• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 04:03 AM

OK, the oil burns but what about any crap/sludge in the bottom of the crankcase??

• boyscout862, dodge trucker and Bill 76 have said thanks

#17 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,049 Thanks
  • 778 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 06:22 AM

WOW! what a sales pitch!.....good ole p.t.barnum! he was right!

• boyscout862, oldedeeres, dodge trucker and 1 other said thanks

#18 grattone ONLINE  

grattone
  • Member No: 66237
  • 222 Thanks
  • 167 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 06:40 AM

This is why a bunch of old farts, restore old equipment. They don't make them like they did. And the yuppies will say we cant except change.

Gratton

• jpackard56, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 4 others have said thanks

#19 WHdbJD ONLINE  

WHdbJD

• Member No: 8367
  • 584 Thanks
  • 456 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 06:48 AM

Was looking at a flyer today and found something that made me look twice,it was about mowers and such and what stuck out was 
Quote--just check and add oil feature never change oil--Unquote.This was the new Briggs EXI engine.So I looked it up on Briggs web site and sure enough it said never needs oil change due to a bunch of fantastic features.Now I have been playing around with engines for over fifty years and I don't and never will believe that some super duper air filter and cooler running temp will let the oil live forever . Maybe they have a plan to have it run until it's out of warranty. 

What do you guys think ?                                                               Bill

Quote--just check and add oil feature never change oil--Unquote

They may be counting on most people NOT checking and adding...
sell them a new mower when the "old" one locks up.
  • boyscout862, dodge trucker, Chopperhed and 1 other said thanks

#20 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 07:15 AM

I'm guessing they may have put synthetic oil in them and they have a service life of less than 200hrs. For a lawn mower on a small lot it will probably last for 10 yrs or longer. I think the expectations of the average consumer are so low now that they can do stuff like this and it will sell because it's easier to buy a new mower than to change the oil once a year on the old one. 

• Alc, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#21 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,794 Thanks
  • 7,541 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 07:17 AM

When I saw the title, I thought that this was going to be about the new bridge in San Francisco. They just opened it after 25 years of waiting. Every month there is a new report about something wrong with it that is going to cost billions to fix. The powers that were incharge picked the design that all of the professionals were against and they picked a foreign contractor. They were suprised that it took an extra decade and an extra $10 Billion to build. Now all the bolts have to be replaced because they are substandard and the anchors don't appear to be deep enough. Poor design and poor materials is certainly planned obsolescence.

Since most people leave gas in their mower for the winter, It is realistic to figure they will be buying a new one every couple of years. Its the stupid tax. Good luck, Rick

• Bill 76 said thank you

#22 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,156 Thanks
  • 4,502 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 07:31 AM

All it takes is a shot of Sta-bail in the gas on the last fill you expect to use it for the year.  If it has a metal gas tank, fill it up.  Moisture don't condense in a fluid occupied area or plastic containers (unless left outside in the open of course).  Have used it for years and do not drain anything.  If the seals and gaskets are kept wet they don't dry out.  This spring a year old mower started on first pull.  10 yo line trimmer took about 5.  A wood splitter used only in the fall is started a few times during the summer and it usually fires and runs on about the third or fourth pull.  Sta-bail won't make the fuel last forever but it will keep it good through the off season.  My experience of more years than I want to remember.  Been retired for 20.

• boyscout862, oldedeeres, dodge trucker and 2 others have said thanks

#23 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 07:41 AM

Perfect sales gimmick for our use it & throw it away minded people. Never have to worry about nasty used oil just add & go. Five years later if they remember to add oil they'll be buying another one.
  • boyscout862, dodge trucker, Bill 76 and 1 other said thanks

#24 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 08:24 AM

Two more thoughts:

They may be counting on most people NOT checking and adding...
sell them a new mower when the "old" one locks up.

This is a good point. They can just say you haven't checked the oil and ran it low. It's hard to prove you check it regularly.

Second, this isn't a new feature at all. I bet 95% of walk-behind mowers out there have never had the oil changed...
  • Alc, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#25 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 08:56 AM

And for the environmentally aware, you don't have the problem of disposing of all that nasty dirty oil,  :D .

• WHdbJD, boyscout862, dodge trucker and 2 others have said thanks

#26 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,691 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 10:29 AM

This indeed does exist.

This was designed to help the people who dont know what a screw driver is IMO , Just use then dispose when it quits.

makes me sick!

The new Cub Cadet Enduro series is supposed to be equipped with blue tooth technology! WTF, just what everyone needs! :wallbanging:

It may be built like crap but it has a cup holder and music entertainment!!!!

Television equipped will be next :wallbanging:

• MH81, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#27 Bud W ONLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 11:42 AM

It should have a sealed gas tank too, like a BIC lighter, just throw it away when it's empty.
  • MH81, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#28 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 04:08 PM

It should have a sealed gas tank too, like a BIC lighter, just throw it away when it's empty.

Don't give them any ideas.... coming soon to a store near you, the all new, all plastic, **!#@**!!.  :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana:   Be the first in your neighbourhood to have one.

• trowel, boyscout862, dodge trucker and 1 other said thanks

#29 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 06:46 PM

You mean to say ,...

Don't give them any ideas....   Be the first target in your neighbourhood to have one.

:thumbs:

• oldedeeres, dodge trucker, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#30 stiemmy ONLINE  

stiemmy
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53712
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 1,106 posts

Posted April 26, 2015 - 08:02 PM

It's proven that small engines in general are poorly, and most times NEVER serviced. People yank the mower out of the shed in spring, toss gas in it, and yank the cord till it comes to life. At the end of the year, yep, put away, and never thought of till spring again. This goes on till it either quits, or ?, and then they go buy a new one.

This technology has been in development by Briggs for a while now. Is this a good idea? Maybe for some, but count me out!!! I could spout my engine favorite list, but that would be off topic. What is on topic is the FACT that I would take any of my least favorite maker's SERVICEABLE engines over one of these!!!!!

• MH81 and Bill 76 have said thanks