• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,629 Thanks
  • 1,043 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 09:22 PM

Was looking at a flyer today and found something that made me look twice,it was about mowers and such and what stuck out was 

Quote--just check and add oil feature never change oil--Unquote.This was the new Briggs EXI engine.So I looked it up on Briggs web site and sure enough it said never needs oil change due to a bunch of fantastic features.Now I have been playing around with engines for over fifty years and I don't and never will believe that some super duper air filter and cooler running temp will let the oil live forever . Maybe they have a plan to have it run until it's out of warranty. 

What do you guys think ?                                                               Bill 

• hamman, boyscout862, TimW and 4 others have said thanks

#2 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 39654
  • 1,335 Thanks
  • 1,457 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 09:23 PM

Sound odd to me.

• boyscout862 and Bill 76 have said thanks

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,747 Thanks
  • 2,726 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 09:27 PM

Well just about everything new sucks today so......................

• boyscout862, dodge trucker, Bill 76 and 1 other said thanks

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,245 Thanks
  • 29,699 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 09:27 PM

I think it is designed to where it burns enough oil that you have to put oil into it more often.  Thus it won't stay all old oil.

• MH81, KennyP, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#5 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,262 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 09:35 PM

They'll never convince me!!

#6 larrybl OFFLINE  

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,786 Thanks
  • 3,246 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 09:35 PM

Same with sealed transmissions. They grenade right after the warranty runs out. :mad2:

• boyscout862, oldedeeres, Bill 76 and 1 other said thanks

#7 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

• Member No: 20120
  • 1,842 Thanks
  • 1,064 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 09:44 PM

Sounds to me that they are saying the oil will outlive the engine.

• Alc, boyscout862, WNYTractorTinkerer and 3 others have said thanks

#8 Canawler OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,880 Thanks
  • 1,744 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 09:53 PM

I just checked on the Briggs website to see exactly what this is about. I agree with you, this is silly. Will the oil itself break down? Maybe, maybe not. With a high quality synthetic the actual oil can last a very long time without degrading but it WILL use up the additives in the oil eventually. The oil might not be broken down but it'll be worn out to the point that it won't be providing optimal protection. Real world... you might not even notice it but the engine probably won't last as long as it could.

On second thought, maybe they're using a lower quality oil that burns off so fast you have to add fresh oil each time you use the engine. ;-)

Edited by Canawler, April 23, 2015 - 09:57 PM.

• boyscout862, dodge trucker and Bill 76 have said thanks

#9 propane1 ONLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,888 Thanks
  • 3,119 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 09:55 PM

Most small engines call for , to change the oil every 25 hrs. Maybe these engines only run for 24.99 hrs then blow up, that way you would never have to change the oil. Just a thought, Noel.
  • boyscout862, dodge trucker, HANKG and 1 other said thanks

#10 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,399 Thanks
  • 1,863 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 09:56 PM

sounds like they want to sell a bunch of them,  right along with the rest of this throw a way world...

I remember seeing ads for Fords "lubed for life" front ends on cars, heck I remember  having to remove grease plugs and replace them with zerks too when I 1st started fixing cars for a living

when they were on the roads seems like we had a run on ford ball joints, tie rod ends, idler arms, center links,,,

I think Briggs will find the same thing. 
I also remember my Grandpa having a 70 Hornet with an engine that leaked everywhere an engine could leak plus burned a little oil, he never changed oil just the filter about 2X a year. 

but with a typical small engine there is no filter so that crap stays inside, even if it did bun oil, what ever (crap)collects in the sump needs to be let out occasionally too.

Edited by dodge trucker, April 23, 2015 - 10:00 PM.

• boyscout862, Bill 76 and propane1 have said thanks

#11 TimW OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10778
  • 367 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 10:29 PM

The other angle may be to sell the growingly lazy and non mechanical public on this super cool feature.  "Hey look, we don't have to navigate this complicated maze of finding our wrench in the drawer and turning things, draining things, spilling things, refilling things".  I might be a bit odd, but few things to me are more satisfying than watching dirty oil hit the pan and then pouring in clean fresh stuff.  

• boyscout862, oldedeeres, dodge trucker and 1 other said thanks

#12 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,175 Thanks
  • 2,254 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 10:59 PM

Ummmm Oooooh Kaaaaay!

I hope to heck I don't have to work on one any time soon.By the looks of it they are Aluminum bore engines with OHV in a Rocker box like the old OHV Tecumseh engines.Not sure of how they expect the oil to stay Clean with Aluminum cylinder particles floating around in the oil.Looks like they are designed to Burn and Leak oil? :loosing_it:

HAHAHA Just found a parts diagram of an EXI Briggs engine.By the looks of it they don't expect these engines to last very long.I think it's safe to say these are a Throw away engine.

That new Carb looks like it's gona be a NASTY one to clean and rebuild.It uses some sort of Jet cartridge with 3 jets in it.To many rubber O-Rings and gaskets to count.

Image.jpg Image1.jpg Image2.jpg

• boyscout862, dodge trucker and Bill 76 have said thanks

#13 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

• Member No: 61995
  • 887 Thanks
  • 545 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 12:26 AM

I doubt it's set up to burn oil. If it did, they couldn't sell it in California due to emissions laws. I have my doubts on it too, but things have changed a lot in the last few years. Our truck engines can now go 60k miles between oil and filter changes. Drive axles can go over 250k.

I suspect it's a combination of technology changes and counting on people getting rid of it before things go bad with the engine itself. Think about how many people you know that go buy a new mower in the spring because they let fuel go bad during the winter. They don't think about the mower until they need to mow the grass in the spring. It won't start, they drive a car, not a truck, and don't have a way to get the mower to the shop and even if they did they don't want to or can't wait for their carb to be cleaned. So they go to Lowes, lay down the Visa card and then next day a new mower shows up. Repeat every few years.

And for people not changing their own oil, I blame their daddy's for not teaching them.
  • jpackard56, boyscout862, dodge trucker and 1 other said thanks

#14 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,629 Thanks
  • 1,043 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 02:01 AM

I think you guys hit the nail square on the head--some people don't know one end of a screw driver from the other.some are lazy and then ya got some that don't know any better or just don't care , then the  bunch that just shove em in the shed in the fall only to pull em out in the spring and  wonder why it don't start. 

Then we have the crowd that figures --well it's almost 3YEARS OLD lets just buy a new one nothing lasts forever. 

Briggs has quite the marketing gimmick going here making people think they have a moron proof mower.

oh well.more curb pickings for me----mowers in the spring and snow blowers in the fall--quick fix and filp em for $50   

• jpackard56, boyscout862 and dodge trucker have said thanks

#15 ckjakline OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,052 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 02:58 AM

I think it is designed to where it burns enough oil that you have to put oil into it more often.  Thus it won't stay all old oil.

The old engine in my truck was like that.It burned a quart a week.Every 3000 miles i just changed filter until i put different engine in.