#1 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 01:10 PM

I get Northern Tool ads in mail and on-line and have bought things. Latest one had a Husq. lawn mower machine, much like the old Bolens articulated ones. Seemed pretty neat! 42" deck, but only 2 blades didn't seem that good, but what really threw me was the automatic deck engagement! Huh? Seems when you lower the deck is when it engages. How does that work? Also is side discharge, but must be left side, not shown in pix from right, all they had. That is kinda backwards. Is hydro pedal drive, 16" tires seemed good and all four same size. $1999 on sale of course, not sure shipping. I like you can go under bushes and such with deck out front. Been thinking Zero-turn, (wife wants more than me) and never really liked them, but hadn't tried one too much. Was thinking this would be just as good and have a steering wheel, rather than levers. No quick back-ups and such like Zeros, but what the heck. No snow blading either, would still need other machines for winter. Don't have a model at moment, just wondered if anyone has seen or owned such a rig and if liked? That deck engagement is the part I dis-like the most on it. OH, 19.5 hp Briggs. Is that a big single or a V-twin or ???

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

• MH81, HDWildBill and A.C.T. have said thanks

#2 twostacks OFFLINE  

twostacks

• Member No: 6470
  • 447 Thanks
  • 426 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 01:32 PM

I had a crappy '90,s MTD that the deck engaged that way. When you pull the lever all the way up to raise the deck it pulled the deck back and loosened the belt to disengage the blades. I never looked underneath but I guess the deck had springs mounted on the front that you would  pull against when it was raised. When the deck was lowered you could visibly see it move forward and tighten the belt. I wasn't a fan of that machine at all. 

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,686 Thanks
  • 8,884 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 03:15 PM

GL, is it made with Husqvarna or box store parts?
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 03:21 PM

The deck engagement has been used since the 90's, its spring loaded and all it does is tighten up on the belt

• Cat385B said thank you

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,228 Thanks
  • 28,593 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 07:40 PM

GL, you might be happier with a 300 series. They have attachments for it that might get you out of the hobby

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 08:24 AM

Now that is a nice little rig. Like the brush and gotta have a blade at my place! Looks well built, like the way it flips up and can change out implements pretty easy it seems. I'ld buy THAT if I could. Bet lots more money than $1995 tho, heh!