18 replies to this topic

#1 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 09:53 AM

After noticing that 2 of the local mower shops are closed this spring, I decided to kick my "under the radar" mower repair business up a notch and put an add on craigslist.

I have been working on mowers for friends, neighbors and co-workers for 30 years. I have never advertised and only work on stuff for close friends.

I figured I could spend a few hours a day working on other peoples junk and make some extra money (house payment kind of money). 

• hamman, trowel, tinbender7 and 9 others have said thanks

#2 dthomp17 ONLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 10:05 AM

Good luck, Hope it works out well for you.

• tinbender7, A.C.T. and tater195 have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,753 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 10:07 AM

Good Luck but remember there are alot of crooks on CL. One licensed full time dealer about 40miles away lost everything to a lawsuit over the flywheel brake on the mower he had changed the oil on. It is too scary to deal with the public these days. Stick with friends and family. For extra money pick up junks for free and resurrect them. Then sell them as is where is. Good Luck, Rick

• KennyP, tinbender7, LilysDad and 4 others have said thanks

#4 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 10:19 AM

Make a few bucks to buy more GT's!

• tinbender7, tater195 and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#5 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

• 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 10:47 AM

Good Luck but remember there are alot of crooks on CL. One licensed full time dealer about 40miles away lost everything to a lawsuit over the flywheel brake on the mower he had changed the oil on. It is too scary to deal with the public these days. Stick with friends and family. For extra money pick up junks for free and resurrect them. Then sell them as is where is. Good Luck, Rick

I did the freebee flippers on CL for a while. About the only thing I gained on those was experience. I got the money back that I invested in parts and $10 an hour for labor if I was lucky. The repair stuff I had been doing until now was mostly for retired / disabled neighbors and only charged them for what I had in parts. The other stuff was parts + $20/hr labor. I was doing 3 or 4 jobs a week, then turning stuff down due to working alot of overtime at work during mowing season. The over time has ended for a few years and my "regulars" moved on. 

I will mainly be doing maintenance type stuff that most people should be able to do on their own, but would rather pay someone else to do it. For example... they charge $160 for a "spring tune up"  on a riding mower around here.

I can get picky and I dont have a problem with turning down business. If I can get 20-40 good regular customers built up, I can stay busy and make some good money and wont advertise any more. 6-10 jobs a week is what I am shooting for

Edited by tater195, April 23, 2015 - 10:58 AM.

• KennyP, tinbender7, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#6 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 11:30 AM

I have been laid off from my job, so now what ???? I was thinking about doing a little mower repair, but do I want people at my house. Gives them a change to case out the joint and come back while your asleep and rob you. Noel

Happened to me before when I had my own propane business at my house.

Edited by propane1, April 23, 2015 - 11:33 AM.

• boyscout862 and tater195 have said thanks

#7 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

• 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 11:34 AM

I thought about that too. We have some nosy neighbors that keep an eye on the place. They are already used to seeing people hauling stuff in and out. Hard to tell the customers from the crooks.

• boyscout862, Sawdust and propane1 have said thanks

#8 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

• 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 11:39 AM

I have been laid off from my job, so now what ???? I was thinking about doing a little mower repair, but do I want people at my house. Gives them a change to case out the joint and come back while your asleep and rob you. Noel

Happened to me before when I had my own propane business at my house.

I have seen guys do stuff like this out of storage units. A guy at work got a fender replaced and painted at a U-store it in the city

• boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#9 Sawdust ONLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 01:01 PM

Congrats on your new endeavor hope it's all what you want it to be. I work from home a lot. If someone stops by & their eyes are wondering a lot I strike up a conversation how I have NO mercy for a thief. A few signs hanging in your shop about how you treat trespassers will give off good signals not to mention your big dog Guss that roams the shop at night.
  • boyscout862, propane1 and tater195 have said thanks

#10 Bolens800uk OFFLINE  

Bolens800uk
  • Member No: 63893
  • 1,162 Thanks
  • 916 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 03:08 PM

I do a similar thing over the winter to keep the money coming in. As part of my gardening business, I service lawn mowers by just jet washing the crap off it, lubricating the cables, change the plug, oil and air filter. I occasionally replace the blades as well. I do not repair mowers as it's a different kettle of fish altogether. I think I serviced 14 or 15 mowers this winter ranging from £45 to £70 per mower for an hour's work. Interestingly most of the mowers I service are Honda Izzy mowers and Haytere Harriers mowers.
  • boyscout862, Sawdust and propane1 have said thanks

#11 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,782 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 04:15 PM

Congrats on your new endeavor hope it's all what you want it to be. I work from home a lot. If someone stops by & their eyes are wondering a lot I strike up a conversation how I have NO mercy for a thief. A few signs hanging in your shop about how you treat trespassers will give off good signals not to mention your big dog Guss that roams the shop at night.

And a sign stating, "Property guarded by shotgun 5 nights a week....You guess what 5 nights", or "Nothing in this building worth you loosing your life over"

• boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#12 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 04:55 PM

That's a good one. Noel

#13 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 05:47 PM

You could carry a fake Smith & Wesson under your jacket!

#14 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 05:48 PM

Or put up lots of signs like this!

Attached Thumbnails

• $_121.JPG

• Sawdust said thank you

#15 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

• 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 06:00 PM

I usually have a 12 gauge propped up in the corner. I dont know if that would prevent that kind of thing or make them want to come back and steal it.

• Sawdust said thank you