Officially started new side job today

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 39654
  • 1,335 Thanks
  • 1,457 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 06:49 PM

I usually have a 12 gauge propped up in the corner. I dont know if that would prevent that kind of thing or make them want to come back and steal it.

Probably a little bit of both!

#17 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 10:03 PM

I got to share this story. My wife bought me a distressed metal sign that read Trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot twice. I hung it near the driveway going back to my detached garage where I practically live. I was inside my work van not seen by two guys knocking on the front door...sales people. They seen my garage door open & started walking down the driveway. One guy grabbed the other & said check the sign out. The other one said woa I'm not going down there. I was watching them the whole time & laughing. I never did come out until they were gone.
  • KennyP, propane1 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#18 Cvans OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,344 Thanks
  • 4,934 posts

Posted April 24, 2015 - 08:17 PM

Just be prepared for the customers that you can't satisfy. They can really ruin your day. 

Other than that I hope this turns out good for you. 

• propane1 said thank you

#19 tater195 ONLINE  

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,261 Thanks
  • 897 posts

Posted April 25, 2015 - 01:11 AM

After reading some of the comments on here and a few emails from the ad, I am rethinking this. I usually try to drag the craigslist transactions out through emails and phone calls to get a feel for who I am dealing with and the 2 that I have got so far sound kinda flakey. I am not on face book but my wife is. I should be able to get enough work through friends and friends of friends. If that doesnt work, I might try to do some contract work with the 2 mower shops that are still open.

I had a little jam session in the shop tonight with a guy that has been out 30 times and a guy I have picked with a few times in town. The other guy brought out a few friends and I was Ok with that. They were not here 5 minutes before they commented on the compound bows that were hanging in the corner and a bunch of other stuff. I dont normally lock the shop and I dont want to start. If somebody wants in, its too easy to bust out a window or take a chainsaw to the garage door. Locks only keep out the honest people.

With a kid starting college, the extra money would be nice, but I havent had time to fish for the last 4 years the way it is.

I probably should set my goals a little lower.. even $100 a week is better than nothing. If the band thing works out, I can average that much on  Saturday nights. That should be enough to cover the dorm cost.

• propane1 said thank you