• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 MichaelBeck OFFLINE  

MichaelBeck
  • Member No: 69804
  • 89 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 02:12 PM

When I say adjusted right - I have followed the manual in setting it, I have it on hole #8, the furthest from centre

#32 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted April 27, 2015 - 05:07 PM

I would check to see if the governor lever itself is tightened to the shaft going into the engine, If its loose that may cause the delayed / no response at times.

The wisconsin manual will tell you how to re-adjust the gov. control lever if it slipped out of adjustment

• superaben and MichaelBeck have said thanks

#33 MichaelBeck OFFLINE  

MichaelBeck
  • 89 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 06:00 PM

Checked governor and it is okay. Carb has been re checked by the reconditioner and they are satisfied that is correct. Really running out of ideas with this one - it idles great but say at WOT it wont rev right up, but may all of sudden rev up to where it should be before dropping down. Sometimes it revs correctly for a few min before dropping down, othertimes not. Has good throttle response, just doesn't rev to where it should or hold a consistent RPM. Driving it feels like a small intermittent misfire.

#34 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 28, 2015 - 10:52 PM

I know you have new points, but I would pull the cover off one more time and file those suckers a little bit and take off any factory deposits.  Technically you are supposed to do that before installing them.  I've had new points not allow an engine to even fire before until I cleaned them.

When Kohlers act up like this, that is usually what the problem is.

Ben W. 

• MichaelBeck said thank you

#35 MichaelBeck OFFLINE  

MichaelBeck
  • 89 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted April 29, 2015 - 02:37 AM

Yes going to check points tomorrow, did clean them before installing but I am leaning toward an ignition problem here - if it were fuel or air it would always be a consistent problem but the random nature suggests ignition. I noticed I forgot to install the condenser clamp and its just attached by the wire, I will fix this before I tr it again of course but do you think a poorly /non grounded condenser could be the culprit?

#36 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted April 29, 2015 - 06:44 AM

...do you think a poorly /non grounded condenser could be the culprit?

It is possible.  ....To function properly, the condenser needs to be grounded through its case.

If it is bouncing around under the cover, it may be shorting the primary circuit to ground by contacting the copper strip.

• Bolens 1000, superaben and MichaelBeck have said thanks

#37 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,099 Thanks
  • 1,195 posts

Posted April 29, 2015 - 06:56 PM

As well as shorting it may also allow arcing at the points if it is not grounded properly which can cause a weak or intermittent spark and lead to burned contacts on the point set - the condenser (also called a capacitor in electrical terms) forms a L/C circuit with the primary winding of the coil.  Here is a link to a website which may explain it better _ http://www.brightspa...n a magneto.htm

• MichaelBeck said thank you

#38 MichaelBeck OFFLINE  

MichaelBeck
  • 89 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 08:49 PM

Hi folks, turned out the condenser theory was the one, properly grounded it and now the engine runs like new, adjusted the carb to get it just perfect, spark plug insulator shows just a hint of gray so is spot on. Thank you all for your help :)

#39 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 07:09 AM

Glad to hear your up and Running!!!