• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • Member No: 61353
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 08:24 PM

trying to get the darn thing apart so I can clean it and check the float . I cant get the angled jet rod out, even modified a screwdriver to fit tight . what is the secret you brilliant tractor junkies use ? ( I mean that as a complement .. I am one also I am just a kid who never had the tonka truck or grader trying to relive my child hood with real toys )

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 08:29 PM

Brake fluid, kerosene, bucket and time.

#3 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 08:36 PM

Brake fluid, kerosene, bucket and time.

mix together or one at a time ? ratio ? what size bucket :D .... kidding

#4 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,319 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 08:40 PM

If after soaking, it still wont come out, and you have to drill it out, those arent standard threads. FYI they still sell new carbs
  • alec said thank you

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 08:41 PM

There are better ways, the guys will drop will voice there favs. I am old school.

50 to 50 mix, small bucket, enough to hold the carb under the fluids. Leave for a few days.

• superaben and alec have said thanks

#6 Tomwendt OFFLINE  

Tomwendt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 27676
  • 119 Thanks
  • 129 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 09:11 PM

or a week.

• Bill 76 and alec have said thanks

#7 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 09:38 PM

or a week.

only had a half pint of brake fluid so I put it in a coffee can and filled the can up to the top of the bowl . probably a 20/80 mix will it work or do I need more brake fluid ?

Edited by alec, April 23, 2015 - 10:10 PM.

#8 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 10:09 PM

Get the carb held very solid. Have a very good screw driver in place that will take a grip on the piece you are trying to turn out and while you hold down and have a good solid steady turning pressure on it , lightly tap it with a small hammer while still applying steady turning pressure. This may take two people to do correctly. Make sure every thing is solid. Hope fully this helps, Noel.
  • alec said thank you

#9 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,308 Thanks
  • 2,340 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 10:11 PM

You could try Boiling it if you don't care about trying to save the Float.

• alec said thank you

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 07:43 AM

Get the carb held very solid. Have a very good screw driver in place that will take a grip on the piece you are trying to turn out and while you hold down and have a good solid steady turning pressure on it , lightly tap it with a small hammer while still applying steady turning pressure. This may take two people to do correctly. Make sure every thing is solid. Hope fully this helps, Noel.

I had the very same problem with mine.  I put the carb in a swivel vice so the carb could be down on the wood bench to take the down pressure and the vise held it from turning.  Make SURE the screwdriver tip fits the slot tight and is NOT taper ground. Then like Noel said, steady down pressure and turning pressure while tapping on the screwdriver handle.  What probably happened is in the past when it was rebuilt, a screwdriver that was a bit to wide was used and damaged the threads, as well as tightened to tight.  Some people don't know when to stop turning.  Those threads are NEF, for National Extra Fine and takes a special Briggs tap to restore them (NLA)  If this don't work a replacement carb is the next  option.  Good luck,  As side note if you can find a 20 - 30 YO screwdriver that is a close fit and you file it to final fit will work better than a new on by far.  Lot better steel in those old ones.

• propane1 and alec have said thanks

#11 Sdhdcouple OFFLINE  

Sdhdcouple
  • Member No: 44143
  • 143 Thanks
  • 153 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 12:53 PM

I will toss this out, I have soaked things that I can't get apart in #2 diesel fuel.  I had and old lawnboy motor rusted up. put it in a pale dump some #2 donated from the trucking company I worked for, let it sit for a few days and then could turn it by hand.  just if you soak in #2 fuel you will have to replace all the seals.  but your going to rebuild it anyhow.

like I said that worked for me, but I am no junk yard genious. heck I can't even spell genius let alone be one. but we all have to have a goal in life.  I am working on my genius title, but have a long way to go. 

• WNYTractorTinkerer, propane1 and alec have said thanks

#12 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 07:30 PM

Alec, go easy on that emulsion tube. Patience, patience, patience.... You can buy new carbs... if you want to hand over $180.
  • alec said thank you

#13 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 08:05 PM

180 for a new one????? You can find new for half that online. I picked a few used ones on ebay for 15 to 20 bucks.
  • propane1 and alec have said thanks

#14 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,319 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted April 25, 2015 - 01:23 AM

If boogered up threads arent the reason for it not coming out, corrosion probably is. Try vinegar or lemon juice if the other stuff doesnt work. All it takes is the screwdriver to slip out of the slot once and it is hosed. The brass gets rounded off and you cant get a grip on it to get it out. Then you have to get creative. Easy outs will just shave off the brass and the best you can do is start drilling. When you do get it out, it wont seal up right and it will flood the carb when it isnt running if you dont put in a inline fuel shut off

• alec said thank you

#15 alec OFFLINE  

alec
  • 382 Thanks
  • 412 posts

Posted April 25, 2015 - 05:17 AM

Alec, go easy on that emulsion tube. Patience, patience, patience.... You can buy new carbs... if you want to hand over $180.

so yer sayin i should buy that other tractor with the brand new carb for 100 ?  :thumbs:    i am on it brother !!    and it has front and rear wheel weights and front and rear ag tires !