still pouring clean into dirty, unless...

The new engines are sealed so tightly, and the fueling system is so well metered, that fuel can't bypass the rings and contaminate the oil, of course tolerance and balance would have to be such that wear is bare minimal and few wear particles are ending up in the oil.

Some auto manufacturers have experimented with this over the years, but all I know of gave it up. There are many automatic transmission's though, with lifetime lube that never need changing. Honestly, with modern cars, the EFI systems and build tolerances are such, that if you change your oil and filter every 10,000 miles, you'd never know the difference. I'm telling you this as an about to retire service manager.

#35 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted September 24, 2015 - 12:30 PM

old tecumsehs are lookin pretty good about now

Been saying that for years now, I have always had great service out of them, seemingly unlike most people.

#36 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted October 04, 2015 - 10:08 PM

Just capitalizing on people's laziness! As somebody said, most people have been treating push mowers like this for years! I've picked up push mowers left on the side of the road with oil as black and thick as tar in them. No way they have EVER been changed!  The amazing thing is that most of them are still running once you clean them up - usually the carb is all clogged is why they stopped and got chucked out!

Leave it to Briggs to capitalize on the public's lack of maintenance and turn it into a selling feature! But most sheeple are conditioned to believe that things should not last more than a couple years anyway, then you have to throw it out and go buy a new one! Amazing how far we have come......

• Alc said thank you