daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 01:16 AM

Thanks to all who posted in my promise breaking post.  

I returned to the place today with cash in my pocket.  The same fellow greeted me and said I'll bet you are here to look at the tractor again.  I sure am I replied, I'm seriously interested in it.  So far, so good.

I said, you said you had a geared one too.  Yup, it's out back.  I explain I want a back up for mom and dad's place, something that will be a good mower.  Well, that deck has bad bearings, but the tractor runs great.  He leads me to a rough looking MF10.  It's plenty cheap, but deck is not up to speed.  I tell him, I'd like the hydro, let's go look it over.

He goes back into the shop and goes right behind the counter.  Then he says he has had them listed on the internet and a guy said he wants all three.  Three?  What is the other one?  He says it's a smaller one with an 8hp on it with only a plow blade.  He never mentioned it yesterday.  He says he'd like to sell them as a package and he's going to hear from the guy on Friday.  Hmmmmm, yesterday, he dropped his price by 150 like the tractor was on fire.  Today, he wants to hear from Mr I'll take all three.

I left, saying if it's here in a week or two, I'll stop back in.  I never told him I'd take it right then and there with cash in pocket of what he dropped to yesterday.  If it's there in a week or two, my offer will be a lot less, if I make one.

I never raised my voice or showed what I was thinking.  I was thinking many unkind thoughts and wanted to say unchristian like words.  Instead, I held my tongue and we'll see if it's there next week.  By the way, I asked again where all three came from.  An acquaintance traded him for a few pieces of equipment and they all came from a barn, that's all he knew.  Then I said I knew the Hydro came from a nearby community where I had seen it for years.  No come back.  I know it's the same one, big honking radio and two holes in the side?   Yeah, there could be two just like it, and I could be Cindy Crawford.

Thanks for listening.  I think I'm going to keep my tractor promise and take the cash and buy a new rifle.   I never promised to stop buying guns.  Besides, I gave my word. 

• NUTNDUN, Gtractor, MH81 and 11 others have said thanks

#2 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,443 Thanks
  • 3,991 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 01:33 AM

forget that guy and...

Edited by jd.rasentrac, April 23, 2015 - 01:38 AM.

• daytime dave, boyscout862, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,108 Thanks
  • 3,200 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 04:22 AM

That's to bad. Just dont like people like that. Noel
  • daytime dave and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 05:16 AM

Yeah, that's too bad Dave.

For that, the guy deserves an offer about another 150 below the

agreed price, in a couple weeks.

It would have been nice for you to have one for the Mrs. and you.

• daytime dave, Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 05:45 AM

It probably wasn't meant to be. I hope that you aren't planning to buy a brand new rifle as they are like the brand new tractors. Maybe when you go to look  at a pre-64 Winchester the guy will have a GT out back to throw in. Good Luck, Rick

• daytime dave and Sawdust have said thanks

#6 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 06:11 AM

On behalf of the rest of humanity, I apologize for this jerk.
Casey went thru a situation like this recently too, all we can hope is that what comes around, goes around.

#7 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,493 Thanks
  • 3,380 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 06:23 AM

People for whatever reason sometimes have too much time to think, they get seller's remorse, or think they've asked too little, or a buddy comes along. But, none of that matters if you give your word. Now, there can be misunderstandings where I say, maybe and he hears I'll take it! But usually for some reason, they change their view of the situation and think they are losing out somehow.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 06:33 AM

I never invest much hope in getting a tractor until it's home in my garage! Too many times things go off the rails for one reason or another. You find a lot of people who won't keep their word on a verbal agreement and every once in a while you will find a genuine honest and decent person to deal with. Those are the ones I remember! 

• daytime dave, Gtractor, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#9 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 07:40 AM

I've had my share of dealing's with seller's and buyer's. The greatest majority are the good honest people.The biggest thing is that it's the shady one's that seem to stand out and we seem to end up dwelling more on them then the good one's. Just think of the old saying ::: [one rotten egg,can ruin the whole bunch.] and that seems to hold true in every aspect of our daily live's. 

• daytime dave, JDBrian, boyscout862 and 5 others have said thanks

#10 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 09:13 AM

It probably wasn't meant to be. I hope that you aren't planning to buy a brand new rifle as they are like the brand new tractors. Maybe when you go to look  at a pre-64 Winchester the guy will have a GT out back to throw in. Good Luck, Rick

Rick,

before this deal came and went, I was planning to buy a new Henry pump .22lr.  If I found a pre-64 that I could afford, I'd be thinking about it.

• Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#11 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 09:43 AM

I've never regretted not buying a GT but there's one or 2 I regret having bought while ignoring "red flags."

After a few months i forget about "the one that got away."  There's always more to look at. 

When i finally find a better machine i'm glad i didn't pay good money for some shyster's headache. good luck

• daytime dave, JDBrian and boyscout862 have said thanks

#12 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,772 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 09:44 AM

Rick,

before this deal came and went, I was planning to buy a new Henry pump .22lr.  If I found a pre-64 that I could afford, I'd be thinking about it.

I've had 2 newer Marlin .22s break their firing pins. Our Troop used to shoot .22s at an indoor range once a month. When I was a scout in 1963, our camp had single shot bolt action Remington Nylon rifles. I still really like the Nylon 66 and 77s. I don't care for pumps because I had a couple of jams with pumps 40+ years ago in the Army. My real preference is .22 target quality rifles because you can hit precisely what you aim at. Proper gun control is putting a .22 into a 1/4 inch target everytime. I used to be able to do that with a bolt action .22 target. The others have too big of a grouping. Good Luck with whatever you decide and shoot safe, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, April 23, 2015 - 10:11 AM.

• daytime dave and oldedeeres have said thanks

#13 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 09:51 AM

I think I would still go back with cash & trailer. Like you mentioned I would offer less for a real good deal on your part. Of coarse that Henry sounds good too.  :D

Being in the construction business dealing with people daily along with buying & selling over the years regardless of what has been said you really don't have it unless it's in your hands. Of the five GT's I have I only bought one to return the next day to pick it up. He only wanted a small amount to hold it but I insisted on giving him the whole amount with a receipt. I know that was kind of stupid on my part but he had two other people coming that Thursday evening, one on Friday & another maybe on Saturday if he still had it. When I picked it up Friday morning he said the guy just left pretty mad. I won't say what I payed but I got a Cub 1250 Hydro with lift, deck & snow plow for less than the two implements.

• daytime dave, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#14 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 10:06 AM

David, I hate deals like that. But Boy, I would really love to own a Henry one of these days !!

• daytime dave, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#15 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,646 posts

Posted April 23, 2015 - 11:05 AM

For every bad guy (transaction) there seems to be a great one or two from my experience. Lost a ATV bucket from someone who sold it before I even had a chance to get there and pay his price. I was heartbroken because he led me to believe he'd hold it that long. Then I go on Craigslist again and pick up a running 1650 with 3 point for less than the price of the 3 point alone. Then I find out he had 5 others "looking at it" but they didn't love these like I did and he was holding out for someone who appreciated them too. Then along come a Scoop Tote for less than the price of the scrap metal in it because he knew it once belonged to my deceased father. There are still good folks out there. Hang in there, your patience will be rewarded.
  • daytime dave, JDBrian, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks