12 replies to this topic

#1 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1218
  • 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 05:27 PM

Well I went out to the auction in kempton pa yesterday and I wasnt really going to bid on anything, but then I came across something I could just not pass up....So I bid and won a 96-97 Troy Bilt GTX 20. Didnt pay much for it. I was able to start it and run it but noticed that the hydro feels like it doesnt want to go and when it does its very slow. Also none of the power steering or lift mechanisms work. It only has 69 hours on it....if its correct which the more i look at it, seems to be....It has a 2 speed rear which is hydrostatic, the front seal by the pump seems to have a leak and there also seems to be a leak by the top tube where the dipstick is. I have no real knowledge of these hydros and am going to need some help with this one. I really dont know where to start with it, I did remove the rear fender and gas tank and the hydro is totally visable now, but thats as far as I got. Is there a way to test it and see if indeed the pump is bad? I took quite a few pics of it so yous can see it. It is very well built and I want to fix her up because I know what our GTX 16 is like. It came with a 42" Deck similar to the 48" one the GTX 16 has, and by that I mean shaft driven with a gearbox, 3 blades, and same hookups as the 48". The tractor runs pretty well, and the deck is great, its just the hydro/hydraulics that I need help with. In one pic I took there is a Canns Bilco Service Sticker, which show an "A" service was performed in Feb. 2008... to give you a little history on this place...I found out about it from a guy interested in buying a bolens g14 I had a year ago. I never checked into the place though until recently, and what a great place it is..They no longer sell bolens/troy bilts but now sell kubota. Heres a Link: Pennsylvania Power Equipment Dealer: Lawn Mowers, Tractors, Snow Blowers, Trimmers Anyways I emailed them yesterday about what they do during this service so hopefully I will find out this week sometime. There is also a pic of the trans filter that shows the date of 6-3-2010 on it so the trans was serviced within the year, and upon saying that the fluid is right at full and is very clean looking. Please if anyone can help me with the diag of this tractor I will gladly give out my cell number if needed and address if you want to meet up and lend a hand.... Enjoy the Pics...Video to come....

Attached Thumbnails

• HPIM2049.jpg
  • HPIM2029.jpg
  • HPIM2031.jpg
  • HPIM2040.jpg
  • HPIM2044.jpg
  • HPIM2045.jpg
  • HPIM2030.jpg
  • HPIM2033.jpg
  • HPIM2041.jpg
  • HPIM2042.jpg
  • HPIM2032.jpg
  • HPIM2038.jpg
  • HPIM2039.jpg

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 07:10 PM

Congrats on the new Tractor.
I dont know too much about those, so hopefully someone will be able to help you out.

#3 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted March 20, 2011 - 08:14 PM

That is a great tractor. I remember when they came out. Nice find.

#4 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 06:44 PM

Well after looking at the old Bolens 1600 Eliminator manual I had, I found out both the gtx 20 and the 1600 have the same hydro eaton 11 pump which is what I believe is wrong with the GTX 20. After talking with the guy who bought the tractor for the deck only and the tractor itself for parts, (by the way this guy is the father of 2 of my friends that I went to school with), I was able to get the 1600 back for......only removing the seat off of it and giving him the steering parts which will be the front axle and the rod that goes from the steering gears to the axle...THAT'S IT!!!! I brought the tractor home this afternoon without the seat on which hurts your butt when you ride it by the way.....The tractor had not been running since I sold it to him in october or so last year, but I sprayed alittle starting fluid in it and she fired right up and runs and drives just like she did when I sold her....So here comes the task at hand. I need to rmove the hydro pump from both the troy bilt and the 1600, now here are my questions...What if anything must I do to remove these? Is there any special/easy way to do it? Thanks for any help...
Heres a pic from when I brought the 1600 home and a few with the gtx 20 fenders off.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2011-03-21_16-38-07_159.jpg
  • 2011-03-21_16-37-53_411.jpg
  • 2011-03-21_16-37-42_761.jpg
  • 2011-03-21_18-03-58_224.jpg

#5 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 21, 2011 - 07:27 PM

You are going through the same process I am going through with my Massey 1655. Apparently these Eatons don't stand up to a whole lot as this is like the third one now in a week or two LOL.

Have you checked the hydro fluid on the GTX yet? Other then that if you gotta pull the hydro out just make sure everything is out of the way. There should be four bolts holding the pump to the axle housing. Save one of the top ones for last unless you will have more room to remove it from the bottom. They have some weight to them, approx. 40 lbs and not fun to hold on to if something gets in the way. You will need an axle housing gasket. I got mine from partstree. There is a guy on ebay selling Eaton hydros out of Bolens for $79. He has keyed and splined shaft. I have a splined shaft coming for my 1655.

Pull the pump out of the GTX first and pull the pump apart. Depending what is wrong with it I might have good pieces from the hydro out of my 1655. My rotors and races are in great shape. I think the problem with mine is the pintle and the acceleration valves. I figured with mine it was just easier to get another hydro as it is a little bit of a process to get the check valves and acceleration valves out of it, plus parts that probably aren't available to put it back together.

If you look in the Massey section, you can check out my thread on the 1655 hydro problems.
  • Nascar3244888 said thank you

#6 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 03:52 AM

thanks for the info, I would love to fix the one in the gtx, and keep the one in the 1600 so I have 2 working tractors...The gtx fluid is clean and right at the full mark. If I could get another pump for mine which i believe the problem is with the gtx that would be great. I didnt know if I could get one or not.....It might have to be removed before I can see if its splined or keyed....also I never took one apart so I wasnt sure what I should do....So basically what u are saying is, I should pull the pump only or the entire hydro all together? Also Is there really any way to see if the pump is bad? I have worked on other tractor with hydros and there is a purge procedure for them...is there one for the gtx?? I just want to try and make sure it is the pump before removal.... Thanks for any help....also Does it matter what tractor I get a eaton from as long as its a eaton model 11? Sorry for so many q's....

Edited by Nascar3244888, March 22, 2011 - 04:07 AM.

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 04:49 AM

Hey congratulations on the tractor.

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 05:17 AM

I am far from knowing what I am doing with the hydros. The only reason I know about pulling it apart is because I just pulled mine apart. We have the Eaton 11 service manual in the manuals section. You just have to remove the hydro from the axle. Should be four bolts once you remove the drive shaft, linkages and any hoses that are in the way. Here is a link to the pump I just bought, he says he has a bunch of them both keyed and splined. Bolens h16xl xl Eliminator hydraulic pump splined eaton - eBay (item 220757606801 end time Mar-20-11 12:43:42 PDT)
  • Nascar3244888 said thank you

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,456 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 05:36 AM

Ford LGT 165s use the Eaton 11 pump also. Good luck and take lots of pics. I may have to do mine. Maybe you could start a new thread on just the pump itself. Then if someone else has problems, they can find info on the pump. Have you checked fluid level? Maybe it has an air lock, the filter looks new.

Edited by KennyP, March 22, 2011 - 05:38 AM.
Added comment

#10 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 10:54 AM

Ford LGT 165s use the Eaton 11 pump also. Good luck and take lots of pics. I may have to do mine. Maybe you could start a new thread on just the pump itself. Then if someone else has problems, they can find info on the pump. Have you checked fluid level? Maybe it has an air lock, the filter looks new.

I will most likely do this(start another thread), fluid is very clean and right at full....as far as air lock goes if it has this I have no idea how to check it....I can tell you the pumps front seal has a leak.....

#11 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 10:55 AM

Hey congratulations on the tractor.

Thanks

#12 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 11:00 AM

I am far from knowing what I am doing with the hydros. The only reason I know about pulling it apart is because I just pulled mine apart. We have the Eaton 11 service manual in the manuals section. You just have to remove the hydro from the axle. Should be four bolts once you remove the drive shaft, linkages and any hoses that are in the way. Here is a link to the pump I just bought, he says he has a bunch of them both keyed and splined. Bolens h16xl xl Eliminator hydraulic pump splined eaton - eBay (item 220757606801 end time Mar-20-11 12:43:42 PDT)

Just sent him a message....Thanks

#13 Nascar3244888 OFFLINE  

Nascar3244888

Tractorholic

• 164 Thanks
  • 593 posts

Posted March 22, 2011 - 11:28 AM

***** I Encourage Everyone to Check Out My New Thread On The Diag and Possible Replacement Of The Eaton 11 Hydro in My GTX 20 in The Bolens Section**********

*****If You Have Any Info That Would Benefit Not Only Myself But Also Other Users That Need Help With The Eaton 11 To Please Go To My New Thread*****

****LINK TO NEW THREAD****

http://gardentractor...placement-5256/

THANKS EVERYONE!!!